Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Toyota Avensis Black Smoke And Loss Of Power

A Rao

Hi,

Thanks for this. I have just noticed something thought let you guys know. When I plug the airflow meter the problem gets worst i.e. more power loss and thick black smoke. So the car drives better when airflow meter is disconnected but the problem does not disappear completely. Not sure why? May be a fault becomes worst when airflow meter is connected. Any thoughts?

It is because.. the ecu is built with standard fail safe settings.

they are more relaxed. go to maplin and get some electrical contact cleaner.

Spray on the MAF / Airflow sensor to clean..

If they are really greasy you can try a cotton budd, and alcohol to clean. but be careful

Hi Guys,

Good news finally! My car is fixed and drives fine now. The problem was the EGR valve. The first mechanic only looked at it superficially but the valve needs cleaning. I went to see other mechanic and he told me the valve was very sticky. The mystery solved. Thanks everybody. Cheers.

• Like 1

Hi Guys,

Good news finally! My car is fixed and drives fine now. The problem was the EGR valve. The first mechanic only looked at it superficially but the valve needs cleaning. I went to see other mechanic and he told me the valve was very sticky. The mystery solved. Thanks everybody. Cheers.

glad you got sorted

I am having identical issues, after looking up on how to clean the EGR Valve i opened it up and boy was it blocked up, had to use a screw driver to get the black muck off, Sprayed WD40 and cleaned it. Put it back whilst wet; firstly the car wouldn't start but then after great determination it eventually started. However its got better but still same issue, will not go up hill, and wants to cut out when start on cold. I did notice a springy thing in there and didn't really touch this as i thought it may break. Could this be sticky and need good cleaning. Help needed as can't afford to take it to mechanic right now.

Yes, if the valve is badly blocked, you'll need to disassemble it and clean it out. There's a procedure earlier in this thread where I detailed it.

• 7 years later...

Can someone help me I have a 2008 model with same problem would of be same issues 

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links