Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

K&n Induction Kit Problem Can Anybody Help Please

Keithlan1978

Hi guys

I bought a 190 Celica about 10 days ago the previous owner has fitted a K&N induction kit on it and the engine management light was on since he fitted it, I got it home and had it put on a computer which said was the induction kit so I had the fault code removed and the light stayed off for about 70 miles then came back on

Took it to a mate Saturday night who put it back on the computer an erased the fault code again and said its a forced induction kit and it will be absolutely fine (he's a mechanic) but it might keep throwing the eml on due the induction kit

Here is a pic of the fitting I just want to know if anybody can offer any advice and if anybody has had the same problem after having one fitted and if so how did you get round the eml problem?

post-149565-0-06305300-1438633137_thumb.

Any help appreciated

Thanks

post-149565-0-77305600-1438633296_thumb.

A few more pics if needed, there are two pipes you'll noticed that are blanked off

Thanks

Does nobody reply on this forum

Not frequently; We've lost a lot of Celica owners over the years :(

Looks like it's just a short-intake induction kit, no forced-induction mods like a turbo or supercharger.

Shouldn't cause a problem normally, but it's common for amateur installers to damage the MAF sensor when installing these things.

What's the error code?

Thanks for your reply I'm not sure what the error code was as it got cleared but if it comes on again I'll get the code off it but I know it was something to do with the air flow

How much is the maf sensor and is it worth replacing it mate?

Thanks

They're quite expensive, IIRC the one for my Yaris is about £120? Don't know about the Celica...

I'd get the code first - If it's saying it's the MAF (Mass Air Flow) sensor, then I'd think about replacing it. Unfortunately I'm not sure how to test if one is faulty so you're kinda stuck relying on the code being right...

Thanks again for your reply, after driving the car more it seems to be when I boot it an kick the lift in that the eml is coming on so not sure if that makes anymore sense?

Thanks again

It's not your maf, pretty sure of it as it wouldn't be coming on and off, you really could do with providing the code that comes up when connected to a diagnostic machine.

Some gen 7 MAF's are more sensitive to induction kits than others, so some people have CEL's popping up others don't.

Most of the time it's usually a hole that hasn't been bunged up or a wire that hasn't been disconnected properly, It's been 6 years since I did mine, so when I changed to a Injen filter all my vacuum pipes were already disconnected and diverted, so can't fully remember, but I think the K&N instruction are faulty and a vacuum pipe needs to stay and they just blank it off, it's the one that goes from the inlet manifold around to the air injection system I think, but this doesn't always cause a CEL.

Here's a pic of my engine bay when the airbox was removed

Airboxpipes_zps436afd29.jpg

All the pipes circled in red are what come off the standard airbox, these should be fully removed and the blue electrical clip undone (I believe with the K&N you actually get a bracket to stick this clip on out of the way, on the underside in your first picture in your first post by the black plastic pipe coming from the ecu cover)

Ignore the blue circle

The green circle is what K&N get you to remove and put a little rubber bung on the end of the inlet manifold, this is a vacuum pipe connecting to the air injection system for the exhaust emissions, I don't know what they give you for the air injection side as I have never fitted a K&N filter but sometimes this vacuum pipe not being fitted can cause a CEL, but only sometimes.

Read this, it's what i've done and never had a problem with CEL's in 7 years of celica ownership, not everyone does it not everyone knows about it, and most wonder why they have problems with induction kits. It's a lot of work but made my Injen CAI work better

http://www.newcelica.org/forums/showthread.php?t=127862

Thanks for your reply and all the info I really appreciate it, I will have a look in the daylight tomorrow and try an correct it and will also get the fault code

Thanks again

Does nobody reply on this forum

Sadly there is not much of a "Celica club" here.....there are, however, other sites/forums that cater more for the "enthusiast" and offer the sort of help and information you might want.

Neil

Thanks Neil

Whenever I put Celica forum into Google though this is the only one it brings up

Keith

search again.!..for clubs in the "UK".

Neil

If you try and type it on here it used to automatically change it, or sometimes the mods would edit it.

See if it works

Celica - club . co .uk

If you try and type it on here it used to automatically change it, or sometimes the mods would edit it.

See if it works

Celica - club . co .uk

Naughty.!!!!...warning points for you my boy.!! :no: ..at least that's what I got for trying to be helpful...petty or what.? :angry:

Neil ;)

hi the problam is the air flow senser you can try unplunging the flow senser wire that you can see on the pic you put on here or you will need to remap the car ecu or if you buy a obd2 turneing box and that just plugs in to your obd2 port on the car

Thanks everyone for all your replies

I've had it back on the computer today an the fault code is 0410 and it says Secondry air injection malfunction

Does this help at all

Thanks

hi the problam is the air flow senser you can try unplunging the flow senser wire that you can see on the pic you put on here or you will need to remap the car ecu or if you buy a obd2 turneing box and that just plugs in to your obd2 port on the car

You'll find it won't be the air sensor.

Thanks everyone for all your replies

I've had it back on the computer today an the fault code is 0410 and it says Secondry air injection malfunction

Does this help at all

Thanks

Secondary air injection is the pump that pumps air into the exhaust manifold on cold startups to help lower emissions, it's either faulty or the error is coming up because of what I said in a earlier post about the vacuum pipe being plugged up on the inlet manifold.

My engine management light only comes on though when I floor it so the lift kicks in on it would what your saying cause this?

Thanks

My engine management light only comes on though when I floor it so the lift kicks in on it would what your saying cause this?

Thanks

I'm not sure, you could do with fitting a vacuum hose from the inlet manifold to the air injection pump an see how that goes, it's the cheapest option first, then see what happens. Next you would need to test the air injection pump, when the engine is cold after being left overnight, when you start it you should hear a hissing/suction noise from under the engine bay that dissapears after a minute or two, you can hear it go off, if it makes a noise then it's probably still working.

Another idea is just check the previous owner never removed the air injection system off the car in the first place, it's on the front drivers side above radiator (you may need to remove the L-shape engine plastic), see below pic for what it looks like.

The bottom pic with the silver square and black round thing on it, if you look at the top left on the black circle you can see a very small thin pipe sticking up, I'm sure the vacuum pipe goes from the inlet manifold to this little pipe on the air injection, without taking my engine covers off I can't be 100% sure.

Anyway this is what I don't know what's on the K&N instructions to do with the other side of theis pipe.

Try this first and see

11686AirInjection.jpg

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links