Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Rear Exhaust Mating Flanges Leaking

rushy45

Hi, Had a new rear exhaust fitted couple of weeks ago on my 2012 1.3 yaris, noticed the last couple of days it sounds loud from cold and drips water from the mating flanges that connect the rear exhaust to the rest of it, stops when it gets hot, does not seem right to drip am I right in thinking they have not sealed it right when fitted, will take it back tomorrow, not had car long but am a bit disappointed with the yaris, did not expect it to be as noisy a car as it is especially the exhaust.. even with the new rear.

• 2 weeks later...

Sounds like they either A) didn't seal it properly with correct gasket/gasket paste (firegum) or B ) Haven't screwed it together tight enough.

My girlfriend bought a 2005 Yaris 3 weeks ago with EXACTLY the same issue that you describe.

A new backbox had been fitted, however they'd welded the new pipe onto an offcut of the old pipe, just after the flanges (So both flanges were old and rusty and the bolt on one side wasn't even tightend properly, causing it to blow.

I fixed it myself and smothered the two mating flanges with firegum gasket sealant. Initially it leaked a tiny bit of water while the gasket set, but now the exhaust is completely silent.

It is literally a 2 minutes job for the Garage to sort that issue out.

tumblr_nsderiw0Dk1s2h83xo1_1280.jpg

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links