Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Avensis 53 Plate Engine Idling Problem. Drops Revs And Shakes Car Obvi

Gittoes

Hi,

New to here but hope you all can help.

I have a Avensis SH53ULK and the engine has started dropping revs when idling at lights etc making the car shake a bit.

Is this down to a problem with the idle control or could it be the spark plugs misfiring?

I had a Seat Ibiza a few years ago and it almost feels the same as when the spark plug coils went on it causing the car to almost rock as it was misfiring.

Im not much of a mechanic but can turn my hand to most things so if this is an easy fix ill take a crack at it.

Going to do the handbrake adjustment following what ive found on here as the cable needs tightened after i replace the rear brake pads and discs but there was no extra play in the adjustment arm there.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help point me in the right direction.

Gareth

I'd think the idle drop / roughness is unlikely to be the plugs or the coil packs, you'd tend to get it through the upper rev range as well. Could be the throttle body and idle control valve, plenty of posts about it on here eg

http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/topic/72059-avensis-lowrough-idle-speed-update/

As to the question about adjusting your handbrake cable, that could be a can of worms since you say you've replaced the pads and discs. How did you wind back the pistons?

By the way is that a foty of Tom Weir's statue on the West Highland Way in your avatar?

Yes it is. It's a cracking wee statue isn't it. You been there? We stayed in the oak tree inn. Lovely quality rooms.

we wound back the Pistons through the back discs but the handbrake is a bit loose even with them ramped right up.

That's how I thought maybe adjusting the cable from the other end might help.

Is the idle control valve a job that I could attempt or is that a garage number and how much do you think that's going to cost?

Thanks

Did you wind the pistons all the way back then wind them back out to align with the pads? Some calipers you have to be make absolutely sure the last turning movement you made was to unwind them, not a wee bit too far out then back in a wee bit to line them up. If you don't get the internal adjuster set right then you're absolutely wasting your time adjusting the hand brake cable.

You might be better taking the car to a local garage to get it scanned for fault codes. I believe P0505 is for Idle Control Fault. Then they'd have to check it out for split hoses or vacuum leaks etc and should be able to give you a quote.

Haven't seen Tom's statue yet but it's becoming as much a photoshoot as that Duke of Wellington statue with the traffic cone on his head in George Square.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links