Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Day Time Running Lights

mickandjanet

Position lights is another term for side lights. Originally intended for when the vehicle is stationary to mark the position of the vehicle.

I've always known that that was another term for them. Just never thought of it as an appropriate term, that's all. Parking lights, yes but not position lights... Just doesn't sound right for a car...

I always thought that the system used by some manufacturers (VW was one) in the 70's/early 80's, where the side/parking lights were left on on one side depending what position the indicator stalk was in, was a reasonable idea.

Much better than the double sided (one side clear/one side red) parking light that clipped onto the door and plugged into the cigar lighter.

Yes that VW idea was a good one. It was on quite a few UK made cars at that time also as I recall...

The VW parking light system is still fitted today.

As for the parking light attached to the offside window. it was product of its day. The strictly enforced rule regarding parking on the road at night required ingenuity, dynamo charged batteries needed all their limited power to start in the morning and 2 x 5w, never mind 4 x 5w bulbs could. especially in the winter time, require a 'jump' or 'push' start. (I was lucky, lived at the top of a hill.) The single bulb window light was the answer.

I used to leave it as late as possible in evening to switch on and be out there with the piper at the gates of dawn to switch off. 'Lighting up times' were published in the local paper and you ran the risk of a 'ticket' and summons to the court if found without the required, albeit ineffective, statutory light.

Happy days...........hmmmm.

Edit, I forgot to mention, 12volt cigarette lighter plugs were yet to be invented, the parking light was connected to the interior light feed with little crocodile style clips.

Yes that VW idea was a good one. It was on quite a few UK made cars at that time also as I recall...

I know its something all Fiat's have done for the last 10-15 years.

I always felt there was a flaw as one often saw them parked with just the kerbside lights on. People will signal when pulling over and then not cancel the indicator before leaving the car.

They should have made it so the parking lights on the opposite side to the indicators came on (though no doubt the average UK driver would have found that extremely tough to comprehend :no: ).

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links