Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Max Range On Zero Miles In Tank.

Swerve74

Colin, not sure your right about ALL having external fuel filters, are you referring to the Toyota range or All cars in general ?

True Diesels have external fuel filters but there are some petrol cars which have the petrol fuel filter in the petrol tank which is accessable

under the back seat.

Well, perhaps my statement was a bit sweeping of all cars but unless something has changed radically in the last decade (perhaps costs wise?), it tended to be the case through the 80s & 90s at least... External small plastic inline fuel filters were common to many of the (petrol) cars I have owned in the past.

Hi Colin,

yes your right about 70's/80's and 90's cars having external fuel filters. Not sure why the change to in tank filters on Petrol.

Maybe a safety thing. My Ford Focus was just after the tank, a nightmare to replace since it was open to all the elements and the

hose clamp bolts were seized so that also a possibility.

Actually, when you think about it, safety (e.g. in a crash) and exposure to the elements are quite good reasons for getting rid of them! :) (external types)

AFAIK all the Toyota VVTi's have their fuel filters in the tanks, only the D4D's have external ones.

A good thing too if you ever try biodiesel! (The first few tanks will strip all the crap out of the fuel system, leaving it shiny and clean, then dump it right in the filter so it's a good thing they're so easily changed on the D4D's!)

As for the air filter, it's normal that it blackens quickly - The proper white Toyota ones are supposedly statically charged and, esp. if you drive in urban areas, they will attract dust and soot and pollen and other particulates like nobody's business and will blacken surprisingly quickly, almost as quickly as the engine's air filter!

Real world I have always believed that it's a very bad idea to run on down to the dregs in your tank as you'll ingest all the crud that you get each time from the filling station.

Always a bit of a myth in my opinion. Fuel is always sucked from the bottom of the tank, be it full or empty. Now tanks are plastic and not metal, no rust deposits to cause issues either.

... Just to let you know I pulled my fuel filter to see what crap had been pulled through filter and it was pretty dirty even after 3000 miles, ...

So, does that mean that the fuel filter on an Auris is external to the fuel tank?

Fuel filters on all cars are external to the tank and have been for a number of years since they became small and easily replaceable...

Not so, some cars (petrols mainly) still use lifetime filters built into the pickup unit.
  • Like 1

Well my bikes petrol tank in the garage is leaking so it needs welding. During clean out of the dregs I came across about 250 mls of water with the petrol dregs and what looks like sand/dirt. There is some rust as well mainly due to the tank being steel, but I'm sure most car plastic petrol tanks have their pickup point a couple of mms up from the very bottom to avoid pulling through the crap that is always in the very bottom of the tank. By the way I got almost 250 mls out of my bike fuel tank even when reserve said empty.

Well my bikes petrol tank in the garage is leaking so it needs welding. During clean out of the dregs I came across about 250 mls of water with the petrol dregs and what looks like sand/dirt. There is some rust as well mainly due to the tank being steel, but I'm sure most car plastic petrol tanks have their pickup point a couple of mms up from the very bottom to avoid pulling through the crap that is always in the very bottom of the tank. By the way I got almost 250 mls out of my bike fuel tank even when reserve said empty.

But thats a metal tank, my point is all cars are now plastic - I've scrapped several cars from the early 90's all with plastic tanks and not one had any sediment what so ever in the bottom of their tanks when they were removed.

• Like 1

What is the IQ anomaly, please APS?

Not sure if this helps you barry, but when I had my 2012 model year iQ, I used to carefully brim the car each time and keep an accurate mileage and MPG log. The bottom strip would normally start flashing at about 4.5 to 5 litres left in the tank for me, or for me about 55 miles I'd think. The most I ever got into the tank and filler neck was 32.010 litres, must have been on fumes by then 8-)

When my RAV4 (2013 but previous style) gives me a fuel warning, its normally still got about 10-11 litres left in it or approx 90 miles by my average mpg.

Thanks for the warning on running out of fuel

Due to the warm weather i have been getting fantastic fuel consumption

My last three fill ups have been 570 mies - 42.469 litres to fill the tank, 580 miles - 41.511 litres to fill the tank and 569 miles - 38.142 litres to fill the tank

These have all been 40 miles after the range got to 0

Same here

I've done a few more longer trips recently, and on one tank I'd done 565 miles with the car saying I could do another 38. Indicated mpg was 71.1, calculated 67.18.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links