Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Brake Disc Minimum Thickness Query

mpg_junkie

Hi All,

can I just confirm something with the community regarding disc thickness as my dealer told me my discs are close to being done. My discs are 20mm thick, this means they are quite worn, but is the following information I have correct?

starting thickness = 22mm

minimum thickness = 19mm

this would mean my discs are 2/3 worn, but not ready to be changed; is this correct or did I miss something?

thanks,

MPG_Junkie

Only 3mm of wear doesn't seem right to me. Will be interesting to see what others say.

Only 3mm of wear doesn't seem right to me. Will be interesting to see what others say.

If they are ventilated then there isn't a lot of metal behind the friction surface, so 3mm may not be so daft. (Looking at the Haynes for my other car it says the minimum thickness is stamped into the disc. I'd imagine that may be standard as different makes of discs can be put on a car, so manuals aren't much help.)

Minimum thickness on front discs of a french built Current Yaris is 20mm

• Like 1

Minimum thickness on front discs of a french built Current Yaris is 20mm

What thickness are they when new out of interest?

OK, I spoke to someone who works for Toyota yesterday and they told me the details I have been looking for, the starting thickness is 22mm, the minimum service thickness is 20mm.

So this means that the dealer I bought my car from a very short time ago sold me a car with discs that were done (20mm and 20.5mm) despite claiming they do a 101 point check and replace anything more than 70% worn. Are there any honourable people in the car industry left?????

OK, I spoke to someone who works for Toyota yesterday and they told me the details I have been looking for, the starting thickness is 22mm, the minimum service thickness is 20mm.

So this means that the dealer I bought my car from a very short time ago sold me a car with discs that were done (20mm and 20.5mm) despite claiming they do a 101 point check and replace anything more than 70% worn. Are there any honourable people in the car industry left?????

If they believe 19mm is the value then they think discs are only 66% worn, so they were right not to change them.

Now you have different information you need to go back and politely challenge their assumption. Ideally get them to check the value stamped on the discs - hopefully it's visible without removing them. If 20 is the correct value they will likely put new ones on for you without any argument.

This could be as simple as a mechanic making an honest mistake. (That doesn't make it OK but these things happen when humans are involved.)

I spoke to the head service manager at the dealership (very slippery character) who sold me the car and they basically didn't want to know, claiming I could have done anything with the car since it left their forecourt (I did do 10 stages of the Circuit of Ireland.........). They offered me a reduced price on new discs (not pads) but the way they worked it out made it dearer than my local garage. I am shocked that I bought a car with 30k on it for a small fortune and this is their attitude.

• 1 year later...

Hi I've got my first car heard noise from my breaks took it in z  shoes disc drum ect gone had all work dune 400 3 weeks later the drums are full of rust have to go bck  tomrow I don't no any think bout car s but before he had it in all my inside wheels was shinny  silver got disc with red on it on the front not sure if I had disc on the bck as well  how will I no toyota  yaris  2003 automatic  why was the bck ones go rusty as had car 12 months and all was shinny  before it went into garage pls help ?