Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Another New Owner

iQofaMouse

Hello everyone,

I've had my little 2010 iQ3 CVT for almost a fortnight now and I'm smitten. I previously owned a 2001 Yaris and thought that couldn't be bettered but it has. I'm interested to see exactly what I can get in terms of fuel economy (my commute is mainly dual carriageway) and have just joined Fuelly.

Cheers,

Nicola

post-149207-0-07464700-1437153622_thumb.

Hello Nicola - welcome to Toyota Owners Club

Hello and welcome. I love my 1.3 it really love to be rev'd. Mine is the 6 speed manual though. I'm sure it will be a long lasting love affair :)

I had my iQ3 for over four years and loved it.

Many thanks for the warm welcome everyone! :)

Yes I can see this being a long lasting love affair too - I've even been considering detailing as a potential new hobby and I've never been that attentive to my previous cars. Definitely some decontamination of the paintwork required to begin with. Will have to check the funds first though!

I have however treated her to some new rear mud flaps and will fit when I can...

Thanks again,

Nicola

Welcome Nicola. It will be interesting to see your fuelly resuts. I expect like me you will be impressed by how much more to the gallon you get compared to the dash readout. Mine is usually about 3mpg better. I dont know how you can exploit an auto to give best mpg, other than being very gentle on the throttle. Spec results give the same mpg for manual and auto, but I am managing to beat them by coasting as much as poss. I do find the constant need for gearchanging a bit wearing though, and wished I had considered an auto. Enjoy, Colin

Hi Colin, many thanks for the warm welcome. I shall enjoy I'm sure!

I think you're right about being gentle on the throttle with an auto, but I can't as yet think what could be done in addition. The car is not loaded apart from me and the necessary essentials and I do limit the use of A/C and try to keep windows closed etc. I do also like to make sure I see that eco light on as much as possible too. Anyway I too am looking forward to my first fuelly results, especially if it is more than the car currently states as you say.

My Dad was a die-hard manual driver until he started borrowing my old Yaris Auto and loved how relaxing a drive it was. He now has a 2013 Yaris CVT and I think his next one will be too!

Regards,

Nicola

Hi Nicola. I to look forward to seeing your Fuelly results. I forgot to say, I only use the aircon when it steams up, (have just had a sunroof fitted) but also I run mine on super unleaded, having experimented early on and discovered that the difference in fuelly cost was marginal so decided to continued with super for the engines wellbeing. When I had a Yaris T sport I couldnt get any improvement so used ordinary u/l. Cheers Colin

Ps. I always try to fill up at the same pump at my local (and cheapest) filling station, and fill right to the brim, easy to do as it fills quite easily the last little bit without spilling. Even so my alternate fillings seem to vary by about 2mpg on fuelly ?? very odd. Also I try to fillup as soon after the light starts flashing, as unlike the Yaris you cant click on and get a miles left reading, something I still miss. Such is progress. Cheers again Colin

Hi Colin,

That's really interesting actually and I thank you for your input as I'm still unsure on what to do when I come to fill her up. With my Yaris I wasn't particularly mindful of these things; in fact, I always took her to the very nearest station to home which is Asda (which is always the cheapest), I put £25 in and it would last almost a fortnight or approximately 200 miles. So I realise that now have the iQ I really need to give this more consideration. I had thought it would be better for the car to start using a premium fuel and whether to fill to the brim, but also taking into account what would work in terms of location of the nearest stations. Based on what you have said, this might be the way forward.

Miles left indicator would have been really useful, but there you go...

Thanks and regards,

Nicola

Hi Nicola. I suspect with fuelly it shouldnt make much difference how much you put in each time. I only fill to the brim because I want to get as many miles as poss out of each tank. It might be worth you trying say 3 fillups with ordinary then 3 of super and seeing if there is much difference. When I first got mine I ran it on ordinary and was getting mid 53's on fuelly. I then swapped to super and my overall consumption is gradually creeping up. (takes an age to recover) Of course, I am probably driving in a more economical manner now that the car has got used to me. (T hee). Whatever, I expect you will be filling up less than with your Yaris, such is the march of technology. I know I am pleased that a fillup only costs £33 and goes as far as £45 did in my Yaris. Looking forward to seeing your first Fuelly posting. Its slightly complicated to get it to come up on your posts but there is a thread on here somewhere tells you how to do it. Mine worked first time. Cheers Colin

Hi Colin, I'm due to fill up tomorrow and I'm going to take your advice and do a 3 ordinary vs. super and see what goes. I still think the automatic factor will still tell though, but if I start saving money on where I was with the Yaris, then I will be very pleased.

I know what you mean about the car getting used to you, my poor iQ has me to contend with!?

Thanks for the tip on posting the Fuelly result, will come in handy I'm sure.

Regards,

Nicola

• 3 weeks later...

Right, well I've been away a little bit as sadly a very close friend of mine passed away just over a week ago. As a consequence things in my world have turned upside down a little bit and fuel related numbers haven't been at the forefront of my mind.

However when I've not thought about my friend, I have been turning over and over in my mind, just how come my Fuelly results so far have been a disappointment. I go through the possibilities as previously mentioned; the fuel quality, the driver(!), the transmission, the particularly hilly & therefore not much opportunity to cruise commute and any other potential factors... The display in the car actually has it much better than this!

I can only conclude that it is indeed the auto factor coupled with the commute - unless of course I am doing something wrong when it comes to inputting on Fuelly...call it operator trouble?!*

Many thanks,

Nicola

*I did get the signature Badge to display first try though! :clap:

Since owning Einstein, I've only had the cheaper fuel that was supplied by the dealer and then my first top up. The last two fillups has been with V-Power Nitro+. On the first fillup I used Forte Advanced Formula Gas Treatment (filled up halfway and then put it in and then continued to fill up).

I'm quite chuffed as I reached 401miles before filling him up on Saturday.

You must have a manual and/or a friendlier commute Mark?!

I'm going to look at it another way; I'll continue with Fuelly and if I am inputting things incorrectly then eventually I'll work it out - with more determination to better my tank each time! The most important thing regardless of mpg figures at the end of the day, is of course the overall amount I'm shelling out a month. So I will tot it up and if I'm spending less than on the Yaris, winner!

The display was reading 45.9mpg on arrival at work this morning.

Nicola

I seem to remember a while back that someone said they got different distances using the trip miles rather than the total miles covered.

Not sure if this was a one off or not but do you calculate your Fuelly based on the trip gauge or by inputting the total miles the car has covered?

I normally take a photo of the total mileage on the car using my phone at the petrol station after filling up and type that into Fuelly. Just make sure you press the left button on the dash to change through the display as pressing the right one has no purpose except to screw up the clock!

Craig.

You must have a manual and/or a friendlier commute Mark?!

I'm going to look at it another way; I'll continue with Fuelly and if I am inputting things incorrectly then eventually I'll work it out - with more determination to better my tank each time! The most important thing regardless of mpg figures at the end of the day, is of course the overall amount I'm shelling out a month. So I will tot it up and if I'm spending less than on the Yaris, winner!

The display was reading 45.9mpg on arrival at work this morning.

Nicola

My route to work and back is mainly city driving and I rarely get above 40 unless I have to overtake the lorries taking their loads to the seaforth docks. Once a week I will do a motorway run just to visit family or just go for a drive and give the engine a good blast for an hour or so.

I do switch the engine off at the lights if I know I am going to be sitting there longer than 60 seconds, its becoming a habit now to the point where I'll also coast or drop to lower gears for engine braking.

As for Fuelly, I'll be starting to take photos of the dash at the petrol station rather than doing it at home.

Mark

Thank you for your input Craig. In answer to your question; I do use the trip gauge for my Fuelly results. I always had the trip gauge showing in my old Yaris to see how many miles I was getting for each fill up - I wasn't aware of Fuelly then!

Thanks for the photo suggestion too - don't know why I didn't think of that... I usually fill up very early in the morning and with not many people about I've had the chance to scribble the details down in a notebook in my bag!

And yes, I can confirm that does indeed screw up the clock, managed that not long after acquiring the car!

Nicola

Wow what a journey Mark, quite a sightseer's paradise, though I guess doing it daily rubs the shine of it?!

Mine is a bit of a pain really, mostly dual carriageway and rather rural/long steep hilly at that. What you gain in cruising, you quickly lose having to kick her bottom to climb the hills! Most of the journey is taken around 60-70mph. Poor Mouse...

Oh well.

Nicola

Hi Nicola, sorry to hear about you friend.

If you can just try for one tank full dropping the speed of your commute from 60/70 to 50/60 just to see how much that will effect your MPG. I know it can be hard to do so, but at least it will give you an idea how much an extra 10 mph can impact the MPG.

Hi Nicola, sorry to hear about you friend.

If you can just try for one tank full dropping the speed of your commute from 60/70 to 50/60 just to see how much that will effect your MPG. I know it can be hard to do so, but at least it will give you an idea how much an extra 10 mph can impact the MPG.

Hi Soeley, many thanks for that...still in a state of shock really as it was sudden & completely unexpected. He was one of those people so full of life, you'd assume they'd go on forever.

Thanks also for your input and yes, it's a fair point actually...and no, will probably not be easy but I agree well worth trying.

Kind regards,

Nicola

Or you can say to hell with the fuel consumption, I just love driving this little thing! :-)

• Like 1

Or you can say to hell with the fuel consumption, I just love driving this little thing! :-)

:laughing:

Which is true of course :thumbsup: and I like your thinking!

Which is what I do. I don't drive for economy but still average about 50 mpg to each tank full :)

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links