Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Anyone Else Got Rot On The Rear Hatch?

Grumpy Cabbie

We have a 2010 IQ with 43k miles, and today I noticed some rot on the rear hatch just around the push button opener.

Anyone else got this? We keep our car clean and polished and as such surprised to find the beginnings of rot. The car does seem to throw up muck and salt onto the rear hatch and rear window and I'm wondering if some of this salt has worked its way into somewhere it shouldn't.

Does anyone know what the warranty is for paintwork and perforation and what terms apply and whether Toyota stand by them? I know on mechanicals Toyota are good with warranty claims, but I know from old age that most manufacturers try every get out clause when it comes to bodywork.

Appreciate any comments.

Warranty details - https://www.toyota.co.uk/caring-for-your-toyota/warranty/toyota-warranty.json

Paintwork and surface rust warranty is three years. Anti-corrosion and pefroration warranty is twelve years.

I'd be inclined to get your local Toyora dealer to inspect the corroded area.

Are you talking about actual rust through the paint work or a rust streak running down from the hatch handle/button release? If the later it is caused by a small steel bolt withing the button housing a swap to a stainless steel bolt will cure this.

• Like 1

It's a very significant rusty streak mark all around the hatch handle/button thingy. It has the look of rot to it but I do appreciate your comment about the steel bolt. Trip to dealers in order me thinks; esp whilst still in warranty.

Thanks again. I did think it odd that a modern car would have rot but the colour of the rust looked just the same as that early 80's Datsun I once owned - hence the panic :)

Interesting topic and replies, thanks all.

Soeley, would you happen to know the part number for a stainless steel replacement, or which models have it? I can then investigate accordingly. Thanks again.

Chris

iQ² ☆ black with red leather ☆ upgraded interior lighting ☆ white backlit dashboard/switches ☆ auto-folding mirrors ☆ smart entry ☆ auto-locking doors ☆ chrome exhaust ☆

Does that mean you have the rusty patch too?

Thanks to your post I'll be checking tomorrow. To be honest, whether it's rusty or not I'll be getting the part upgraded as a preventative measure :)

Chris

iQ² ☆ black with red leather ☆ upgraded interior lighting ☆ white backlit dashboard/switches ☆ auto-folding mirrors ☆ smart entry ☆ auto-locking doors ☆ chrome exhaust ☆

I get the rust satin/streak now and again. I wouldn't have a clue about part numbers for the bolt, I will try and have another look at it this week and measure the bolt, as it is a couple of years since I did look.

Is there a seal underneath the boot hatch button?

I'm guessing there should be to stop water getting behind the button and inside the door panel so maybe all it needs is the internal trim panel removing, remove the bolt that holds the button on, remove the button and clean the area up. The button could then be refitted with a bead of silicone sealer around the hole to stop water getting behind it again and attacking the bolt.

I haven't seen this problem yet on mine but now I'm concerned that water may be getting into the boot panel so will investigate sealing it better. I'll let you know what happens when I get time to look at that.

Craig.

If either of you are able to take photos of your boots/locks then I would really appreciate it! Thanks

Chris

Ok, first off I must apollogise for my memory failing me :o

It is not a bolt that is the cause of the rust streak, it appears to be the captive nut within the hatch handle/button release. A few simple steps to get to it....

First remove the interior trim panel from inside the hatch, it just pulls off, here is the back view to give an idea as to where the trim clips are.

WP_20150614_001_zps3lriuwlq.jpg

Undo the electrical connector to the lock mechanism, and remove the the three bolts securing it in place.

WP_20150614_002_zpsph3tyukz.jpg

With the lock removed you can see the back of the handle/button release. Undo the electrical connector and remove the bolt (no need to undo the screw at this point)

WP_20150614_003_zpszzpsv0q4.jpg

This is the handle/button release. Now you can undo the screw.

WP_20150614_004_zpszny7ttax.jpg

This is the bare handle, the bottom hole is the captive nut that seems to cause the streak.

WP_20150614_005_zpsf6gmw3mg.jpg

Last time I had this apart I copper-greased the nut and bolt and have not had the streak appear as much. There is no gasket or seal fitted between the handle/button release and bodywork, which did surprise me .

Hope this is of use to someone.

• Like 2

That is so helpful Soeley, thank you! Isn't there a replacement bolt that could do the job without rusting..? I wouldn't know where to start.

Chris

The actual bolt shows no sing of rust, it is the actual nut the bolt goes in to. I think just a good application of grease will sort it out.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links