Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Windscreen Replacement - Hud Concern

MEP's Yaris GS

Hello all.

I've just had to have the screen on my PiP replaced after a stone chip decided to crack before it could be repaired :(

I've been paranoid about the HUD and what I've seen on here about replacement screens and ghosting etc.

When I called to book the car in, I was asked if it had a HUD, and confirmed it has. When being fitted the chap was telling me HUD screens are different as they way they're made and the laminate used is different to assist with the reflection etc.

This all sounded well and good and as though I won't be having an issue.....

So I've been out this evening after having the screen fitted, on first start up I had to significantly reposition the HUD to be able to see it which I thought was a little strange as surely the screen should be sitting in a very similar location?

I've now realised that I think I've an issue, although the projection is correctly focused, it appears that there is a change in the glass shape / thickness around where the HUD is, resulting in the projection becoming distorted as you move your head - very noticeable when the energy display bar is used along side the speedo. Also distracting I find no I've noticed it.

I've included a video, and was wonder if others can confirm if this is correct (I don't remember it doing this originally) and if I'm being paranoid. Would also be handy to know if you've still got your OEM screen or a replacement pattern part when you confirm if yours does this or not. Ignore the projection focusing in the video, its the phones camera not focusing on it correctly.

I've had two replacement windscreens for my Gen II in 40k miles, and one in the Gen III in 135k miles. No problems.

From memory, I think all were fitted by Autoglass.

Sadly, my Auris HSD doesn't have a HUD. A great loss.

I've not had my windscreen replaced but I'm sure I recall from the US forums that the replacement windscreen must have a special layer to reflect back the HUD display, or at least stop it from ghosting or shadowing.

I'm pretty sure my Hud doesn't distort that much, I'm still on my original screen.

Mine doesn't distort like that either.

• 2 weeks later...

Cheers guys, I've been in Italy for nearly 2 weeks, so has been a delay to the update on this. Before I went PeteB who lives locally very kindly popper around to mine with his Prius, and we had a comparison and confirmed I seem to have a defective screen.

I've spoken to the fitters, and they're fitting another on Thursday. Fingers crossed all will be good with the next screen. I'll keep you all updated.

• Like 1

I'm now on screen two, that same make screen as the first, and its the same :(

I'm going to trundle on down to my local dealer at some point in the next week, and get them to look and give their opinion, and a price on an OEM screen, and then call up the glazing company again and insist on a genuine screen if the main dealer indicates the pattern part is the cause of the issue.

Avoid Autoglass if you can very bad report on BBC watchdog last night.

• Like 1

Avoid Autoglass if you can very bad report on BBC watchdog last night.

Ta for the heads up (no pun intended), luckily it isn't autoglass, had issues with them before with our mk1 Yaris.

Hi,that's good, pretty damming report by watchdog on Autoglass,at the moment most of the big insurance company's list Autoglass as there main contact with windscreen repairs and replacements.If you go elswhere for replacements they usually want to charge a premium,after what I saw on Watchdog last night I would sooner pay the premium than let Autoglass near a car of mine.

Hmm, I'm insured by Axa, who use, you guessed it, Autoglass. :no:

I was already thinking about just paying my dealer if I needed a new one because of the various reports of HUD problems, but after seeing the Watchdog episode on iPlayer (2½ minutes in if anyone is interested) I'd be very worried if it even needed a chip repair.