Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Ok, It's A Kind Of "spot The Difference" Puzzle Time For Y

CPN

Yesss! I knew it had to be airflow related! BUT, why are the mirrors not symmetrical?? What were they thinking at Toyota? I've just measured both sides and the differences I found were, in a centre line from the window glass at right angles to it, to the outer edge of the driver's mirror, 26cm. To the passenger mirror edge, 25cm. Also, the driver's mirror is 1cm deeper (overall) than the passenger's. Why on earth these differences? What was wrong with putting exactly the same size mirror on both sides mounted in exactly the same spot?!

I have just been out having a good look at mine and could not see any difference - but then I did not have a tape measure with me. I can (sort of) understand the different sized mirror on the drivers' side as the outside temperature sensor and associated wiring is probably in there. But, as you say, why not fit the same size both sides with the same moulding? You have to admire the attention to detail!

They're not symmetrical because you don't drive sat in the middle of the car, and as such blind spots could be caused on one side if both are possitioned identically.

I have just been out having a good look at mine and could not see any difference - but then I did not have a tape measure with me. I can (sort of) understand the different sized mirror on the drivers' side as the outside temperature sensor and associated wiring is probably in there. But, as you say, why not fit the same size both sides with the same moulding? You have to admire the attention to detail!

Indeed but I still don't understand the need... The outside temperature sensor is not in either mirror. Think about it, that would put it directly in the view of the sun for most of the day and would give a false reading... Not sure of the exact location but it is usually mounted somewhere that is in constant shade and not directly affected by under bonnet heat. Directly behind the front grill in front of the radiator is a favourite, also the inside front end of either front wheel arch...

They're not symmetrical because you don't drive sat in the middle of the car, and as such blind spots could be caused on one side if both are positioned identically.

I understand your premise but still don't see that the effect would be enough to justify different sized mirrors or mountings...

The outside temperature sensor is not in either mirror.

I knew I had read it somewhere - I believe our Peugeot 207CC and most other Peugeots also have the sensor fitted in a mirror housing.

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?4675064-Where-is-the-vehicle-external-temperature-sensor&s=8f6d5bd637585477ca004cff80d431e9&p=62388425&viewfull=1#post62388425

The outside temperature sensor is not in either mirror.

Its in the Mirror in most Fiat group cars also.

I knew I had read it somewhere - I believe our Peugeot 207CC and most other Peugeots also have the sensor fitted in a mirror housing.

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?4675064-Where-is-the-vehicle-external-temperature-sensor&s=8f6d5bd637585477ca004cff80d431e9&p=62388425&viewfull=1#post62388425