Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Ecu Chip For Fuel Performance

Justin Adie

Hi
I have a LHD RAV4 D-CAT-D. 180bhp diesel car from 2007/8. 6 speed manual box.
when i bought it in 2008 the consumption was around 7l/100km. when it was recalled for an engine management revision the consumption went to 9-10l/100km. literally a difference between going into and out of the garage.

long motorway journeys at 135kmh average 10.3-10.5 l/100km. rural cycles are around 9.5L/100km. Urban cycles c.10 L/100km. this is validated against the pump as well as the digital display.

I don't accelerate hard; i don't drive particularly fast. the car goes in for a full service at least once a year. which tends to be c.8-10k miles.

toyota are wholly uninterested (I try once every 18 months or so) as they say the performance is within the acceptable range. from recollection mixed cycle was quoted at 47mpg. so i'm operating at about half of that at motorway cycles and urban, and about 55% on rural cycle.

I'm wondering whether there are any mod chips for this engine that improve fuel consumption?

thanks in advance,

Justin

Converting your figures to mpg:

7 litres/100km - 33.6mpg

9-10 litres/100km - 26-23.5 mpg

10.3-10.5 litres/100km - 22.8-22.4 mpg

9.5 litres/100km - 24.75 mpg

10 litres/100km - 23.5 mpg.

As far as I'm aware, the official figures were:

Combined - 42.8 mpg

Urban - 34.8 mpg

Extra urban - 50.4 mpg.

Honest John's Real MPG info is - http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/realmpg/toyota/rav4-2006/22-d-4d-t180

Your profile doesn't indicate whether you are in the UK or non-UK.

There are tuning kits that can help with fuel consumption - one of which is the chip that Lindop Toyota offer, but as far as I'm aware they only supply mainland UK. See: https://www.lindoptoyota.co.uk/page/aftersales/lindop-chip-kits

You probably need to carry out an internet search as to what may be available where you reside.

PM Me for more information

Kingo :thumbsup:

Frosty, you've used US gallons in your conversion ... :)

7 lp100k = ~40 mpg

8 lp100k = ~35 mpg

9 lp100k = ~31 mpg

Over 55,000 miles in my SR180 I averaged around 37 mpg = ~7.5 lp100k which included a lot of motorway driving at UK motorway speeds (so 110 kph).

The RAV has the aerodynamics of a brick so going faster will cost quite a lot more in fuel - I wouldn't expect to get better than 9-10 lp100k at 135kph. You could try driving more slowly as an experiment to see how much fuel that will save! (But ... ;))

Edit: ... and yes the official figures are quite a long way from a realistic expectation!

thanks all.

i suspect my average over 160k km has been closer to 9.8 l/100km. which i think is around 28mpg(imp).

I'm interested in these reports from users gaining 10mpg from modding the engine. it's unclear which mods give that kind of benefit - some appear to connect to the common rail and, I'd guess, just use air-temperature to modify injector timing. Some appear to connect to a number of sensor points to do the same. And there is a vast disparity in price, with single sensor versions costing around 80eur, and those sold by garages seeming to be about 400 eur.

it's a cost benefit analysis. If I can see a cost benefit within 12 months (10000 km) then it is worthwhile. And of course there is the secondary hurdle in France in that a mod will invalidate your insurance. so one the right chip is identified I will need to clear it with the insurers ...

thanks all.

i suspect my average over 160k km has been closer to 9.8 l/100km. which i think is around 28mpg(imp).

I'm interested in these reports from users gaining 10mpg from modding the engine. it's unclear which mods give that kind of benefit - some appear to connect to the common rail and, I'd guess, just use air-temperature to modify injector timing. Some appear to connect to a number of sensor points to do the same. And there is a vast disparity in price, with single sensor versions costing around 80eur, and those sold by garages seeming to be about 400 eur.

it's a cost benefit analysis. If I can see a cost benefit within 12 months (10000 km) then it is worthwhile. And of course there is the secondary hurdle in France in that a mod will invalidate your insurance. so one the right chip is identified I will need to clear it with the insurers ...

I can recommend the Lindop chip as I had it on my previous 2012 D-CAT auto and it performed extremely well: 12.5% improvement in MPG, smoother running, increased torque at lower revs.

It came with the added advantage of being supplied by a franchised dealer who uses it on their management cars. I also had to shop around a bit for an insurer who would cover the mod but it wasn't too dificult to find one (LV, in my case, in the UK).

I don't know however if Kingo supplies to France - can't see why not.....

Hi,

if anyone has any issues with insurance for chipped or re-mapped vehicles then please feel free to drop me a line.

Regards,

Dan.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links