Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Bulb Upgrades 2015

mhc

Doing some reading on the site about upgrading the IQ bulbs to look a bit more up-to-date and white, it seems most of the posts are from 2010-2013.

It seems back then the HIR2 / 9012 bulbs were a bit overpriced and hard to come by, but as things have moved on, i wondered if anyone had any new information on upgrades?

I know HID can be fitted but as the car is under warranty i figured staying with the standard fit bulbs would be best.

So i've found these:

http://www.ledperf.co.uk/pack-of-2-bulbs-hir2-9012-diamond-white-5000k-p-4752.html

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/161368279587?limghlpsr=true

via google, and although they say 'for off road use only' i'm sure thats just a way to get around E Marking!

So any thoughts?

The first ones are marked 'off road only', so they're not actually road legal, and in support of this don't seem to be 'E-marked' - so won't be road legal in the EU.

The second ones are similarly not 'E-marked', and won't be road legal in the EU.

It depends whether you want more light output or a blue/white light - the higher up the colour temperature range, the less light output and the more blue the light appears.

Osram are now making the HIR2 bulbs as well as Philips. I contacted Osram last year to ask whether they had plans to make Nightbreaker versions of the HIR2 bulbs. The answer was 'no', as the HIR2 bulbs were already quite efficient in terms of light output (around 75-80% brighter than standard halogen bulbs).

If you want higher light output halogen bulbs, try fitting one of the upgrade 9006 bulbs - the base will need to be modified - such as Nightbreaker Unlimited.

• 3 weeks later...

For halogen bulbs, it seems anything above 4300k is not road legal. However, if you pick 5000k or below, they look more or less legal since they should produce a clean white colour. A lot less blue than the LED headlights found on modern Mercedes anyway.

It isn't the colour temperature that makes a halogen bulb road legal, it is the wattage and the E marking (for use within the EU). Single filament bulbs (ie H11, H7, etc) are road legal up to and including 55w, and twin filament (ie H4) are road legal up to and including 60/55w.

bulbs with higher wattages (eg 80w, 100w) should be used for off-road use only.

Also bulbs with higher wattages than the legal requirement can lead to wiring and reflector damage due to the additional heat generated.

I'm not saying that all halogen bulbs below 4300k are legal, but if you try to find a halogen bulb above 4300k, I can guarantee you they will not be road legal.. This may not apply to LED or xenon. MHC did say he wanted bulbs to look more up to date and white hence why I gave my opinion on colour temperature. 5000k is fine, I've had no issues with the police and it gives a crisp white colour with no hint of blue.

A lot of modifications with lights are technically illegal;

HIDs in cars without self leveling headlights

100w bulbs

non manufacturer fitted LED bulbs

non E marked bulbs

Whilst i don't want to open a debate on the rights and wrongs of this, it seems to me that the majority of cars on the road with upgraded bulbs/headlights are fine, granted there are a few which need adjusting (i've been blinded a few times by badly fitted HIDs) but most are fine.

I've used LED sidelights in several cars, they're brighter, whiter and use less power, I've used upgraded bulbs rated at 4500-5000k that were marked 'not for road use' and in both cases never had any issues, never caused anyone to crash and never been flashed by other drivers or pulled over.

Upgrading bulbs whether for looks or visibility, if done sensibly and properly is (IMHO) good if it helps you either see or be seen better.

I was asking opinions on the above mentioned bulbs, if anyone had used them or could recommend anything to improve the standard lighting.

-technical legal issues aside.

:disgust:

Could try replacing the standard HIR2 (9012) bulbs with upgrade HB4 (9006) bulbs - eg Osram Nightbreaker Unlimited. HIR2 bulbs are approx 75-80% brighter than standard halogen and Nightbreaker unlimited 110%. The bulb base will need modifying slightly - believe removal of a tab.

This way you will get an improvement, remain legal and be OK re warranty, etc

I've had a look at those bulbs before on Ledperf and considered buying them but I wasn't too sure so I've stuck to my current setup which is 5000k sidelights and licence plate lights, 5000k 35W HID kit.. Technically it's not allowed to be used on the road, but I find that the colours give a clean white colour with no blue and doesn't blind everyone else.

• 2 weeks later...

Well i've bitten the bullet and ordered some upgrade 9012/HIR2 bulbs from the US, they're supposed to be 7500k and look very white.

Also ordered some CREE LED bulbs for the sidelights (used these on other cars and they're great)

So will post an update and hopefully some pics when they arrive. :clap:

Well i've bitten the bullet and ordered some upgrade 9012/HIR2 bulbs from the US, they're supposed to be 7500k and look very white.

Also ordered some CREE LED bulbs for the sidelights (used these on other cars and they're great)

So will post an update and hopefully some pics when they arrive. :clap:

7500K are quite blue.. I was hoping you would buy the 5000K ones from LED perf as no one I know has tried them yet.

To be honest i'm a bit dubious about the kelvin rating on bulbs.

i've had a fair few bulbs ranging from cheap eBay ones to autobulbs direct own brand and onto philips bluevision, but even though they've all been rated at 5000k, they've all been a little different, and generally i'd say less white than i'd expected (apart from the philips ones) so different manufacturers, different materials etc will all affect the rating and colour.

the pictures on the site looked pretty white rather than blue, but we'll have to wait and see!

To be honest i'm a bit dubious about the kelvin rating on bulbs.

i've had a fair few bulbs ranging from cheap ebay ones to autobulbs direct own brand and onto philips bluevision, but even though they've all been rated at 5000k, they've all been a little different, and generally i'd say less white than i'd expected (apart from the philips ones) so different manufacturers, different materials etc will all affect the rating and colour.

the pictures on the site looked pretty white rather than blue, but we'll have to wait and see!

In the end, if you're happy with them being white with hint of blue then that is your choice. Personally, I like all my bulb colours to match so I tend to look for the the 5000k blue that have no hint of blue or yellow. Sometimes I come across 5500k or 6000k bulbs being sold as 5000k and I end up just binning them.

The wisdom is that you shouldn't trust cheap and sold-from-China bulbs as being accurate or anywhere near high quality. Philips and Osram have a reputation to maintain and will provide an accurate color temperature along with having consistent results between bulbs and have a correct spectrum (warm white instead of orange-tinted white).

bulbs came today!

Sidelights are 5w CREE led (eBay item 131495129101)

bulbs are HIR2 7500k (eBay item 161368279587)

Both fitted and i'm very happy with the result. sidelights are pure white and a little brighter than standard, main lights are very white with a hint of blue, and again, seem a bit brighter.

Sidelights only:

post-149178-0-83987800-1440622239_thumb.

Main beam (sorry for the reflection of the number plate!)

post-149178-0-76220400-1440622319_thumb.

The pics don't do full justice as my phone camera didn't quite pick up how yellow the old bulbs were, still you can see the difference and i've got the result i wanted - whiter lights without HID.

Hope it helps someone! :D

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links