Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ok, It's A Kind Of "spot The Difference" Puzzle Time For Y

CPN

I'll own up to struggling to come up with a reason for this one but before I do, I just wanted to check with other Yaris Hybrid Excel owners (MY2014->) to see if their vehicles were the same?

See attached photos...

Driver's side (from the front)...

post-126463-0-47890400-1435430403_thumb.

(from the rear)

post-126463-0-51050700-1435430411_thumb.

Passenger's side (from the front)...

post-126463-0-14299900-1435430421_thumb.

(from the rear)

post-126463-0-08785900-1435430682_thumb.

Notice the extension to the moulding (upward) at the rear edge of the quarter light in the first two photos that is NOT there in the second two?

Anyone got a clue why?? The only thing I can come up with is that the moulding is kind of "spoiler" shaped and would direct airflow across the face of the driver's door mirror at speed? (keeping it a bit clearer in the rain?) Clutching at straws here... Even if that is the case, why does the nearside mirror deserve less?

:huh:

Perhaps it's been replaced?

I recall a popular trick with wheel trims. You'd put the same pair on one side and a different pair on t'other. How many buyers would spot that?

My kids broke a window winder in the back of an Austin Princess. Couldn't find a replacement, but found a Marina handle fitted. Bought two from a scrappy and fitted them - never heard a word from the buyer.

My kids broke a window winder in the back of an Austin Princess. Couldn't find a replacement, but found a Marina handle fitted. Bought two from a scrappy and fitted them - never heard a word from the buyer.

Perhaps they thought it was a wind up .......

I recall a popular trick with wheel trims. You'd put the same pair on one side and a different pair on t'other. How many buyers would spot that?

The only flaw in that observation is that this is a brand new vehicle! ;)

Perhaps they thought it was a wind up .......

groan......................... :death:

Just had a look at a picture of a LHD Yaris, and that had the upright moulding on the driver's door.

So?

Of course, a Toyota dealer would never stoop that low................................................................................................

• Like 1

I've looked at some Yaris on Toyota's used car finder section of the Toyota website, and they all have the same as CPN's Yaris - just an upright moulding on the driver's door.

Curiouser and curiouser...

So?

Of course, a Toyota dealer would never stoop that low................................................................................................

I actually watched my vehicle being unloaded off of the delivery truck with all its protection stuff still on it... Trust me, the dealer did nothing...

It probably contains the aerial for the remote key system.

Now there's a plausible possibility! :)

Or GPS / DAB antenna?

The GPS antennas are all spread out under the dashboard inside the vehicle. The DAB antenna (on the new model year) where fitted, is now combined into the standard roof antenna as a loaded coil... So no, neither of those.

Or GPS / DAB antenna?

They need 'blue sky' for best operation. The location suggests something to do with the driver and putting it with the mirror avoids having to transmit/receive through the metal door skin.

The manual is quite specific about the smart entry system antennas...

post-126463-0-46755000-1435611883_thumb.

Never noticed this moulding on mine until I read this thread then I spotted it this morning! My best guess would be the remote locking receiver antenna as the drivers door is the one you normally approach. Is smart entry available on the Hybrid version? I thought it was just keyless start with normal remote/key operated locking.

Yes, I have the Smart Pack on my Yaris Hybrid. See post 16 above for the location of the antennas. So, no, it's not that.

I've just checked our 2014 Trend with keyless entry on both front doors, and likewise it's the same.

If I get around to it I'll remove the kick plate at the base of the A pillar to see if the wiring loom to the door can be disconnected and will then see if any functions (sat nav / external temp display etc) are lost.

The trim is only fitted on the drivers door on either left or right hand drive cars and is fitted to remove a buffeting noise that occurs due to the difference in positioning of mirrors on either door, if you look carefully the mirrors are not symmetrical and the positioning of the drivers mirror caused a noise, removed with the additional moulding.

There are no antennas/ sensors hidden behind it.

My New Excel Yaris has exactly the same mouldings, Part of Toyota's multi million spend to improve the Yaris overall, suspect it is for Quieter wind noise levels, also they have improved cabin sound insulation /suspension,/ Steering, no idea why the mouldings are different.

(referring to post #20)

Yesss! I knew it had to be airflow related! BUT, why are the mirrors not symmetrical?? What were they thinking at Toyota? I've just measured both sides and the differences I found were, in a centre line from the window glass at right angles to it, to the outer edge of the driver's mirror, 26cm. To the passenger mirror edge, 25cm. Also, the driver's mirror is 1cm deeper (overall) than the passenger's. Why on earth these differences? What was wrong with putting exactly the same size mirror on both sides mounted in exactly the same spot?!

My New Excel Yaris has exactly the same mouldings, Part of Toyota's multi million spend to improve the Yaris overall, suspect it is for Quieter wind noise levels, also they have improved cabin sound insulation /suspension,/ Steering, no idea why the mouldings are different.

You said "mouldings" (plural). Are you saying that you have the same moulding on both sides? To answer your last question, see Devon Aygo's post 20 above (he's a Toyota dealer).

The Mercedes W124 and one previous version of the Seat Ibiza had a larger door mirror on the driver's side compared to the passenger side.

Yesss! I knew it had to be airflow related! BUT, why are the mirrors not symmetrical?? What were they thinking at Toyota? I've just measured both sides and the differences I found were, in a centre line from the window glass at right angles to it, to the outer edge of the driver's mirror, 26cm. To the passenger mirror edge, 25cm. Also, the driver's mirror is 1cm deeper (overall) than the passenger's. Why on earth these differences? What was wrong with putting exactly the same size mirror on both sides mounted in exactly the same spot?!

I have just been out having a good look at mine and could not see any difference - but then I did not have a tape measure with me. I can (sort of) understand the different sized mirror on the drivers' side as the outside temperature sensor and associated wiring is probably in there. But, as you say, why not fit the same size both sides with the same moulding? You have to admire the attention to detail!