Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Heated Oxygen Sensor

Quirky

Hi All

Its me again.......

2003 t4 estate, 2.0vvti manual

Got the Engine light on and bought a code reader which spouted out P0136 Which i believe is heated oxygen sensor bank 1 senor 2. It also says circuit malfunction......

Turned the car off for the night next day no light, but have always had this lack of power and hesitation when cold and under load.

COuple questions,

WHere is bank 1 sensor 2?

Is this sensor causing the problems im having with the car?

And if the light isnt coming back on do i put it down to a strange moment in life?

Anyone got any recommendations on what senor to buy and where if i need one.

Just want to sort this under power niggle out :/ :dontgetit:

Thanks All

Jon

Hi

The problems you`re having are probably caused by faulty O2 sensor. Faulty sensor gives false readings to the ECU, and the air fuel ratio goes wrong, especially under load.

You can find a picture about where is bank 1 sensor 2 here http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/topic/168306-02lambda-sensors/

Then you are going to buy a new sensor, make sure you`re getting one made by Denso. Denso made the original sensors for your car and the other aftermarket sensors would not work. Just google 89465-05120 (the original product code) or DOX-0287 (Denso part number) which is a direct fit Denso sensor. Don`t buy a used one, they might not work for a long time.

• Like 1

This is from Henri's (ents) post regarding O2 sensor location: http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/topic/168306-02lambda-sensors/

$T2eC16hHJG!E9nm3sB1YBQtlT1bWng~~60_35.J

Sorry Henri, It was easy to copy and paste the image for the benefit of some.

It is the best diagram. :thumbsup:

Konrad

This is from Henri's (ents) post regarding O2 sensor location: http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/topic/168306-02lambda-sensors/

Konrad

How did you do that? I tried several times but no luck. Always said something about some file extention not being allowed. But many thanks!

Konrad

How did you do that? I tried several times but no luck. Always said something about some file extention not being allowed. But many thanks!

Henri, You won't believe me. I simply right clicked over the image copy and then paste in the post.

It was luck but I like to try the simple things first, then become work up to difficult things.

Right now I am working from my monster 17" modified laptop which I upgraded to make things faster - double HD one SSD, one huge storage, 12GB ram, Blu-ray and i7 quadcore. I forgot to add Gforce graphics for the games.

Back to cars, where did you grab that image of the O2 sensor layout? It is the best.

Konrad

$T2eC16hHJG%21E9nm3sB1YBQtlT1bWng~~60_35Thats funny, now i can post an image!

• Like 1

$T2eC16hHJG%21E9nm3sB1YBQtlT1bWng~~60_35Thats funny, now i can post an image!

I had a laugh.

Now every time the O2 bank and sensor question comes up, you can post the picture.

Many thanks for your replies.

I did some reading through here and the manual and did a resistance test.......

first thing this morning when cold bank 1 sensor 2 was reading 13.8 and bank 1 sensor 1 was reading about 14.2 (something like that)

Havent used the car today but just now started up for literally 30seconds turned off then did a test again and got something like 16 on bank 1 sensor2. is that normal??

I dont want to spend money on something that has thrown an error code like twice in the past 8 months, but would love to sort this hesitance out etc. Or is it resisting too much at such a temperature??

Would love to see what you guys think

According to Autodata it should be 11-16 at 20C :disgust:

So by the sounds of it my sensors resistance seem to be ok???

Seems to be driving me mad

So by the sounds of it my sensors resistance seem to be ok???

Seems to be driving me mad

I don't have the diagnosis manual in front of me, but I don't think that P0136 has anything to do with the resistance in the heater element. It seems like it is the sensor itself that is giving an incorrect reading:

http://www.carnewscafe.com/2014/10/p0136-resolving-one-common-engine-codes/

• Like 1

I would change the sensor.

That's what I did last year after issues with my sensor. Don't worry about resistance readings. The sensor is not giving the correct data to the ECU. My 02 sensor kept throwing the EML, so I got a nearly new sensor from a scrapped car. A week before the swap, the car took a long time to pass MOT on idle, as it stayed in the fail area after successive revving. Then whilst waiting the emissions switched to pass all of a sudden!

I thought it was the new exhaust and catalytic converter as the car had only done 50+ miles, but when I changed the O2 sensor the cars performance and fuel consumption improved greatly.

This is why I would change the sensor.

• Like 1