Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Snapped Car Key!

Gotacelicaatlast!

I bought my Celica VVTi last year and the only car key for it was dodgy to start with. Now the metal key has snapped completely away from the plastic fob. It still works if I tape it all together. I do have a spare key but this does not have a chip in it, which is not very secure. Does anyone know where I can get a brand new key with a chip/transponder in it. I am fully aware that I have to re-programme the key which I have seen on this site. Thank you.

Hello Jeanette - welcome to Toyota Owners Club

Could try an auto locksmith, who should be able to programme the key, or if you want to programme it yourself, try eBay.

Thanks but I need a whole new key with a chip in it but I don't know where to get it from. I can't see any on eBay and I don't really want to go to a dealership where will be mega expensive.

What does the key look like?

If it's a remote key, the dealer route isn't actually that bad as Toyota are the ONLY people you can get fresh remote keys from, and third party locksmiths would still have to buy the keys from them anyway.

You can get used transponders from eBay, but they are not guaranteed to work and the trial-and-error can quickly end up being much more expensive!

If it's just a non-remote key with a non-remote transponder, pretty much any auto-locksmith can cut and clone it for you.

Does your remote still work.?..if so why not just get a replacement case and key blade...swap the internals over and get the new blade cut at a locksmith...no programming required.

.....I bought one recently just to update my spare as the case was broken.

It was a TOY 43 blade/case..and the eBay item number is 131428919970...cost £2.69.

If your remote doesn't work then I think a visit to Mr. T is inevitable. :(

Neil

• Like 1

Good call, forgot about that option :lol:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-BUTTON-REMOTE-KEY-FOB-CASE-FOR-TOYOTA-YARIS-RAV4-CELICA-PRADO-COROLLA-CAMRY-/380959271415?hash=item58b2f129f7

If it's one of those, you can get the blank cut by any locksmith and then just pop the remote module block out of the old one and put it in the replacement :)

Make absolutely sure the blade is the right one however; Some have 2 grooves, some have 3?

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links