Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Avensis D4d Siezed Engine !

zak01

Avensis 2.2 D4D 2006 diesel/manual.

My avensis decided to pack up all of a sudden. There was some 'rattling' sound from the engine area much like alternator bearings so we decided we'd take it to a mechanic over the weekend. Before the weekend the car simply refused to start. It was fine one minute, parked up and the next day kaput. The following symtoms are present:

1. Starter tries to turn the flywheel but the engine jerks as if trying to start but wont

2. Push starting then 2nd gear doesn't work. The front tyres lock up

3. Pushing the car in reverse gear seems to let the flywheel turn in a backward motion only.

4. Engine oil/water levels all good

Mechaninc as said that theres 'something wrong' with the engine. Bit lost really. What options do i have? We have no idea what exactly could have gone wrong and 'something wrong' doesn't tell me much. Any ideas what could have happened? Do I scrap the car or is anyone doing reasonably priced rebuilds on these cars? Advise/options please guys!

Zak

I would drain the oil out and see if you find any big clumps of metal coming out, if you do then the engine is probably dead.

Is yours the chain or belt engine?

it will be chain all 2.2 are chain as far as i know

My avensis decided to pack up all of a sudden. There was some 'rattling' sound from the engine area much like alternator bearings so we decided we'd take it to a mechanic over the weekend. Before the weekend the car simply refused to start. It was fine one minute, parked up and the next day kaput. The following symtoms are present:

1. Starter tries to turn the flywheel but the engine jerks as if trying to start but wont

3. Pushing the car in reverse gear seems to let the flywheel turn in a backward motion only.

Mechaninc as said that theres 'something wrong' with the engine. Bit lost really. What options do i have? We have no idea what exactly could have gone wrong and 'something wrong' doesn't tell me much. Any ideas what could have happened? Do I scrap the car or is anyone doing reasonably priced rebuilds on these cars? Advise/options please guys!

Zak

Zak..

Couple of things below, this will not be a cheap repair, it sounds terminal

It needs a strip down and full investigation the problem is the rattle you say was that a deep knock noise or a tappey rattle?

Following steps need to be done before oil drain.

1 - stop trying to start / push the car ;)

2 - remove the cam cover and inspect for damage to the camshaft,

3 - get a strong magnet and a oil can, drain the oil into the can, whilst draining look for a sparkley substance These are metal fillings.

4 - remove the sump cover and check bottom bearings and pay attention to the rods to check and see if they are bent.

It sounds like oil starvation topend the cam may have partially welded it self hence only turning one way.

This is a big job.. and even if you manage to find the fault you will still need to drain everything wash it out, and rebuild including replacing things like the oil pump and the turbo pipes.

It maybe better if you purchase a used engine and new oil lines and recondition or get another used turbo. unless the car is under warranty.. ?

• Like 1

Zak

Zak..

It needs a strip down and full investigation the problem is the rattle you say was that a deep knock noise or a tappey rattle?

3 - get a strong magnet and a oil can, drain the oil into the can, whilst draining look for a sparkley substance These are metal fillings.

4 - remove the sump cover and check bottom bearings and pay attention to the rods to check and see if they are bent.

It sounds like oil starvation topend the cam may have partially welded it self hence only turning one way.

This is a big job.. and even if you manage to find the fault you will still need to drain everything wash it out, and rebuild including replacing things like the oil pump and the turbo pipes.

It maybe better if you purchase a used engine and new oil lines and recondition or get another used turbo. unless the car is under warranty.. ?

Can I add, if possible, an endoscope inserted through either the injector holes or the glow plug.

And with the inlet and exhaust manifolds removed, see what state the valves are in. I would check the chain. It may have snapped and is jamming the crank.

Basically an engine strip to determine what has happened and if it can be repaired.

Like Zac, it may need a reconditioned engine.

• Like 1

Zak

Zak..

Can I add, if possible, an endoscope inserted through either the injector holes or the glow plug.

And with the inlet and exhaust manifolds removed, see what state the valves are in. I would check the chain. It may have snapped and is jamming the crank.

Basically an engine strip to determine what has happened and if it can be repaired.

sounds a bit like a probe!

Thats actually not a bad idea!.. if you have access to one that would show you issues without taking head off.

I am sure you can get a turbo for 200£ and an engine for 1200.. fitted for 400.. but if you gone so far you can replace the clutch, water pump etc.

Thanks for the reply gents.

Will have a chat to the mechanic tomorrow and see what we can find out. The car isn't under a warranty. With the suspected work involved to get the car up and running again it's probably cheaper to buy another car. The oil levels were sufficiant when i checked the dipstick. What would cause oil starvation in this instance? I'm a little nervous about buying a second hand engine due to the prone head gasket issues with the 2.2 D4D engines. I'm i right in fearing this? :) Reconditioned is probably what i'll go for if i decide to fork out. Do i need to replace the turbo/fuel pump, oil lines etc with a recon engine?

Cheers!

The fuel pump wont need to be replaced.

The only reason why you would need to replace the rubber lines and turbo is to ensure metal filings are removed from the system. nothing worse than rebuilding the engine and then suffer similar faith later on.

right now we are guessing, get him to give you a better indication,

Oil pressure, could even be a jammed timing chain.

get him to remove the cam / chain cover and have a look?

on ctdi hondas its common for the chain sprocket wearing and causing the chain to slacken and eventaLYY no lomger be under tension,

• Like 1

Hi,

Although i'm late a little, but main question for me is why it blocks wheels when Zac push-starts the car. My opinion is this bearing sound that you though might have been chain slamming sound. This is known for chain being too loose, if so, then i have 2 ideas:

1. Chain has jumped over couple camshaft "tooth", meaning your timing, hence pisitioning of piston and valves isn't correct causing it not to start, but this doesn't explain why car is blocking wheels.

2. OTher idea which explains blocking wheels is chain got loose and oil pump didn't do the job, it was ok when you were driving it because engine was hot, this means gaps between parts are bigger ( bigger in micro milimeters), oil flow is easier and this compensates partially lack of oil, etc... When engine got cold, this means all gaps shrinked, so it is much harder to turn over engine and espacially when cranking there is minimum oil supply in fully functioning engine, cranking phase is known as causing the most wear in normal engine working conditions, after it turns over and oil is supplied it creates oil "skin" so to speek and then all goes well. You shold check sliding bearings on cranckshaft and sidewalls of cylinders to inspect if and how bad oil starvation was.

Having in mind that this topic was on July 19-th maybe there is already an answer?

The early 2.2 pre 2006 is cambelt

The early 2.2 pre 2006 is cambelt

really.. interesting

All of 1AD-FTV.. and 2AD-FTV. were chain.

everyday is a school day!

I am going to look into this!

further to that

The actual engine line up from memory is..

1CD-FTV = 1998>2003 September 109HP / 110HP mk1

1CD-FTV = 2003> 2005 September 114HP mk2

1AD 2AD/ -FTV = 2005 September onwards > Current / different torque variants

I am sure they never came in a cambelt format.

I have looked into this, no where lists a cambelt for the 2.2 avensis, to my knowledge all ad engines were chain driven

• 2 weeks later...

Zak

Zak..

Ah i want one of them, priced one up. in Maplins with a wee TV screen n camera for around £100.....be great for looking into the state of pistons and cylinders rather than my present approach which involves shining a torch down the spark plug hole to see what state the insides like lol

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links