Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Lindop Tuning Box Fitted To A 2007 T180.

ninja365

Hi all,

I have recently bought a Lindop tuning kit (Big up to Parts King) and finally got it fitted it tonight. My plan is to document on here my findings for other forum users.

Fitting the kit isn't difficult, the instructions are good and I'm not great with cars. The worst part for my T180 was getting to the Cam Sensor plug which is nicely tucked away and almost inaccessible. After using a medium pair of mole grips adjusted to just pinch the connector and some serious contortions, the plug gently popped off. It took longer to route and tidy the leads than fit the system. I have been advised to leave the little box set at 5 for 100 miles or so after which I can turn it up to the recommended setting 6.

I ran the car up on idle for 15 minutes and then went for a quick whizz. First impression is that the engine seems much smoother and as promised pulls cleanly at lower revs. Acceleration is noticeably different especially from 2000 to 4000rpm when the car just takes off and goes. I tried a 3rd gear roll on from 20 to 60mph which by my count was 6 seconds which is impressive. In second, 20 to 40mph is 3 seconds. After a gentle(ish) trip up the dual carriageway the car cruised at 75mph at just over 2000rpm in 6th, and with a tap on the loud pedal pushing the car to naughty speeds very quickly. Coming off the roundabout, on came some fun time pushing the revs through the gears and again the speed picks ups very very quickly and smoothly. Glad I have new discs and pads!!!.

My average MPG is between 28 - 30 so I am looking forward to see what I can achieve with this box of tricks as it was bought to help with economy. This first tank of fuel is going to be pure fun time and looking forward to upsetting a few rep-mobiles :clap:, so will report back in few tanks time with an update.

Joe.

• 2 weeks later...

First Update with the tuning box fitted.

Filled up today with 304.9 miles on the trip, 48 litres in = 28.58 mpg which isn't what i was hoping for. Lets see what the next one does.

What was you expecting MPG to be, you are still driving a engine producing 180 bhp, just try less throttle and drive it like an old lady.

Try coasting, fitting an expensive chip won't get enough extra MPG to get your cash back, it just doesen't work like that.

Hi fox,

I am expecting to see possibly 3-5mpg increase. I understand that more power (theoretically now 215bhp and around 450nm of torque) will drink more if used, but it will also allow the engine to work a little easier which is where the mpg savings should come from.

What was you expecting MPG to be, you are still driving a engine producing 180 bhp, just try less throttle and drive it like an old lady. Try coasting, fitting an expensive chip won't get enough extra MPG to get your cash back, it just doesen't work like that.

Don't agree with your economics argument.

I fitted a Lindop chip to our previous 12-reg XTR diesel auto and achieved a regular 12.5%+ improvement in MPG. At my average annual mileage, it would have paid for itself in about 12 months - if I hadn't sold the car, that is!

Hi Jim,

If I can achieve the same level of mpg increase as you then the box will pay for itself in a year. As mine is a manual it may be a little better but only time will tell.

Increase Turbo boost and increase fuel pressure to get 215 bhp, will not reduce fuel , how does this make the engine work easier, drive less aggessive, do a lot more coasting look ahead so you break less this saves fuel...You can increase turbo booast without adding fuel, but the engine will run a lot hotter causing wear, etc. But I'm interested in your findings over the next few fill up's...

Second tank of fuel.....

339.3 miles on the trip / 49.6 litres in = 30.78 getting better!!

Third tank of Fuel.......

290.1 miles on the trip / 42 litres of fuel = 31.08 mpg

I'm imprssed it's working, hope the extreme warm damp humid weather conditions, having very warm engine, gearbox, trans axle and diff oil and maybe you have started to drive less aggressive may all be a factor into getting more smiles per mile, but it all helps to save the planet, lets hope the results are the same come colder weather etc.

Third tank of Fuel.......

290.1 miles on the trip / 42 litres of fuel = 31.08 mpg

I have to say that it seems odd that you are not getting the full benefit of the Lindop chip immediately. Due to the fuzzy logic employed in the ECU on modern cars there is a certain amount of "re-learning" necessary when a major component is replaced or a new system/circuit is fitted, that process takes relatively little time or distance.

Now that you are on your 4th tankful, I would have expected the improvement to be established fully. You say that your original MPG was "28-30" which, with respect, isn't much use as a baseline against which to measure your ultimate improvement. If it was 28 MPG then the improvement to date is about 11%, which is pretty good. However, if it originally was 30 MPG, then the improvement is only 3.6% which almost falls into the margin of error for the calculations. If possible, i.e. if you've kept historic B2B calcs of MPG before fitting the chip, you should try to establish what the true overall average MPG was so that you can get a more accurate reflection of the benefit of the chip.

Anecdotally, my customers tell me they get between 3 and 6 MPG better MPG, but of course we all drive differently and in different conditions, some will get fantastic results, others not. I have received this testimonial today from one of my customers in Europe, of course these results are personal to him, but it just highlights not everyone gets the same results

I have driven 300 miles since installed, as you said, the first 100 very easy.
Although touching the throttle very light I could feel a difference.
Now it's even bigger, I can feel the power of the engine, my wife even feels the difference.
The engine listens much better to my foot and is more smoothly.
BUT:
The best thing is the fuel consumption, that is unbelievable...
The car used to consume 7,5l/100Km at 110Km/h (70mph), 2000rpm, on the highway, that's 37,66mpg
Now it is 4,6l/100Km at 110Km/h (70mph), 2000rpm, on the highway, that's 61,40mpg
Measured average for 60 miles on cruise-control.
Don't believe me? Check picture attached...
Average was +8l/100Km, now it's 6l/100Km, 47mpg iso 35mpg, city included, unbelievable...
As you can see I'm a happy customer and my wife is pleased that we bought the Kit.
In our future trips to Germany, we will have more confidence that we will reach the top of the hill as a car, not as an overloaded truck :o)
Thanks for the help and making the Kit available to Toyota drivers.
Greetings,
Luke

PS: I you want, I'll put my findings on the Forum, let me know if you agree

• Like 1

it's that unbelievable I need to buy one myself, to be able to feel the extra power under your foot without any extra fuel being used is unbelievable, it's a shame Toyota don't fit this chip as standard and make it so only the economy mode available so we can all get unbelievable fuel economy, I think Toyota have missed a trick, they could possibly have the most economical 2.2 4x4 in existance...

With unbelievable power that you can feel for a lot less fuel.... makes their hydrogen cell car look thirsty.....

Anecdotally, my customers tell me they get between 3 and 6 MPG better MPG, but of course we all drive differently and in different conditions, some will get fantastic results, others not. I have received this testimonial today from one of my customers in Europe, of course these results are personal to him, but it just highlights not everyone gets the same results

I have driven 300 miles since installed, as you said, the first 100 very easy.
Although touching the throttle very light I could feel a difference.
Now it's even bigger, I can feel the power of the engine, my wife even feels the difference.
The engine listens much better to my foot and is more smoothly.
BUT:
The best thing is the fuel consumption, that is unbelievable...
The car used to consume 7,5l/100Km at 110Km/h (70mph), 2000rpm, on the highway, that's 37,66mpg
Now it is 4,6l/100Km at 110Km/h (70mph), 2000rpm, on the highway, that's 61,40mpg
Measured average for 60 miles on cruise-control.
Don't believe me? Check picture attached...
Average was +8l/100Km, now it's 6l/100Km, 47mpg iso 35mpg, city included, unbelievable...
As you can see I'm a happy customer and my wife is pleased that we bought the Kit.
In our future trips to Germany, we will have more confidence that we will reach the top of the hill as a car, not as an overloaded truck :o)
Thanks for the help and making the Kit available to Toyota drivers.
Greetings,
Luke

PS: I you want, I'll put my findings on the Forum, let me know if you agree

John, I think you know that I'm a big fan of the Lindop chip but, with the greatest of respect, this claim seems utterly fantastic. I mean, a 63% improvement in MPG? This guy is either taking the proverbial or has a serious maths deficiency.

Presumably the engine wasn't running when he took these figures?? :D

Engine was running, doing 60 mph down the motorway, I think it was then fuzzy logic kicking in. he can get more than 63% but when his wife drives it thows her back into the seat too hard, so he compromised economy for full out feel in the pants power, He's choice...

I think the figures are a little optimistic, however he also sent me an image of the 4.6 ltr per 100km and that is the instant figure, NOT average. Like I say, most of my customers get 3 to 6 MPG better consumption, I am not claiming anything else

I have posted many times about how to save fuel, and you don't need to buy an expensive chip, and I'm talking saving fuel and not fitting a chip so you can burn off Rep mobiles.

If you can fit a chip kit you can easily blank off your EGR valve the Rav4 is one of the easiest engines on the market to blank, the cost a bit of old metal, and once fitted, Google how to drive more economically it's not hard. My 2.2 Rav4 which does a very mixed journey averages 48 mpg, I don't think that's bad, runs very clean because it does not put old used exhaust gases back into the inlet manifold,,,,,Passes the MOT extremely easily at about 0.3 it's the way forward, and again don't give me all the rubbish about Toyota making the engine perfect etc. the EGR valve was forced into production becuase of NOX made by running the engine lean and mean, and FITTING a CHIP is not going against TOYOTA design???? I would rather produce a bit of NOX than make more particals

I have posted many times about how to save fuel, and you don't need to buy an expensive chip, and I'm talking saving fuel and not fitting a chip so you can burn off Rep mobiles.

If you can fit a chip kit you can easily blank off your EGR valve the Rav4 is one of the easiest engines on the market to blank, the cost a bit of old metal, and once fitted, Google how to drive more economically it's not hard. My 2.2 Rav4 which does a very mixed journey averages 48 mpg, I don't think that's bad, runs very clean because it does not put old used exhaust gases back into the inlet manifold,,,,,Passes the MOT extremely easily at about 0.3 it's the way forward, and again don't give me all the rubbish about Toyota making the engine perfect etc. the EGR valve was forced into production becuase of NOX made by running the engine lean and mean, and FITTING a CHIP is not going against TOYOTA design???? I would rather produce a bit of NOX than make more particals

So have you still got your Rav4 as you posted the following on 11th June in another thread -

"But this is my last post, the wife's Rav4 is going in two weeks, down side she is giving it to the son-in-law, but he understands if it goes wrong he gets if fixed.... And anyone who is experiencing problems at present good luck with fixing it..."

Sorry for the slow response been working away, Yep I still have my Rav4, it doesn't get used much because I'm mainly a bike user, the wife sold hers which gave her great JOY, she had nothing but trouble, if the Rav4 had problems she had all of them. plus wifes was 2006 mine 2007

Oil leak, Faulty EGR, Electric steering ECU, Mass Flywheel, Starter motor, just off the top of my head,

my Rav4 as been nearly 100% perfect, but I don't let Toyota service it.....And the EGR was blanked at new.....

• 2 weeks later...

Update on the fuel consumption.....

Last 3 tanks (4 through to 6) all down between 29 - 30 mpg , last one 326.7 miles / 49.2 litres = 29.88 mpg.

In my case it does seem that the tuning box isn't improving the economy much but it does make the car go so much better without sacrificing economy. I have removed the box temporarily to check the mpg without it so i can create an accurate comparison.

something else of note...... When i filled up before fitting the box, the DTE (distance to empty) would read 330 - 340 miles when filled up to the brim. With the box fitted that range has increased to 370 - 380 miles everytime. What i have noticed is that the car will cover 240/250 miles on half a tank and then it drops really quick down to the warning light coming on (50 - 60 miles from half). Is this normal???. Also the warning light comes on counting down the miles and even when its on 10 miles, i can still only add max 50 litres which means there is another 10 litres / 60 miles still in the tank. Is this a computer glitch or a built in safety feature?

Edited by ninja365

Update on the fuel consumption.....

Last 3 tanks (4 through to 6) all down between 29 - 30 mpg , last one 326.7 miles / 49.2 litres = 29.88 mpg.

In my case it does seem that the tuning box isn't improving the economy much but it does make the car go so much better without sacrificing economy. I have removed the box temporarily to check the mpg without it so i can create an accurate comparison.

something else of note...... When i filled up before fitting the box, the DTE (distance to empty) would read 330 - 340 miles when filled up to the brim. With the box fitted that range has increased to 370 - 380 miles everytime. What i have noticed is that the car will cover 240/250 miles on half a tank and then it drops really quick down to the warning light coming on (50 - 60 miles from half). Is this normal???. Also the warning light comes on counting down the miles and even when its on 10 miles, i can still only add max 50 litres which means there is another 10 litres / 60 miles still in the tank. Is this a computer glitch or a built in safety feature?

Not so much a glitch as a result of the kit not being terribly accurate, I reckon. If you were to compare various RAVs you'd find that their OBCs are wildly variable in terms of accuracy. At the end of the day, the RAV, like every other car is built to a price so the OBC is as cheap as it's possible to be with a reasonable life span and durability.

All you can do is use it as a guide by getting used to it's particular level of inaccuracy. It's for this reason that you should never rely upon the OBC for an accurate indication of MPG - only B2B calcs, over a period of time, will tell you that. But then you will know accurately how far out your OBC is and allow for it accordingly.

Re: the fuel in the tank part - yes that's the way Toyota design them. It's a 60 litre tank of which about 10 litres is a reserve so that if you run it down to zero range, below empty and all warning lights flashing you still have around 10 litres left and can only put around 50 litres in. It's Japanese reserve / caution. I've never had the nerve to test this to the real limit but both my current RAV and previous SR180 exhibited the same behaviour.

First fill up today with the tuning box temporarily removed and really not good :-(

282.2 miles / 45.97 miles = 27.62 mpg.

Lets see what the next one brings before putting the Lindop box back.

• 2 weeks later...

Ive just purchased on of these boxes albeit for the 150 XTR have not installed it yet but the instructions included seem quite clear ... however can you tell me where you actually placed box and did you use the velcro pad supplied or did you find some other way to fix

Cheers

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links