Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mr2 2zz Conversion - Drive Shaft Too Short :(

rokz_2005

Hi All,

New member here.

Very long story short...

Bought an Mr2 roadster that had already been converted to the 2zz engine by the previous owner.

I took a mate for a spin and launched the car, car took off then heard a bang. After looking at the damage, the drive shaft (knuckle) had popped out of the outer race and hit the engine so hard it made a hole in it - it hit it right on the join where the sum, timing cover and the block meet (weak point surely).

I thought I would get the engine repaired (did a rebuild instead).

Finally got the car out of the garage and drove it for 2 miles, this time I was driving about 5 miles and hour and the same thing happened but did not kill the engine.

Showed this to my mechanic and he says that the knuckle is sitting on the edge of the outer race and needs to go in by about an inch or so. The first drive shaft was destroyed and this was a MR2 roadster replacement drive shaft.

The car was slightly lowered, don't know if that helps.

Few questions

1. Am I using the wrong drive shaft? should it be from a Celica?

2. Or has the engine been mounted incorrectly, too much to the left - creating a gap on the right where the drive shaft has too much movement space?

3. Solution please

- Can i put in a aftermarket hub flange that will push the drive shaft in towards the engine?

- Use a longer compatible drive shaft?

- Use an extender, does it exist?

- Move the engine, would this create a problem on the opposite side?

Please help, Summers going and I haven't had the chance to enjoy it :(

Thanks in advance

• 1 year later...

If Woodsport did conversion it would have been right, suggest you Email them for advice as they know more than Toyota about that conversion.

Dont know how to close the thread but yes. The bridge mount was installed without loosening all the mounts therefore the engine did not realign correctly which allowed the drive shaft to pop out. 

Thread locked.