Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Budget 2015 Car Tax

redmini963

In the budget there increasing the tax for new cars from 2017 dose any one know will this mean the current tax rate will now raise from £30 for my IQ3 to £140 or will it be a slight increase like the older pre Co2 rate.

Daniel

The changes in the budget do not affect cars already on the road (and those purchased before 2017). So whatever you pay now will be unchanged going forwards

;-)

Dave

The new system comes into effect on 1st April 2017, and is for new cars first registered on or after that date.

Cars first registered before 1st April 2017 retain the existing system, so currently the rate of your Vehicle Excise Duty won't change.

However be aware that this is a new system and there is still scope for Government to increase vehicle excise duty rates whichever system a car comes under - so don't assume that your car will still automatically retain a £30 VED.

As has been said, the new laws aren't in effect until 2017 and changes cannot be applied retrospectively, so while they can increase vehicle tax a bit on all vehicles in all categories, the £140 rate will only apply to new cars in 2017.

As far as increasing the £30 rate or the free tax on vehicles with emissions under 99 g/km, well that's up to governments and budgets down the line, but i seriously doubt they'd put it up by nearly five times!

I would imagine all tax brackets will rise in time with inflation, not sure how the free tax for low emissions vehicles will change though...

Maybe time to start buying a few 1.0L IQ's and storing them as a cheap-to-run future classic?! :naughty:

I guess any future Toyota city car that replaces the iQ will be more efficient than what we're driving now, meaning it will fall into the cheapest tax category in 2017 and beyond.

Chris

iQ² ☆ black with red leather ☆ upgraded interior lighting ☆ white backlit dashboard/switches ☆ auto-folding mirrors ☆ smart entry ☆ auto-locking doors ☆ chrome exhaust ☆

For Europe, we already have the replacement for the IQ - the expanded Aygo range.

The new aygo is cheaply built car like the previous aygo in my opinion its not a replacement for the iq there is now quality in it at all had one for the day the best thing about it was the rear parking camera. It just feels cheap i won't be buying one, lets hope the partnership with mini will bring a mini mini and a replacement for the IQ.

I'm not convinced that the Aygo is a credible replacement for the iQ. Both models cater for different demographics; the iQ was positioned above the Yaris in terms of perceived quality, while the Aygo falls far short of that... for me at least :) Hopefully rumours of Toyota's joint venture with BMW MINI to create a small city will come to fruition.

( http://jalopnik.com/report-bmw-and-toyota-teaming-up-to-make-mini-small-ag-1681382141 )

Edit: @redmini963 - I was typing at the same time as you :) Glad you feel the same about the build quality.

Chris

iQ² ☆ black with red leather ☆ upgraded interior lighting ☆ white backlit dashboard/switches ☆ auto-folding mirrors ☆ smart entry ☆ auto-locking doors ☆ chrome exhaust ☆

Id buy a mini rocket man they should build it the new mini is getting so be its nearly as big as a golf now hope they can pull it off.

For me, the concept of the IQ and indeed the original Smart were like progressions of the original Issigonis Mini concept of a light weight, practical, space efficient vehicle.

Granted both are bigger and heavier than an original mini, but then, you have to add extra weight for strength, then modern safety things like airbags and impact zones, insulation and the modern toys we love so much.

It's sad to see so many manufacturers are going for bigger, heavier, more power rather than keeping it as simple, light and efficient as possible, i mean, the only thing the BMW mini and the proper Mini have in common are the name and Badge!

I think the only other city car i'm currently looking forward to is the Gordon Murray T25, which last time i heard was trying to find a partnership with a major company.

Still, as Chris said, i'm sure there will be next generation city cars, but as far as how much tax they'll cost.... :no:

• Like 2

For Toyota any replacement IQ would need to sell in sufficient numbers to justify importing it from Japan - and what killed the IQ for Europe was falling sales, the cost of producing it in Japan and the expense of importing it into the EU. Poor sales in the US and Canada, was also what killed the Scion IQ - as the public didn't take to such a small car.

Building a replacement at the Czech Republic plant wouldn't be a goer, as that is a Joint Venture plant with PSA.

One nice thing about jappy cars is they're RHD so there is always the possibility to import one yourself!

One nice thing about jappy cars is they're RHD so there is always the possibility to import one yourself!

.... but any warranty wouldn't be transferable as they won't be Type Approved for the EU

As said in the budget. " From April 2017 all NEW cars" This will apply to all new cars

Here's a good article I read explaining everything in a bit more detail:

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/news/article-3153506/Road-tax-band-140-fall-95-new-cars-2017-Chancellor-overhauls-vehicle-excise-duty.html

But no one should worry as there are no changes to the current tax band system and no changes for any vehicles currently on the road.

:)

The new aygo is cheaply built car like the previous aygo in my opinion its not a replacement for the iq there is now quality in it at all had one for the day the best thing about it was the rear parking camera. It just feels cheap i won't be buying one

As a former iQ3 owner and now an Aygo Mark 2 owner I agree.

There are things I like about the Aygo compared to the iQ, but I would have preferred to pay more for the Aygo and it have the same build quality as the iQ.

The new aygo is cheaply built car like the previous aygo in my opinion its not a replacement for the iq there is now quality in it at all had one for the day the best thing about it was the rear parking camera. It just feels cheap i won't be buying one, lets hope the partnership with mini will bring a mini mini and a replacement for the IQ.

Slightly off topic ( and then back again)
I moved from an iQ to a new Aygo X—Pression. The lease was up and I didn’t want to pay more to finance a 3 year old car than it would cost to have something brand new. My choice.
They are quite different cars and each have their merits. I have to admit I spent the first few weeks missing the iQ and concentrating on what the Aygo DIDN’T have rather than what the Aygo DID have.
The iQ is a much more expensive car than the Aygo. But I agree the interior looks “cheap “ I guess compared to the iQ but it is perfectly serviceable and the seats themselves are much better in the Aygo in my opinion. I think the ride is better over uneven ground and I like the throaty 3 cylinder engine note although some may consider it intrusive. The brakes and steering are excellent.
I miss the turning circle of the iQ, it’s clever use of space and the general “uniqueness” of it. I have keyless on the Aygo but not power folding mirrors which I miss (due to where I park at work). Not so concerned about the lack of auto wipers as I always thought mine were unreliable and often had to manually intervene.
But 4 months in I don’t think I would go back to an iQ. I would miss having 4 doors, a glove box, rear parcel shelf proper rear seats and a separate boot. I like the rinky dinky LED running lights and the ruddy great X on the front. But above all I simply could not go back to the archaic entertainment system in the iQ. It would be like swopping Sky Plus for a VHS player.
I currently pay £0 VED but that will change of I get another Aygo in a couple of years whereas all your iQs will stay free forever (probably) which may be more attractive to owners than touch screens, Astro Boy looks and Atari style rev counters.
But certainly don’t be dismiss the Aygo e should you be considering a change.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links