Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Parts Shared With Other Toyota Models

iQ-Chris

Hi everyone

While snooping around the Aygo and Yaris sections of this excellent forum, I read that the 1.0 engine, in the iQ that I drive, is shared with both of those cars.

It got me thinking, does the iQ share most of its mechanicals with other Toyota models? I'm thinking of the gearbox, suspension, steering... etc.

Thanks!

Chris

iQ² ☆ black with red leather ☆ upgraded interior lighting ☆ white backlit dashboard/switches ☆ auto-folding mirrors ☆ smart entry ☆ auto-locking doors ☆ chrome exhaust ☆

A degree of component sharing between model ranges is common, but there will be some components which are model specific.

For example: the1.0 litre engine is used in the the IQ, Aygo/Citroen C1/Peugeot 107/108, Yaris, Daihatsu Sirion (part of the Toyota Group), etc; the 1.33 is used in the IQ, Auris, Yaris, Urban Cruiser, Verso S, etc; the 1.4 D4D is used in the IQ, Auris, Yaris, Urban Cruiser, and Verso S; the 1.6 D4D that Toyota are using courtesy of BMW will be used in the Verso, Auris and Avensis; the 1.8 litre hybrid engine is used in the Prius, Prius+ and the Auris hybrid; etc.

Gearboxes will have a similar degree of sharing.
Using components across more than one model range saves on development costs, reduces prices for the consumer and simplifies the supply of parts.

The degree of sharing varies between manufacturers - for example back in the 1960's/70's British Leyland, to reduce development costs, used the same front and rear doors on the 1800/2200, the Maxi, the 3 litre, the Austin Tasmanian/Kimberley (BL Australia), and were also used by Panther on the De Ville.

• Like 1

Most parts are unique to the Iq as it has a very short front end which demanded a special gearbox, suspension and air conditioning unit. Whether parts are interchangeable is a matter of conjecture. Even the sparkplugs are different on the iq3 ?? But I expect they will be the same for the Iq2 as there is less of a difference in the inlet manifolding as on the 1.33 application. Cheers Colin

• Like 2

Agreed, I doubt there is much that is the same.

Also worth mentioning the iQ is (was) produced and built in Japan whereas a lot of the European Toyota's like the Aygo are produced here in Europe. The Aygo is built in the Czech Republic I believe.

Although they may share the same basic design engine, the components won't come from the same manufacturer so there may be very subtle differences.

Craig.

Whilst Toyota are using the 1.6 BMW engine, it has been "Toyotaised" with much of the R&D done by Toyota and not BMW. It will also be built by Toyota in Turkey. This engine will then become quite common in a number of cars such as Verso and Avensis

The Struts are unique to any US spec model because of how the tie rod attaches. The brake pads and rotors are common to one of the prius models. I have looked at parts availability based upon the parts a DIYer will likely need based upon a 120,000 useable (to me) like expectancy. I cross referenced the part numbers on Amazon/parts retail outlets and I have concluded that Filters, Spark Plugs, brake componets and suspension parts are the most likely to be needed. The first 3 will be readily available because of cross use of the parts across several Toyota platforms. One set of struts from Toyota will round out the requirements until 120 K miles.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links