Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Fuel Gauge: 2009 On Avensis

Berengaria

Wondering if there's some sort of alert about low fuel on the 2009 on Avensis?

Might sound like a daft question, but when the fuel level gets down to the last 'block' there's no audible or visual warning. In was expecting there would be: on an Aygo I once drove there was a bleep she the level got to the last block on the gauge, which then started to flash - there would be a gallon (so say 50 miles) left on that car when it did that before running out completely.

Seems to be nothing on the Avensis - don't want to run it down too low on the last block in case I run out of fuel.

Once you get to about 15 or 20 miles to go a yellow light comes on the dash. The amount of fuel you can then squeeze into it is about 2 gals short of the tank size tho, so it still includes a reserve (mine does anyway).

Mine is the same as Alan's too.

Thanks chaps. So are you saying that the warning is initiated when the vehicle calculates that it has about 15 - 20 miles worth of fuel left at the current driving style?

I've looked through my handbook, but there doesn't seem to be any mention of what the low fuel warning actually signifies (i.e. in terms of roughly how long you've got left before running out).

Here is an older thread on the subject:

http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/topic/151518-range-accuracy-on-2011-18-valvematic/

I have found that when the low fuel warning light activates there is still about 10 litres left in the tank. My gauge tends to show lower than the actual content in the tank.

as others have said the "range" doesn't count down to true empty but to a "reserve" that is ~9 or 10 litres. So even when it hits 0 on a diesel you still probably have 80+ miles in hand.

Thanks guys - just read the link and now get the idea.

In future, once I'm down tot he last 'block', I think I'll not worry too much about filling up, but will just do it when the warning light comes on, when it looks like there's at least 35 miles left to run.

Must admit that I'd rather the handbook be clear on this and hope that the warning light is triggered by the amount of fuel remaining, rather than the computer arbitrarily telling you how many miles are left - I don't think this is always a good guide - it might say 20 miles let's say and you're driving like a saint, but then adopt a lead foot driving style a few minutes later to get you to the filling station. The computer then thinks 'if the driver carries on like this, then there's suddenly only 12 miles left'. What if it's more than 12 miles to the filling station?

How can a computer predict what MPG the car is going to do for the remaining range when it cannot predict the driving style and road conditions the car will face?

", rather than the computer arbitrarily telling you how many miles are left - I don't think this is always a good guide - it might say 20 miles let's say and you're driving like a saint, but then adopt a lead foot driving style a few minutes later to get you to the filling station. The computer then thinks 'if the driver carries on like this, then there's suddenly only 12 miles left'. What if it's more than 12 miles to the filling station?

How can a computer predict what MPG the car is going to do for the remaining range when it cannot predict the driving style and road conditions the car will face?"

The computer uses your recent driving/mpg to predict - most people don't drive radically differently. But as I said in the post above even when the range hits "0" you still have 9-10 litres of fuel left in the tank.

Thanks Heidfirst - you posted whilst I was writing mine, so I didn't see your first one!

The fact that it counts down to a reserve of about 9 - 10 litres is good to know, so there doesn't need to be any panic once the last block is reached or the warning light comes on.

No panic, but you don't want to run a diesel dry - it's a pain if you do to get it running again.

Maybe your particular car is different? I've noted how many litres it takes to brim my tank once the "miles to empty" reaches zero, and it's about 2 gallons less than the tank capacity. It seems others have found the same but I personally wouldn't rely on yours being the same, I'd check it.

my 06 avensis fuel light only comes on when it nearly empty on diesel,the reserve in the tank holds a little over a gallon of diesel.i once drove over 40 mile with this light on till i got home,reason i did this as i was working and i got a credit card job[taxi] and it was a account so i didnt see the cash,and i didnt want to go into a petrol station and give my name and fill out forms just to get a gallon or two of diesel,but i made it home and close to a round trip of 50 miles,most of the driving was 5th gear driving.

Mine's a petrol manual. In future, I'll be taking a more relaxed approach when it gets down tot he last block, and not taking any action until the light comes on if I'm out and about in familiar territory in an urban area (i.e. know there's a filling station nearby).

• 5 years later...

Hi! New here and new (for me) Toyota Avensis t27 owner after couble of Mazdas. First thing I'm wondering with this one is fuel light. Should it shine on start check? I have run the fuel gauge many times to last block but never seen the light yet. I just opened the gauge and all components are SMD so there's no way to change any bulb if needed. My worry is annual inspections.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links