Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Day Time Running Lights

mickandjanet

Are the day time running lights on the latest Yaris on all the time or can they be disabled.

Don't know specifically for the Yaris but in general - no.

When you set the light switch to side lights it may switch them off if you have separate side lights, but otherwise they will be on.

You may be able to get your dealer to switch them off.

Why do you want to switch them off?

Sent from my iPad using Toyota OC

On the Yaris, the daytime running lights turn on when the engine is running and the handbrake is released. Having daytime running lights is compulsory on all new cars first registered after November 2014, so the dealer won't be able to disable them, as it would make the car illegal to use within the EU.

Hi APS, Just wondering if there was an overriding Function, you may not want to be seen all the time.

Hi frostyballs , thanks for reply, so lights only off when engine off.

Thanks

Hi frostyballs , thanks for reply, so lights only off when engine off.

Thanks

... or when engine and handbrake are both on.

I read somewhere that cars manufactured after January 2011 had to have DRL. Maybe it wasn't a legal requirement. I'm waiting for the rear lights to be compulsory as well. Maybe one day <hoping>...

Sent from my iPhone

From February 2011, cars which underwent new Type Approval after this date were required to have daytime running lights. From November 2014 all cars first registered after this date were required to have daytime running lights.

The point of having daytime running lights is to make the vehicle easier to see on approach, so I doubt whether rear daytime running lights will be made compulsory

Ah thanks for clarifying that. I'm sure some journo somewhere had misinterpreted type approved.

Reg rear lights - I grew up in Scandinavia where automatic DRL front and rear has been legal requirement for the past 30 years (before that we had to switch the dips on manually). So to now have only lights in the front seems like such backwards step. You do approach cars from behind too. I can give multiple instances where no lights in the rear is a real killer. With modern LEDs it just seems silly not to have rear lights come on too. Anyway - I'll get off my soap box now :)

Back in May, when we were going on holiday to Skye, part of the outward journey to Stirling (where we had an overnight stay) was done on a very, very wet Friday evening. On the M74 at around 9pm, on a dark evening and in teeming rain, we came across a black Ford Galaxy, with just its daylight running lights on, and no lighting at the rear, hogging the middle lane. There was no way of seeing it until it was almost too late. Sheer madness!

Right. Very good example. Unfortunately it's not uncommon at all. With DRL and auto lights people forget to switch on manually. There's just no reason why you would not always have some lights on around the car to indicate that it is a running vehicle.

DRLs are a LOT brighter than sidelights - they are for daytime. Having standard tail-lights on in daylight is somewhat pointless as they are barely visible.

The law requires you to put your headlights on in poor conditions - DRLs are not meant to be a substitute. The future is more likely to be wider adoption of the automatic headlights (which will obviously bring sidelights on too) which should cover the poor visibility situation.

• Like 1

Lights, including DRLs, is a safety feature. The problem is leaving it up to the driver's subjective judgement as to when to switch them on. When is it dark enough? When is the visibility reduced for other drivers? When is it raining hard enough that I should switch them on? For the same reason we don't leave it up to drivers to decide when to use other safety features like seatbelts. They should just be on as soon as the car is in a state to move. This removes any ambiguity and saves lives.

• Like 1

The problem is leaving it up to the driver's subjective judgement

I believe Google are testing a system to remove this factor entirely :)

Haha :) yes and not only them. Volvo BMW, Audi, Merc and probably Toyota(?). They all do. It's just a matter of time.

Sent from my iPhone

I agree that it is mostly up to the drivers judgement as to when lights come on when light is diminished.

Generally I tend to see drivers of dark cars, black, being some of the last to switch on. Anyone else noticed.

Back in May, when we were going on holiday to Skye, part of the outward journey to Stirling (where we had an overnight stay) was done on a very, very wet Friday evening. On the M74 at around 9pm, on a dark evening and in teeming rain, we came across a black Ford Galaxy, with just its daylight running lights on, and no lighting at the rear, hogging the middle lane. There was no way of seeing it until it was almost too late. Sheer madness!

I can't see how the DRLs are to blame, the idiot would probably have still had no lights on even without DRLs fitted.

I can't see how the DRLs are to blame, the idiot would probably have still had no lights on even without DRLs fitted.

Yes and No. My original point, which Frostyballs was illustrating with his anecdote, was that DRLs as they have been implemented are half-hearted since they only work on the front lights.

It should not be left to the driver's judgement if they need the lights on or not, lights should just be on all round.

Yes and No. My original point, which Frostyballs was illustrating with his anecdote, was that DRLs as they have been implemented are half-hearted since they only work on the front lights.

It should not be left to the driver's judgement if they need the lights on or not, lights should just be on all round.

Can't say I follow, you have far greater closing speeds with the front of vehicles than you do the rear, this is exactly what DRL's are for. They're not designed to be used in poor weather conditions, although can help in Fog / heavy rain etc when viewing the front of a vehicle.

To be honest I'm all for them, you get those saying it should be the drivers decision but I for one disagree, I don't want some idiot plowing into the side of me at 60MPH in fog as I drive across a dual carriage way because they didn't think to put their lights on to be seen. Its me that'd come off far worse due to their stupidity, and as a result long may they stay!

Totally agree. Those that are tardy to turn their lights seem to have a mentality that it is somehow costing them money to have them on!

My vote is for sidelights on at all times. I can't understand how anybody could fail to see the advantages of being visible - from ahead and behind - in all conditions (eg. Passing through a poorly lit tunnel). Auto-lights work to an extent, but the function can be turned off, rendering it useless in some cases.

Chris

iQ² ☆ black with red leather ☆ upgraded interior lighting ☆ white backlit dashboard/switches ☆ auto-folding mirrors ☆ smart entry ☆ auto-locking doors ☆ chrome exhaust ☆

My vote is for sidelights on at all times.

Sidelights are just not adequate and will not be visible 90% of the time the vehicle is in motion during the day. They're nothing more than position lights for when park and should be used as such. When a vehicle is in use it should have DRLs or dipped beam in operation.

How do you define "position lights" Jonathan? "position" for what or whom? Certainly no use for the driver himself....

Position lights is another term for side lights. Originally intended for when the vehicle is stationary to mark the position of the vehicle.

• Like 1

The whole of UK (EU?) lighting regulation/s has become a mess, from Audi's and Range Rovers etc looking like a council house at Christmas to 30% of all vehicles driving without lights in fog, to the fact every dumbo on the road can't use an indicator stalk at a roundabout but (amazingly) is able to find the rear fog light switch the moment there's a hint of mist in the city air!

Plus, nobody cares enough to do anything about it.

Bring back the days of 50 years ago when you daresn't go out after dusk or before dawn without checking that all lights were in order for fear of being 'pulled' and given a thorough check that could potentially reveal other shortcomings in/on you or your vehicle.

As for DRLs making vehicles more visible as they approach.....hmmmm, we are back to lines of queuing traffic with rear fog lights on.

.....oh, and while I'm in 'rant mode', I wonder, why is it that many drivers of vehicles favoured by the arrogant types, (Audi's, Mercs, BM's, Range Rovers etc) aren't able to use bluetooth?

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links