Do Not Sell My Personal Information

What Is The Most Reliable Cheap Toyota For A Young Driver.

AlysAvensis

My brother's 206 diesel is causing him many problems, it's been a problem car ever since he's had it, on the way back from Glastonbury his clutch went on the M5 (so if there was a jam he caused it) and I've told my dad we should just scrap it now.

I'm 26 I had a 1.0 Yaris a year ago and had no issues at all and sold it on and they've had no issues great little car although starting to rust, now got an Avensis 2.2 D4D again no issues lovely reliable car but I know bad one's are out there.

He wants a diesel as he's starting a job in London so needs something 50+mpg I was thinking of a Corolla D4D any advice or suggestions would be appreciated :D

Diesel Yaris another possibility.

They seem to be pretty rare on the used car market what are the diesel's in them like?

They seem to be pretty rare on the used car market what are the diesel's in them like?

The pre-DPF are good and people tend to hang on to them. More recent with the DPF do seem to throw a few problems with that system.

However, fuel economy on the petrol cars isn't bad, diesel fuel is more expensive and a diesel Yaris will likely be more expensive to buy, so do the math about costs - including servicing, etc.

• Like 1

if he's travelling from up north down to London I suggest the 2.0 d4d corolla, I believe there are two versions 89bhp and 115bhp- this 1cd-ftv engine is belt driven. avensis is a good motorway mile muncher(check insurance beforehand)

the 1.4 d4d in the yaris/corolla wont cut the mustard on the motorway in my opinion.

or the 2.0 auris after 2009 why 2009? to avoid the ad headgasket issues.

• Like 1

The 2.0D4D Corolla is a great car but will totally mess your left knee up if you drive it in start-stop traffic a lot (The clutch on that thing is haaaaaaard). Has ridiculous amounts of torque, could probably tow a house with it. Really comfy, great motorway cruiser, but really needs a 6th gear as the engine could easily run at a lower rev at 70.

The Mk1 Yaris D4D is the best car Toyota have ever made - It's light, has bullet-proof reliability, is basically indestructible, is incredibly economical even when hooning about and gives even the HSDs a run for their money (Pretty good for a >10 year old car!), maintenance is cheap (14" rims; Tyres are half the cost of the 15" rims of later models and waaay cheaper than the 16" and 17" rims!), the torque of the 1.4 D4D in a sub-tonne car makes it a joy to drive and it will demolish any incline. It has excellent face destroying straight-line braking. Mid-range acceleration is lovely; The variable turbo is on at 1800rpm and gives max torque right up to 3000rpm so it will launch from 60mph to 70mph quickly enough to get into gaps. Even at 70mph, you can floor it and it'll keep accelerating :D It'll get up to 90 on a flat runway pretty easily but then struggles to get north of that unless you're feeding it V-Power diesel.

I may be slightly biased as I really love mine :D :wub:

It does have some downsides: It is horribly understeery, but the understeer is very progressive and doesn't just suddenly fling you off the side of the road. The car also has quite comedic amounts of body roll. It's also very sensitive to tyres; I had some Conti PC2E's on before and the car had much better grip and stopping power. Have some Cooper CS2's on right now and it's much more understeery and the ABS will kick in under hard braking. The steering is also IMHO over-assisted.

Ones south of 70,000 miles are rare and hard to find and tend to be relatively expensive.

If looking at small cars, the Aygo is also quite fun; Handling is fantastic and it's very agile, plus the steering feel is muuuuch nicer than the Yaris Mk1. The engine has good launch, but if you're used to a diesel it will probably be too weedy as you have to run it at over 3000rpm+ to get even close to the same pull as the D4D at 1800rpm...

• Like 1

I know what you're saying with a petrol Yaris, my 1.0 Blue was amazing on fuel but I'm getting the exact same out of my 2.2 Avensis and considering the Avensis weighs an extra 400kg ontop of the Yaris I think that's pretty good (I was getting between 48-50mpg in the Yaris).

10702185_10152308374602680_8612655852672

Only reason I think my brother would want a diesel is he gets around 70mpg from his 206 when it works haha.

Someone in my street has a pre dpf Yaris and worships it but the issue I see is my 1.0 Yaris had 95k and I bought it off someone who really didn't know the value for £700, the diesels with around 150k seem to start at £1,500

Yeah, the cost disparity between the petrol and diesel Mk1's is huge :crybaby:

The problem is the D4D ones were only made for 2-3 years so they are much rarer, whereas there are loads of petrol ones. The rarity plus the dieselness pushes the prices up; I picked up one that had done 30k and had 5 doors about 2-3 years ago and it cost me 4k! :eek: Even the T-Sport model is less rare than a 5-door D4D!

It is a !Removed! good car tho'.

If your bro is more interested about the mpg than the torque characteristics, the Aygo is pretty good on fuel too. I generally get 550-600 miles out of a tank in my D4D; I had an Aygo loaner for a while and got 450-500 out of it which is pretty good since it has a smaller tank. (I also wasn't driving it as economically as I could have; Was too gentle and kept stalling it at first so started treating it the way you're supposed to treat jappy engines :naughty::lol:)

I was in a very similar situation to your brother as I had a 100mile round trip commute to work for many years. I bought a 2002 Corolla 2.0 (110hp) for the purpose and it served me very well. I sold it after 10 years and 215.000 miles.

During that time I replaced the HP fuel pump (175k) and a front shock absorber (200k). All else was original, exhaust, water pump, belts (not cam belt of course), clutch etc. The car is still in daily use by one of my colleagues who is using it for his commute. He's had no problems in the years he's had it.

Of course, this is my experience, your mileage may vary.

My car was pre- dpf and dmf but there is still a lot that can go wrong but the Corolla just seems to be pretty bulletproof.

Sent from my iPhone

• Like 1

Yeah, the old Corollas were really solid cars!

I miss the Corolla T-Sport owners we used to get here, always used to be them vs the RAV4 peeps to see who could dominate the annual What car do you own poll :lol:

'My car was pre- dpf and dmf but there is still a lot that can go wrong but the Corolla just seems to be pretty bulletproof'

are you sure it never had a dual mass flywheel, as far as I know none of the 1cd-ftv models came with a solid flywheel.

I put a 2002 d4d into eurocarparts and it showed a dmf to fit that car, maybe someone before your self converted it solid or the dmf lasted a long time.

I personally change waterpumps when I change the timing belt (if they are cam belt driven) if the pump seizes it will take the belt with it.

@cyker, Your brother needs a new clutch kit in his car, when the pressure plate goes bad it results in a heavy clutch the other possibility could be the master cylinder,

I agree that the yaris 1.4 d4d is a good car but good luck finding one under 100k at a reasonable price. I have tried in the past.

• Like 1

'My car was pre- dpf and dmf but there is still a lot that can go wrong but the Corolla just seems to be pretty bulletproof'

are you sure it never had a dual mass flywheel, as far as I know none of the 1cd-ftv models came with a solid flywheel.

Nope - I'm not sure. Just assumed it was too old. It may well have DMF - I never had a problem with it so never found it which. No one has touched it either as I had the car more or less from new.

@avensisd4d786 - He doesn't have it any more (Was written off :crybaby:), but every 2.0D4D Corolla owner I've spoken to on here has reported similarly firm clutch springs aside from one guy who had a non-Toyota clutch put in, so I just assumed it was a 'feature' of the car.

I did wonder if it is a thing with the 1CD engine as even the clutch on my dad's Verso, which has the same engine, requires a fair amount of force (Thankfully the upright driving position of the Verso means you can just lean your weight on it so it's not as tiring!). You really notice the difference vs the newer Versos with the AD engines.

• Like 1