Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Xt4 2.2 Gear Box Help Please

nsp24

My 2,2 Rav 4 2006 started jumping out of 4th gear local Toyota garage said it would be £2000 including doing the clutch if needed £1650 without the clutch. As it had only done it 4 times in 2 weeks and not at all for over a week I risked going away in the caravan. After about 20 miles it would not stay in 4th for long so I just avoided using it. Coming home today it started jumping out of 3rd and 5th so I had to now use 6th then it refused to come out of 6th so I had to give up and call the recovery.

Looks like a new gear box now! what are my options?

its done 65k and has been dealer serviced has anyone else had a gear box do this?

Should I get main dealer to sort it or go to a smaller garage?

Any garage recommendation's near Harrogate, North Yorkshire?

Thanks Nick

Nick

Sorry to hear about your gearbox problems. I lived in Harrogate up to last year and used to use Pannal Motors, just next to Pannal railway station. Reasonable charges and a garage I felt I could trust.

Bryan

Thanks Bryan,

I have already got in contact with a garage in Starbeck near where I live and he's coming to look next week, he's had a look for a replacement gear box but says he wants to have a look at the car first, said its unusual for modern gear boxes to fail like mine has and hopes to be able to repair mine.

Nick

Hope it works out ok. Starbeck, many times have been waiting there for the level crossing to open and there is a great fish and chip shop on the main road. Happy times.

Bryan

• Like 1

I know that hindsight is always 20/20 vision but it looks like you should have taken your dealers offer of repair for a fixed price, even if it was £2,000 with the full clutch. I hope you get a good repair with the independent guy but when you think of all the time and hassle the breakdown caused, how much would you have given to avoid it?

remember the old saying: GOOD....CHEAP....FAST.... Pick any two!

Yes Tom quite right the problem was that it had only done it 4 times and every one I spoke to said it would be fine and if it jumped out just hold it in.

My Toyota garage had not been able to replicate the gear jumping out but said 4th was easier then the rest to push out of gear, I found it quite hard to push out. Also it was the week before we went away and they could not get the parts for me in time as some were out of stock.

I am going to get it fixed and then trade it in for a different make of car. I will update this with the cost!

I understand better about your gearbox now Nick, seems you were a bit unlucky there.

any idea what kind you're going for as a replacement? I considered the RAV4 at one point but the side opening rear door wouldn't work for me (same with the Honda CRV) although they've gone up and over since.

Not sure yet tempted with the Kia Sorrento as its got a good towing weight also the Freelander 2. Was Planning to change next year as I have some cash coming in so if I can get a good repair done I might weight until then.