Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Strange Bolt, Dashboard Of 02 Rav4

It'sneverogre

Hi everyone. I just bought a Rav4 here in Okinawa, Japan, and I'm updating the stock radio unit to a dual din bluetooth device. (Already searched the forum, the only thing close is a how-to that doesn't address this problem).

In the attached photos, there is an allen bolt with a ball-bearing in the way. How do I remove this? It is free spinning, won't pry off.

post-149552-0-06056100-1438321070_thumb.

post-149552-0-49936100-1438321108_thumb.

can't see the bolts but it will be a security bolt you can buy bits that are drilled to allow removal you can try and drill the correct size allen key yourslef it also maybe a torx bit again you can buy anti tamper bits etc....

Looks to me like a previous owner's home-made security measure on that Allen screw to stop anyone stealing the radio. Are you sure the ball bearing spins round, couldn't it be that you're just slipping round the polished surface?

Have you tried inserting very fine needle nosed pliers or similar in the points that are visible between the Allen screw head and the ball bearing? Maybe get two needles jammed in opposite corners then lock them hard with vice grips and see if you can turn the screw?

it's just a plain and simple security bolts you just need a security bit, they have a hole drilled in them to allow it to fit over what you think is a ballbearing....

@the fox, it is in fact a ball bearing. And because it fills the space where you'd insert an Allen key, what you're thinking of would not work.

This ball bearing is not glued into it, because it spins freely. I think someone jammed it in there, and it fit just like a bearing. Now it won't come out.

Just a thought, have you tried a neodymium magnet to remove the bearing? I've got a couple of them I removed from old computer hard drives and they're very, very strong.

I haven't thought of that. I'll have to see if anyone has any old hard drives at work.

Can't imagine why anyone would have been daft enough to do that. It's not as if the RAV's stereo was a top of the range thief-magnet!

If the ball bearing spins then it should be possible to get it out. Suggestions:

1. Evostick. Apply carefully to the bb - avoid getting it on the inside surfaces of the bolt - then apply some to the end of, say a chopstick. Once it dries, stick 'em together and when it's fully set, say 5 mins or so, pull the bb out with the chopstick.

2. You could try the same approach with some self-adhesive velcro.

3. Have you got one of those magnetic pick-up sticks - the ones with a little torch on the end that is used to retrive nit/bolts/screws/etc from inaccessible places in the engine bay? that maight be strong enough to remove the bb.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links