Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Toyota Avensis T1 T2 Tr Sprit 2.0l -2.2l

Roadrunner13

Hi all,just a couple of questions on the different styles of the Avensis,s,i noticed on auto trader that the t2 models are just the basic models,and the TR has a bit more in them,now what i want to know is,what is the difference between the 2.0L engines and the 2.2L engines,apart from about 231cc,does the 2.2L follow the old style Camry,i am looking for a Toyota Avensis estate diesel,i am a bit unsure if i should go for a 2.2L or a 2.0L engine,i want everything in it,cruise control,alloy wheels sat nav etc etc,could you tell me which ones to aviod and which ones to think strongly on,

thanks in advance...........................Tom

Afaik they are related designs.

the 2.2 has more grunt & in the cars of the age that you are looking for not that much worse fuel consumption (when they facelifted the T27 they made some tweaks to the 2.0 D4D that made a significant difference to at least the official test mpg).

I like the 2.2 but there are not as many about & like for like they will cost you more.

I'm not sure that you could even buy a 2.2 T2 ( I would have to look at past brochures to check). Imo TRs tend to offer the best value for money of the specs. in the range with most of the toys that you really want (unless you want leather but even that in some years was an option for the TR) without the ones that you could really live without.

You say that you want the inbuilt satnav but originally there were TR & TR Satnav trims - it wasn't standard on all TRs. Bear in mind that just updating the maps on the inbuilt satnav will cost you more than a Garmin/Tomtom unit with "lifetime" maps & those also tend to have more up to date maps & are updated more often.

Thanks,so what your saying is the T2 is just the basic model,i noticed looking at some of the 2.0L T2 are just the basics,no alloy wheels,no cruise control,not even a arm rest for the driver,where the TR comes with this as standard,can i ask you what is the T27,is it a make or model number,

never thought about the upgrading of the satnav,s,i suppose when your buying a car you never think about upgrading the toys that it comes with,

(T25, 2003-2008)

250px-Toyota_Avensis_%28II%29_%E2%80%93_

(T27, since 2008)

250px-Toyota_Avensis_front_20090814.jpg

t25 and t27 represents the models, I would go for the 2.0 due to the slightly better fuel economy over the 2.2 and I seem to see more 2.2 suffer from headgaskets than 2.0.

T25 was previous model (2003-2008). It was mildly facelifted in 2006.

T27 is the new shape (2009 on). It was facelifted in 2012, easily identified by the more aggressive front end. There's also a brand new model just released, not sure if it's still called a T27 but probably is.

The T25 came in various specs. The T2 is the basic spec which comes with air con, remote locking, height adj drivers seat etc. The T3s was next and is pretty similar but comes with alloys and a pretty crap sat nav. By the time you get to T3x you get decent kit like auto wipers, climate control, folding mirrors etc.

The T27 still has the T2 base spec, next one up is the TR which is fairly well kitted. After the 2012 facelift it came with sat nav.

As the others have said the T27 is the 2009> model of Avensis.

T2 is base spec. - steel wheels as standard.

As for head gasket problems it really shouldn't be an issue (or at least no more than on any other car) for Avensis produced after February 2009 & it does seem that they did resolve that (there is always the odd one but complaints of it do seem to have dropped drastically) .

In June 2010 Toyota increased the UK warranty from 3 years/60,000 miles to 5 years or 100k miles so if you buy a late 2010 it could still be in official Toyota warranty for the first few months of your ownership (& you may be able to extend that for a fee) as well as any warranty that a dealer may offer.

When you test drive if you are doing so in a car from cold (always recommended) you should be aware that an obstructive gear change into 2nd is quite normal on the 6-speed box - it improves once it warms up.

Thanks lads for the replys,so it will be a avensis 2.0 TR diesel for me,i would like a estate but will settle on a saloon,any other pointers i should look at when buying one,when i go for one i will be looking for one with average milage on it,say 15 to 20,000 miles a year,so 5 years old 100.000 miles, and a record of their services would be handy,i was looking on the auto trader UK and some of them have 160.000 miles which is a bit high for me.

you might want to check the doors by the check straps - there have been a few reports of some cracking there.

Is that all,just the doors,i know my avensis 06 diesel with close to 450,000 km does,nt have them problems,so didnt think the new model would suffer with something like this,but thanks,its great to know what to look out for when viewing a car.

Ok lads,cant make my mind up on either a 2.0D4D TR or a 2.2D4D TR.,there are a right few on auto trader,mostly 2.24D4TR,sand around the 100,000 miles,so what would you recomend lads.

I've seen more problems on here relating to the 2.2, plus quite a few people say they're heavy on fuel...so I'd personally go for the 2.0.

The 2.2 drives better out of town - it has more grunt for overtakes, heavy loads etc.. If you are mainly going to be doing urban taxiing a 2.0 is probably perfectly adequate.

Yes, there appear to be more 2.2s affected by the head gasket issue than 2.0s but that really applies to T25s as Toyota do seem to have resolved it with post February 2009 production (so potentially an issue with a car produced in the first 6 months of T27 production but not really an issue after that).

As for fuel economy, you have to discriminate between the standard 2.2 & those that are D-CATs. I get 42-45mpg in mixed motoring in my standard 2.2 manual Tourer but mainly motorway work will see that go north of 50mpg. A D-CAT will typically be 10-15% worse overall especially the auto which is the worst case scenario - a D-CAT mated with a torque converter auto. There were loads of D-CAT autos in the trade when I was looking.

Where the big difference in mpg between the 2.0 & the standard 2.2 comes is with the facelift where they did some serious tweaking to the 2.0 & found ~15% improvement for it but did nothing to the 2.2.

You might also want to check how they compare for the Irish equivalent of annual vehicle tax.

• Like 1

2.0 over 2.2 due to fuel economy if your doing a lot of mileage. plus you hear less problems on the 2.0

Thanks lads,it will be used for city driving mostly and the odd country job which is rare,when your carrying passengers in your car you need something that can take the weight and can give a bit of power with the weight,diesel is fairly cheap over here at 1.23 euro a litre so not worried about loosing out on a euro or two as it will make up on this as it will be a work horse and family car,the tax on cars being brought into the country [VRT] is not bad either,because of the low c,o emmisions the tax is roughly around 13 to 1800 euro,depending on the year of car,09 or 2010

i`m changing my car this week, to a t4 , a 2.2 or a 2.0, myspirit blew the head, changed by toyota , are the new 2010 one`s better,,, is the 2.0 belt or chain drive

supposedly those Avensis produced after February 2009 are meant to have "fixed" engines. We certainly aren't seeing the nos. of complaints re. headgaskets compared to the earlier ones (& they are now old enough [potentially up to & over 6 years] that we should if there is a problem).

Chain.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links