Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

2001 Avensis Estate 2l Vvt-i Cam Belt Or Timing Chain?

Doodah0784

Hi, can anyone tell me whether my 2001 Avensis Estate 2L VVT-i has a cam belt or timing chain please? I only bought this car last week and have no paperwork apart from the most recent MOT and have seen different answers when searching the internet. I know my last Avensis Estate had a cam belt but I saw a post saying that the VVT-i engines all had a chain so I'm totally confused now? Meant to say its an automatic petrol - not sure if that makes a difference.

all vvti are chain driven,

The Toyota ZZ engine family is a straight-4 piston engine series. The ZZ series uses a die-cast aluminum engine block with aluminum silicon cylinder liners, and aluminum DOHC 4-valve cylinder heads, a first for Toyota.[1] The camshafts are chain-driven. The two 1.8 L members of the family, the 1ZZ and 2ZZ, use different bore and stroke. The former was optimized for economy and torque, while the latter is a "square" design optimized for high-RPM power. The ZZ family replaced the extremely popular cast-iron block 4A engines.

• Like 1

Many thanks, that's a relief because I was a bit worried about driving it in case the belt needed doing urgently :)

• Like 2

Many thanks, that's a relief because I was a bit worried about driving it in case the belt needed doing urgently :)

no problem, keep oil changes regular to aid chain and engine life :driving:

• Like 2

all vvti are chain driven,

Are you sure about that? I think that the 5th generation 3S-GE had VVTi and a cam belt.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links