Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Same Engine, Different Cars

RK123456

Early in 2013, my company car, Avensis D4D was due for renewal, I tried a Prius plug in and hated it, I felt like the car was driving me and not me driving the car, the car seemed totally under powered and I disliked the pedal parking brake. This bad experience I thought had put me off hybrids for life and I chose another Avensis D4D tourer.

Fast forward to today, my Avensis D4D was in for service, after an email from the dealer last week trying to sell me a Lexus CT200h, I looked at the Lexus range and as I need an estate to carry a boot full of work stuff, concluded that there was nothing in the Lexus range in my car budget that was suitable. I asked to test drive an Auris hybrid and what a pleasant surprise.

The engine seemed powerful, it passed my test of accelerating uphill on a dual carriageway to simulate accelerating up a motorway slip road. The engine almost pulled as well as my Avensis D4D. The car was pleasant to drive, I felt in control at all times and more importantly, it has a proper lever handbrake instead of the foot pedal on the Prius.

In conclusion, driving the Auris hybrid has overcome my dislike of hybrids and I will seriously consider an Auris hybrid tourer when my company Avensis is due for renewal.

... and I disliked the pedal parking brake. ...

Are you kidding? The foot operated parking brake is one of the best features!

It gives something for the left foot to do and leaves both hands free to drive with.

I guess some people do not like change.

• Like 3

... and I disliked the pedal parking brake. ...

Are you kidding? The foot operated parking brake is one of the best features!

It gives something for the left foot to do and leaves both hands free to drive with.

I guess some people do not like change.

That, and the fact that diesel is one of the most poison toxins ever to be allowed to pollute the planet.

Better check the tail pipe of a Euro6 diesel vanilla....totally clean

On paper and new out of the factory, may be true, but give it few years on the road with poor maintenance and it will be a smoking polluter spewing out black clouds of noxious poison. :thumbsup:

I disliked the pedal parking brake "I guess some people do not like change" has nothing to do with it.

I have driven an Avensis with an electric parking brake for the past 6 years and 180k miles so I have no problem with the Avensis type that ie either on or off.

The Prius parking brake foot pedal was something I did not like, namely the gradual application that did not put enough force on it on a slope, then pressing it again which I thought would apply more force but released it. It would be better if the foot pedal was a simple on off switch. Also, the foot brake was positioned where I had grown to resting my left foot.

"And the fact that diesel is one of the most poison toxins ever to be allowed to pollute the planet." If I remember correctly, 10 years ago, the government actively encouraged the use it diesel cars, what will happen in 10 years when hybrids are no longer the flavour of the month?

... namely the gradual application that did not put enough force on it on a slope, then pressing it again which I thought would apply more force but released it. It would be better if the foot pedal was a simple on off switch. ...

It didn't take more than a few goes to work out how it worked and I like how it works. If you want on/off that is present in the transmission "Park" button, but I would hate for that to be my only option.

Each to their own I guess.

... namely the gradual application that did not put enough force on it on a slope, then pressing it again which I thought would apply more force but released it. It would be better if the foot pedal was a simple on off switch. ...

It didn't take more than a few goes to work out how it worked and I like how it works. If you want on/off that is present in the transmission "Park" button, but I would hate for that to be my only option.

Each to their own I guess.

Exactly that. The better name for the Prius foot brake is a parking brake. Effectively leave it well alone unless parking. The Prius has a hill start/hold function for steep hills meaning there is no need for the traditional hand brake for hill starts.

It sounds like the car the OP test drove was not right. There is no gradual hold on my parking brake. Press it to the floor and it holds hard. Even if I never used it, the automatic Park function would hold it on the steepest of hills.

I guess it's a marmite thing. I used the foot brakes on Mercs before but hated that silly lever to release. The Prius foot brake is great in that it opens up other options for the gap between the two front seats. No more catching your coat on the handbrake lever when getting out the car and no expensive bills when an electronic handbrake eventually fails.

• Like 2

Although the particulates are captured, one of the most toxic pollutants they produce is NOx, which doesn't coat the tailpipe.

I disliked the pedal parking brake "I guess some people do not like change" has nothing to do with it.

I have driven an Avensis with an electric parking brake for the past 6 years and 180k miles so I have no problem with the Avensis type that ie either on or off.

The Prius parking brake foot pedal was something I did not like, namely the gradual application that did not put enough force on it on a slope, then pressing it again which I thought would apply more force but released it. It would be better if the foot pedal was a simple on off switch. Also, the foot brake was positioned where I had grown to resting my left foot.

"And the fact that diesel is one of the most poison toxins ever to be allowed to pollute the planet." If I remember correctly, 10 years ago, the government actively encouraged the use it diesel cars, what will happen in 10 years when hybrids are no longer the flavour of the month?

You must rest your foot pretty high, the parking brake pedal is way above the footrest when it's off. You could always stick your leg up on the dash :D

Feel free to inhale deeply then.

DPF traps particulates and ejects them later once the car decides to burn them off.

Still a disgusting poison cancer causing fume. And most diesel cars emitting this killer cancer causing filth are not Euro 6 vehicles right now.

• Like 1

Just a wild one but I'm guessing you don't like Diesels very much?! lol! :D

Just a wild one but I'm guessing you don't like Diesels very much?! lol! :D

You'd be correct.

All diesels from around 2013 backwards are contributing a killer concoction into our atmosphere. Every time you sit in traffic or walk down the street you are subjected to this. I am continually amazed people are not educated and angry about this. They should be.

• Like 3

I have to agree actually. I have never been tempted even though I've driven a few examples of different marques over the years. I still cannot get over the tortuous sound that a diesel engine makes even when it's just ticking over... That and the ridiculously peaky and short torque curves are other things that put me off... (then there's the "smoke" of course...)

The inside of a Euro 6 (or Euro 6 compliant Euro 5) diesel car exhaust will be totally clean to the touch. They really do clamp down on particulates, but are still not good for NOx which is invisble and a bit of a nasty.

The new Euro 6 diesels almost match petrol for NOx, but the extra emission controls to do this add further cost and further consumables. I can see diesel being a much more expensive option and probably suitable for larger engined vehicles rather than city hatchbacks.

Personally I think diesel cars are where steam trucks were in the 1920's. They can still comply and do the job, it's just the expense and hassle make them of marginal benefit and give it 5-10 years and they'll be obsolete and forgotten.

• Like 2

Petrol engines can create even smaller PMs than diesels, which can possibly penetrate far deeper into lung tissue

Euro 6 NOx requirements are virtually the same for petrol and diesel....... .08 gm/km

Petrol engines can create even smaller PMs than diesels, which can possibly penetrate far deeper into lung tissue

Euro 6 NOx requirements are virtually the same for petrol and diesel....... .08 gm/km

Compared to 0.05gm/km. Doesn't sound much difference, but over 20 million cars it would add up.

Really interesting. I'm not fond of the EPB in my Avensis, but I really like the foot operated brake in my wife's Prius. Vive le difference eh? As for diesels, whether they're clean or not, I prefer the HSD to the D4D just for the smooth driving experience. I would have had an Auris Tourer in a heart beat if I wasn't towing.

Ok two threads in one here :)

Foot operated parking brake - after a while it becomes second nature just like pulling a hand brake does. In fact - I keep finding my left foot looking for the pedal when I'm driving a car without it :)

Sent from my iPad using Toyota OC

• Like 2

I've had a Gen 3 2010 Prius for 3 years which has the foot parking-brake. Recently convinced the wife to switch to a hybrid and she now has a 2012 Auris (previous shape) with the standard hand brake. I have to say, I still prefer the hand brake, just feels more natural compared to the either on or off foor brake. Also, I can use the hand brake to rub off dust off the discs when the car's been sat for a while.

And you obviously can't do handbrake turns with a foot operated one. That's a minus in my books. But as I'm getting older I. Tend to park cars with wheels rolling.

Regarding scraping off rust - your handbrake most likely don't work on the disk but on a small internal drum inside the disk rotor.

And you obviously can't do handbrake turns with a foot operated one...

well, sort of:

if you activate the parking brake, then press it again so the lock clicks off, as long as you don't take your foot right off you can increase and decrease the brake effect just like moving a handbrake lever while holding the button in - it's only when you remove all pressure it will lock in place again next time you press it.

Personally, I'm not into park/handbrake turns, but it was useful for steep hill starts in Gen 1 & 2 Prius that didn't have the Hill Start Assist feature.

And you obviously can't do handbrake turns with a foot operated one. That's a minus in my books. But as I'm getting older I. Tend to park cars with wheels rolling.

Regarding scraping off rust - your handbrake most likely don't work on the disk but on a small internal drum inside the disk rotor.

foot operated parking brake works on the discs on the gen3 and later no internal drum.

Blimey! I learn every day. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone

...don't know of any car with rear disc brakes that uses some kind of auxiliary "drum" for the handbrake... The handbrake on such cars is simply a cable driven mechanical actuator which operates directly on the pads caliper; performing the same function as if you had used the hydraulics... (but only on the rear wheels)

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links