Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Keyless Entry Playing Up

experiax10

My cars keyless entry is playing up. Only this week it has started doing it, been fine up till now. Supposed to unlock as soon as you touch the handle, same goes for trying to lock it. When I press the lock button it doesn't always work first time, it can take a few attempts. Obvious first though is the batteries, how do I get these out of the fob?

I took mine to the Toyota dealer, cost less then £3, easy peasy

Could well be.

My keyless Yaris is a 59 plate and I only had it less then a year, so dont know how old the Battery was. I was at the Toyota dealer for a recall check and just got them to do it so I know where I am up to. I did have to be close to the car if I wanted to use the remote fob, now I can be well away, so it made a difference.

Instructions for changing the batteries on our Avensis and Auris are in the owners manuals. IIRC you pry them open. Be aware the keyless entry uses more Battery than a regular fob cos it's always "looking for" the car (it goes idle after a period tho, maybe two weeks).

I should add that there's a warning light on the dash of our Auris to let you know the Battery is getting low. I'm pretty sure the car beeped at us too

May also be interference from something near by. There are a few places I've parked where my remote entry fob just won't work no matter how close I am, but as soon as I get home it's fine again!

• 1 year later...

My 2011 Yaris key fob is always playing up.  Either it doesn't unlock/lock the car or i get in the car the the car doesn't think that the fob is in the car when i push the start button.  This means that i have to re-lock and then un-lock the car sometimes several times to get the car to start.  Every time i have taken it back to the dealer they can't find anything wrong with it.  This is driving me up the wall and i'm nearly at the point of selling the car due to this issue.  The mechanics think that the car is parked to close to the house and so the car can still detect the fob even when everything is locked up and the key is behind several brick walls.  Personally i think that sounds rubbish.  

Has anybody else experienced a problem like this?

3 hours ago, TWood said:

My 2011 Yaris key fob is always playing up.  Either it doesn't unlock/lock the car or i get in the car the the car doesn't think that the fob is in the car when i push the start button.  This means that i have to re-lock and then un-lock the car sometimes several times to get the car to start.  Every time i have taken it back to the dealer they can't find anything wrong with it.  This is driving me up the wall and i'm nearly at the point of selling the car due to this issue.  The mechanics think that the car is parked to close to the house and so the car can still detect the fob even when everything is locked up and the key is behind several brick walls.  Personally i think that sounds rubbish.  

Has anybody else experienced a problem like this?

Mine's a 57 yaris with keyless entry. When mine started playing up with regards to locking/unlocking and starting the car i changed the batteries. Been fine ever since. About a £ on eBay. Video below shows similar key Battery change, takes a minute to do yourself.

Experiax10, Both sets of key fobs have had about 4 batteries in them in the last 2 years.  They seem to work for about a week and then the problems start again.

Is this just happening at the house or does it happen anywhere?

Does it only occur at home? could also be RF interference locally from something like a cell phone tower.

Sources of radio frequency interference, especially if something uses a frequency the same as or very close to that of your fob, include wifi systems, wireless doorbells, military or emergency services communications equipment, smart meters, National Grid transmissions, etc. 

If it is a wifi system or other wireless equipment, it doesn't necessarily need to be yours - could be a neighbour's.

I've had the keyless entry play up on my iQ in various locations if the keys are in the same pocket as my mobile phone. (iPhone)

I assume the phone is busy doing something and the signal blocks out the key signal to the car. I know now if it doesn't work all I need to do is pull the keys out my pocket and it will work fine again.

Craig.

When the wife parks the car at work, it still doesn't work and she is a 10 minute walk away.

I personally can't see phone/wifi signals could affect the car, as i'm pretty sure other cars would be effected and it would be a known problem.  The dealers state they have no idea what is going on.

9 minutes ago, TWood said:

I personally can't see phone/wifi signals could affect the car, as i'm pretty sure other cars would be effected and it would be a known problem. 

It is a known problem hence why I asked. Maybe not where you live though.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links