Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Toyota Iq Multidrive. What To Look For When Buying?

Didge3

My Mother wants to get a new car, we've been looking at a few here and there but most of the cars that suit her needs are really really dull! So boring and that doesn't suit her at all...

I recently stumbled across the iQ (I knew of it on release etc but never looked much into it at the time)

I have to say, really into the cool quirkiness of the styling etc so its high up on the list of cars to consider right now :D

Due to my mothers age and her disability she needs an automatic, changing gear is too much for her shoulder and knee so the Multidrive is a definite, I know it absorbs some MPG and acceleration but what automatic car doesn't over a manual?

The main things we're looking for that I can't seem to find from reviews are,

Is the multidrive box good in general? I understand its a CVT, we've had some in the past and we've liked the smooth step-less nature of them but they used to be quite noisy (the cars I'm talking about were of the 90s era though, I'm hoping these have gotten better).

One of the big questions that I can't really find a definite answer, 1.33 or 1.0? Seeing as we're definitely going auto does the 1.0 have a harder time with the auto than the manual. She does mainly town and A road driving, she has quite a eco right foot but does like a turn in speed to be available for overtaking. Another worry is how good it is for a motorway stint, I'm aware the 1.0 can reach motorway speeds quite comfortably but does the 3 cylinder sound strained and need working to make good progress on the motorway. Having a quite underpowered car myself I know planning your overtakes and having to work the engine hard from time to time makes a long journey more taxing on yourself. Although she'll do mainly town driving every month or so she'll go and visit some distant family member somewhere which requires normally around a 2 hour motorway journey. Can many comment on the worth of getting the 1.33?

She currently drives a Smart ForFour, we bought it because it looked quite cool at the time and suited what she needed at the time but this was quite some time ago now and the harsh ride (its surpsingly sporty and doesn't roll in the corners but thats not exactly what Mum needs...) the auto box as many know is garbage pitching the car back and fourth between changes and often changing gears at strange times, I know the CVT will eliminate at this. The Pro's to the Smart are its well rounded power and economy, it gets 45-52mpg pretty much all the time depending on the journey but makes 110hp so will go when prodded.

Obviously we intend to test drive one soon, preferably both the 1.0 and the 1.33 but would like some pre-drive heads up.

Thanks very much :)

I have had my 1.0 for a year now, and done round about 5,000 miles. It's a great little car to drive in town and copes OK with an occasional trip onto the dual carriageway, but it does indeed feel a bit underpowered for that sort of journey. I haven't done a 2 hour motorway journey to visit a distant relative (I have a Lexus for that) but I suspect that the 1 litre IQ would probably be a bit tiresome. You are, however, right that it's got a vastly better greabox than a Smart (or Aygo or Yaris).

For motorway trips, I would rather drive my father's 1.4 Jazz (also a CVT), but in town the IQ wins hands down, becasue of its compact size and tight turning circle.

Tets drives are the way to go.

Thanks. Might lean toward the 1.33 if it performs better then. The Honda Jazz is on our list but Mum doesn't really like the way it looks, although the interior looks quite nice from the outside (this is just an opinion) it looks dull and boring, hence the interest in the iQ.

You are, however, right that it's got a vastly better greabox than a Smart (or Aygo or Yaris).

Bear in mind that the third generation Yaris (2011 onwards) also has a CVT rather than the Multi Mode Transmission used in the Aygo, second generation Yaris (2006-2011), and first generation Auris (petrol and diesel models).

• Like 1

I'd recommend a test drive. The 1.0 and 1.3 have very different character. The 1.0 pulls eagerly from low revs with fairly linear delivery through the range. The 1.3 is more powerful but with less low end eager and more sprightly towards the top end.

Ideally drive both to see which one your mum prefers.

Sent from my iPad using Toyota OC

• Like 1

We just returned from a 270 mile trip to Nashville. The 1.3/CVT cruised (set on cruise) at 80 with no problem. There was no problem climbing the 5 - 6% grades on the interstate. I recognize that there is probably less of an opportunity for the OP to travel at 80, however, I thought it may be useful to know it can easily be done. Our daily commute includes interstate and again 70 is no problem.

I would agree with APS. Try both1.0 & 1.3, I didnt and plumped for a 1.3. I suspect a 1.0 would have suited my driving style better with better low down pull. I went for a Iq3 because I thought the extra power (which only manifests itself above 3,000 rpm) would make it more drivable. Should Have listened to the roadtest that advised the auto was better on a 1.3 Too late now I'm afraid. Best of luck Colin

Developing what I said in my previous post a little further; when combined with a CVT you will probably find that during acceleration the 1.3 is held at higher revs as its torque is delivered higher up the range. The 1.0 on the other hand can accelerate reasonably even at lower rev so is probably a little more relaxed around town. However, it does run out of breath somewhat when pushing along out of town. The 1.0 also vibrates somewhat more.

As usual - personal preference and views differ so others please chip in.

And my original recommendation of a test drive remains...

Sent from my iPad using Toyota OC

I had an iQ3 auto for around four years from new. It was great to drive round town and on the motorway. The MPG wasn't as good as I expected around town though.

I now have a new shape Aygo with the x-shift and as much as I like the cheaper running costs and the useful rear seats and some of its features the iQ didn't have, I do miss my iQ and its spec and manoeuvrability sometimes.

I have to admit, my Iq3 cant be faulted for smoothness / refinement, also economy, so I suspect I would have regretted a 3cyl. The reason I went for a 1.3 originally was because my nephew has a 107 which I found very annoying with its lack of refinement. I understand the Iq2 is a big improvement, but you cant make a silk purse etc etc. Also I was coming from a Yaris Tsport, which whilst it pulled like a train, it wasn't the most refined thing on the road. As to economy, mine has been showing above 58mpg on this refill, so I am full of high expectations for my next fuelly reading which is always above the cars gauge. I still cant fathom the readings the gauge gives ? Cheers Colin.

I still cant fathom the readings the gauge gives ?

The Aygo has the same digital block reading for fuel, which is pretty useless compared to an analogue needle fuel gauge.

However, the Aygo has an estimated miles left counter, which is something I wish they included on the iQ.

Mark, the "how many miles left?" indicator is something I miss from the MINI I owned before my iQ. Funnily enough, though, there isn't much else!

Chris

iQ² ☆ black with red leather ☆ upgraded interior lighting ☆ white backlit dashboard/switches ☆ auto-folding mirrors ☆ smart entry ☆ auto-locking doors ☆ chrome exhaust ☆

We have the 1 litre auto IQ and done about 44k miles since new in 2010.

It's a great city car and ideal for parking in those crazy small places everyone else has to leave. Fuel economy is poor though unless you really feather the accelerator on a steady run. It will sit happily at 80 mph on the motorways and will get there - eventually.

What to look out for? Whining auto transmissions. Take it for a long test drive of about 20+ miles if you can and then listen for any whining when setting off. Ours is doing it a little and Toyota are digging their heels in, probably because they cost about £4k to replace! You read that right! The whining sounds like those Austin Metro gearboxes when they were in 1st gear. Ours only does it after a long steady run and then slowing to town traffic.

Otherwise it's a great little car with character with £20 annual road tax (£0 for the manual version). It really is a 2+1 seater with only the front seats meant for adults. It is very unfair to expect anyone over the age of 13 to sit in the rear.

• 2 months later...

Well its been a long time and we did lots of research - We test drove a 1.0 iQ in July and quite liked it, the smoothness and refinement were as expected and what we hoped for. Unfortunately whilst we found the car quite nippy and I enjoy the 3 cylinder thrum of the 1.0 coupled with the CVT box it is a quite slow up to motorway speeds. So we decided to hunt for a 1.3. Good CVT 1.3's are thin on the ground in our searches and we spent over a month just waiting for one. Eventually one came up with all the options we wanted and more including the built in satnav. Went for a test drive, copes with speed noticeably better than a 1.0 so its now in my Mums ownership. It has very low millage for its age (13k on a 59 plate) but has been serviced annually and seems looked after. Overall happy so far, thanks for everyone's help and input.

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links