Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

1.4 D4d Dpf Issues

habiba29

Hi guys,

Recently i noticed the yellow spanner came on whilst i was driving. Instantly i thought oh i must have ran low on engine oil (normally check it regularly but was on a road trip for a month so sister was using the car, forgot to check it), so i reduced my speed and went the 5 miles back to my house. I let the car cool for 40ish minutes. went to check the oil and it was over ? so i rang the dealership and brought it in the next day. I was told that this could be an issue with the dpf but was told to drive the car for another 1k after the tech had reduced the oil level back to normal. I was told very frankly that the dpf is very costly and that it wouldn't be covered under warranty ! After research i have found that the cost of this car run into the thousands ! is it true it wouldn't be covered? As my driving both involves driving on the Motorway, country roads and city driving every day, i mean i don't drive like a granny for this type of fault to occur and my distances are more than long enough for the car to warm up properly. Surely i can't be expected to front this cost seeing as many other manufacturers have become aware of this issue and have paid for the repairs.

So basically i took the car for a long 30 minute stint on the motorway making sure i was at high revs to give the exhaust to properly heat up. After this i went for a cold down session in the car i.e. just driving it normally to slight more conservative. i got home and realised my revs were sitting at 1k which is tad more than usual so i guessed it was regining again so i ran in the house for 2 minutes (leaving it on) then took the car for another gentle run. So basically does anyone have any advise or information concerning my situation ? sorry for the long winded explanation, i just wanted to get the idea across. also the light for the engine oil decided to turn off when i was about to take it to the garage the next day :/ . so yeah any advise (useful) or help would be much appreciated !!, also does the dpf continue to work even when parked in neutral? just so i know i didn't interrupt the cycle.

Yaris 2012 1.4 d4d with 78K on the clock ! :)

Also am from Britain as i know this is a EU form

Also still have another 5K until my next service.

Heard that you need atleast 1/4 tank for it to regen ? is that true? when my car was regening on idle i was sitting at 2 and a half bars and when i returned it had dropped my fuel by about a bar.

going to check the oil again in the morning :))))

In all my years as a motor tech I have never replaced a DPF. If they become clogged so that they will not run you can remove them and run a water pressure cleaner through to remove the soot.

If the car runs, you can clean them by driving slow at a high rev for 30 mins so that they get really hot and burn themselves clean.

It takes as much fuel as it is needed to do a 30 min, high rev journey

Leaving the car on Idle is no good as the exhaust gases are not hot enough, nor do they have enough pressure to clean out the DPF.

It should be covered by warranty if they can't show you to have been at fault in causing the issue. The fact that the DPF light didn't come in is interesting. With the sort of driving you're doing though there shouldn't be an issue.

In all my years as a motor tech I have never replaced a DPF. If they become clogged so that they will not run you can remove them and run a water pressure cleaner through to remove the soot.

If the car runs, you can clean them by driving slow at a high rev for 30 mins so that they get really hot and burn themselves clean.

It takes as much fuel as it is needed to do a 30 min, high rev journey

Leaving the car on Idle is no good as the exhaust gases are not hot enough, nor do they have enough pressure to clean out the DPF.

Hi yeah i read something about pressure cleaning them, is this something i should enquire at a garage about or should i attempt it myself ? i mean i know a lot about cars and some problems but when it comes to hand on labour it is non existence :)

As mentioned i did do a 30 minute ride at high rpms on the motorway, i hope this has fixed the issue.

And yeah leaving it on idle isn't the best but seeing as it was either i turn the car off mid cycle or leave it running whilst i nipped in the house, i picked just leaving it on for the 1 or 2 minutes i was away.

It should be covered by warranty if they can't show you to have been at fault in causing the issue. The fact that the DPF light didn't come in is interesting. With the sort of driving you're doing though there shouldn't be an issue.

Yeah thats what i thought but the guy at the dealership still tried to pass it off as wear and tear issue, which i believe is just not right as the car was bought in good faith that it wouldn't cost me at a given time a fortune to repair before the warranty finishes. Any idea how i maybe able to try and convince them it a warranty manufacture issue ?

This is all just speculation at the moment tho, i just want to be armed if the issue is the dpf and that they want me to cover the costs. I shall find out in 1k miles :/

Thanks for the quick reply guys ! :)

Just don't accept no for an answer, if they really turn out to be a pain to deal with you may need to seek legal advise (legal protection on home insurance normally covers consumer disputes).

Sure a DPF isn`t covered by a warranty just give it an opportunity to regenerate on a regular basis and stop worrying about it until it doesn`t regen.

Your oil level is high because not all of the fuel injected is making it into the exhaust for regen purposes. So it's seeping past the rings and into the sump instead and diluting your oil and reducing its effectiveness. The dealer should have replaced the oil, not just drained a bit out.

As for warranty? It's a tough call, you'll need to prove your driving style, type of journey etc is suitable. If the differential pressure sensor is telling the ecu the dpf is blocked enough to req a regen then the ecu will attempt to burn off the particulate matter.

The fact your oil level is high suggests the ecu has been unable to complete its task.

The worst thing you can do is slow down or stop. Doing so interrupts the regen cycle.

• Like 1

Yeah thanks guys,

They will change the oil next time I go in (after 1k) if the engine oil is still rising. Yeah I know I shouldn't worry too much but with just a bit of research I can tell that this sort of issue is very occurrent in diesel cars now and I just don't want to be caught off guard if this issue progresses. Is there anyone on here who's also had this issue in Warenty if so, what did you do or any advice as a 1k bill for a student is a lot and yeah yeah I know I shouldn't buy a car if you can't maintain it, yeah but that's the reason I bought a Toyota because of there aftercare and there Warenty to protect me from these issues. Also if it were necessary and I had no option I would dip into my savings but I would just consider trading it in and getting something else then

• 4 months later...

I had the same problem with my Yaris, from new.

look for "Yaris diesel - how many mpg" & "yaris dpf problem" on this forum.

Toyota eventually agreed to change the DPF, after over 2 years of problems.

1 year later, it all started again.

I have now given up, part exchanged it for a VW.

Farewell to Toyota for me, the most miserable experience I've ever had with a car, I will never own another one.

:no:

Fire and frying pan comes to mind :)

Farewell to Toyota for me, the most miserable experience I've ever had with a car, I will never own another one.

Good luck, Toyota are not the only ones to have issues, in fact some manufactures have more! What so of mileage do you do? TBH Diesel is a dead tech for cars these days, I can't see if being a big available option in a decades time.

Between 10 & 12k per year.

I believe the issue is that the active regeneration doesn't do enough, there is a cumulative effect that is hard to overcome. If you drive the thing gently, it accumulates soot at a certain rate, drive it hard, it accumulates it faster. After the ECU dictated regen it may be an idea to blast it for a further 10 or 15 minutes. Otherwise, pay a dealership for an annual "forced" regen.

Whatever the requirement, it has a nasty effect on the economy, and, I suspect, eventual engine life.

Enough is enough for me, I give up.

Enough is enough for me, I give up.

So the replacement isn't a DERV then?

• 1 year later...

hi Habiba,

Exacly the same thing has just happened to me (2013 Yaris 4D4 49k miles)

95% of my mileage is a 50 mile daily coummute, mainly 70mph dual carriageway.

Spanner light came on + high oil level, I've reset the light & its been off for 120miles.

How did this end for you ?.

On 11/27/2015 at 10:10 AM, Stuart303 said:

Good luck with your VW. Lovely cars arguably better built and styled that Toyota but not immune to DPF issues to put it mildly!

14 hours ago, ///MAZI said:

Good luck with your VW. Lovely cars arguably better built and styled that Toyota but not immune to DPF issues to put it mildly!

I previously owned a few VW group cars and whilst they felt more solidly built than most Toyotas that did not ever seem to translate into decent reliability. Mechanically they were full of tedious niggling faults, and sometimes quite expensive ones. I reckon nowadays VAG cars are no more reliable than PSA, and perhaps worse.

Worse than PSA is harsh. Although I am bias.

Cannot compare PSA product with anything German or Japanese!

• 2 years later...
On 11/28/2015 at 12:44 AM, MikeSh said:

Fire and frying pan comes to mind 🙂

I have owned Toyota's for a long time, all petrol never had had issues . Always reliable.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links