Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Tempted By The Auris Sr180...

scottyyy

I've been doing a lot of research and read the good, and the horror stories about these cars. I've always liked the face lifted model and the interior (at 29 I seem a bit too old for my time haha) but stumbled across this sr180 and even though it's the older shape it ticks all the boxes for me. I've read about the engine replacements, the gasket etc and it did put me off. But something keeps calling me back to these cars. The one I'm interested is a 59 plate, 29000 miles a full service history and excellent condition inside and out (going by the pictures )Before I even see the car in person I'm going to phone Toyota in the morning to get peace of mind about the history of the car and see if the engine has been replaced (would

It still need to be replaced if the engine has the updated design?) or the gasket had been done etc. what you guys think, are there anything else I should ask of look out for ? Thanks

Hello Scott - welcome to Toyota Owners Club.

From the following thread, Auris produced up to September 2009 could be affected by the head gasket issue - http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/topic/132178-charliefarlies-guide-to-the-toyota-2ad-diesel-engine-and-its-issues/page-1

If the car was produced after Sept 2009, the engine should have the required modifications. Note that the production date is different to the date of first registration.

In the early days, engines were rebuilt by the dealer, and later Toyota decided to supply factory built engines as replacements - believe the factory built engines are better. A Toyota dealer should be able to tell you if the car in question has had a replacement engine or not.

Okie dokie, thanks for the swift reply 👍😎 Great to know more about these cars

Quick and easy way to tell if the car is post countermeasure ( i.e fixed ) is to look at the EGR valve in front of the cylinder head, to see the two types see: http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/topic/167786-sr180-egr/

If the car has the early type EGR then the car may be affected by the headgasket/oil consumption issues, may have been fixed already but only a dealer could confirm

If the car has the later EGR then the car is very unlikely to suffer any of the issue affecting earlier cars.

• Like 1

Hi,

mines a 59 plate and has the updated EGR I have had it over a year and done 10000 miles mixed driving, it isn't too bad on fuel, 40mpg+. I have took out the extended warranty through my local dealer in case of any unexpected repair (had a starter motor fitted and auxiliary belt). The car is also serviced there as it was from new. The Toyota service I have experienced is excellent.

Tom

Dont let the horror stories out put you off. Do your research on the car and make sure you are 100% happy when you see the car. If you are - go for it. I was initially put off by the stories, but I am so glad I went for it. Brilliant car and so far I've had no issues at all.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links