Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Friends 1zz Had No Oil Showing On The Dipstick! Filled Just In Tim

Konrad C

Over the weekend I got to experience a T25 model. I have been in a T22 1ZZ and it was not bad.

I was with a friend and she owns a T4 1.8 model. I mentioned the oil burning issue and she said lets check the oil.

Good thing we did, as there was no oil reading on the dipstick! I checked 3 times giving it time. The car had been off for more than an hour. Luckily she carried a can of oil and I poured over 2 litres, to get it up half way between the marks. Just in time!

The car was showing 134,000 miles and is a '04' model.

I never had to carry a big can of oil and the most I would need to top up my old 7A-FE, is a small amount to MAX not empty.

The car drove smoothly is well appointed. The boot is huge! I thought mine was big, but the Mk2 is bigger. Basically a nice car with a flawed engine!

Overall, I would say to anybody to get a phase 2 Avensis (2006-onwards) 1.8, 2.0 petrol or the phase 1 diesel (1CD).

If I had an early 1ZZ that is burning oil, I would look for a scrap or second-hand engine from 2006 onwards, as a cost effective replacement. It is just a matter of sourcing that engine.

The problem is that there are other cars which are more cost effective, unless you are an Avensis fanatic and don't mind the hassle, and can get the job done cheaply.

One last thing. There are people buying these cars who are not aware or do any research. Same goes for any make/model. This forum has new members who discovered the issues which are well documented.

• Like 1

I can never understand ppl running that low on their engine oil, of all things. I went to see a Volvo XC90 just recently and when I dipped the oil - zilch showing. They guy actually thought that he didn't have to check the oil until the light came on. I wonder if it's going to be the same with the Tyre Pressure Monitoring Systems.

You know the old saying, if you think Maintenance is expensive - try ignorance.

• Like 3

Konrad that is the exact advice I give to family and friends, I suggest only buying a pre 2005 vvti if proof can be shown that the short block has been replaced.

• Like 1

I can never understand ppl running that low on their engine oil, of all things. I went to see a Volvo XC90 just recently and when I dipped the oil - zilch showing. They guy actually thought that he didn't have to check the oil until the light came on. I wonder if it's going to be the same with the Tyre Pressure Monitoring Systems.

You know the old saying, if you think Maintenance is expensive - try ignorance.

I'm reminded of the old joke about the woman taking her car into the garage to get a longer dipstick fitted. When they ask her why, she says

'Well, the one on the car now doesn't reach down to the oil anymore.....'

• Like 2

Don't get me started about women drivers, I'm married to one. but I remember a long time ago we had one that came into theg garage we called her the Black Widow, she drove a 6 cylinder Ford Zodiac (told you it was a long time ago) her and her man had bought it brand new and they'd had it for ages. After he died she wouldn't part with it.

She had it serviced every year but anything it needed - and I mean anything, dead flies on the windscreen in summer, garage, windscreen washer needing topped up, garage and she never ever used a self service petrol pump. One day she came in and was complaining about the petrol consumption and I got landed with it.

I took it in the workshop and checked the timing and the carb mixture but there was nothing wrong with it really. I mean, a 6 cylinder on short runs all the time, what do you expect? When I brought it back round to her I said I had advanced the timing a couple of degrees and in a flash of inspiration I said I'd adjusted the clutch pedal because the clutch was slipping a wee bit and that would be wasting petrol. Boy oh boy, next day she was back complaining that she couldn't change gears now since I had adjusted the clutch. I had her on my back for about a week so never again did I lie tp a woman about anything I did to her car. They have a way of just knowing, must be something they learn at their mother's knee.

• Like 1