Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Sound Proofing Of Rear Doors

GowerMick

Having just upgraded from an Aygo Fire (2012) to an Aygo x-clusiv (2015), I've noticed that the rear doors now sound rather tinny.

Is this usual, or have they forgotten to install soundproofing panels inside the doors?

Mike

PS Whoops - Topic should read 'Sound Proofing of Rear Doors'

I have an X-Clusive and I can confirm it is very " normal". Compared to the comforting thump of my parter's Audi doors make , closing the Aygo rear doors sounds like you are closing the lid of a biscuit tin.

It's not nice but as I say normal and I did notice it at the dealer and it made me question the overall build quality. M

Maybe it's the lack of a window winder mechanism (and motor) found in most cars that makes the rear doors sound so hollow.

Try not to let it worry you ! The car is quite well built for it's sector.

I'm not 'worried' in the least, I just wondered whether I needed to take it back to get it sorted, or whether I needed to do it myself!

From what you say, it looks like I'll have to pop in to my local 'Halfords' or the like, to get some soundproof matting to stick inside the doors. This should help stiffen up the door panel and stop it sounding so tinny!

Just a shame Toyota is so penny-pinching that they couldn't have done this themselves.

I'll report back if/when I fit the matting.

Mike

As the Aygo is built by the Joint Venture with PSA, no doubt the C1 and 108 are the same.

I have developed a technique whereby I slowly push the door closed rather than giving it a massive twang inducing shove.

So the door closes with a relatively civilised clunk.

It keeps me happy !

Fine, but 5 year old grandchildren are rarely civilised - haha

My x-clusiv's rear doors sound tinny too, so it's probably more to do with the budget the car was made to. It's certainly not built to iQ standards, which is a shame.

My x-clusiv's rear doors sound tinny too, so it's probably more to do with the budget the car was made to. It's certainly not built to iQ standards, which is a shame.

Well, after 6 months I’m happy to report nothing has fallen off my Aygo yet. So it depends on what you mean by build quality. If it passes a crash test then it’s build properly. If you mean quality of fixtures and fittings I admit you do notice immediately that the finish of the plastic in the Aygo is not as nice as the iQ. There are some niggly economy shortcuts, window buttons not illuminated for example. But the iQ is (was) also significantly more expensive

The clanging rear door is a “feature” of its design I would guess (no winder or motor) and if you have been conditioned by VAG advertising to equate the thud of a door with “quality” then you will think it shoddily built.

The rear of the Aygo has no metal in its construction only glass and “flimsy” plastic that wobbles alarmingly when you touch it. Is this poor quality or clever weight saving? I go with the latter.

I’m happy with the Aygo. I wanted a new city car, couldn’t get a new iQ so I went with I and can’t honestly say I regret it.

• 3 weeks later...

Just to clarify (belatedly), I realise they are budget cars, with great low running costs, but my new x-clusiv sounds tinny, which I didn't notice on my previous 2012 Aygo Fire.

I am extremely happy with both cars, and the added extras on the x-clusiv have made it worth the change.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links