Transmission Of Choice

LeeRon

Do you prefer manual or automatic transmissions  

26 members have voted

1. 1. Do you prefer manual or automatic transmissions

• Manual Transmission
    • Automatic Transmission
    • CVT

Seems like here in the states, driving a manual transmission is a dying art. Domestic companies are slowly pulling them from their options lists, and even on imports its aften difficult to get them on anything but the base models. I've heard that in Europe and for the rest of the world for that matter, they are still very common, and considered necessary to at least know how to drive. I'd guess that here in the US only perhaps 1 in 5 can actually drive one, let alone either own one or be able to drive it smoothly in real world conditions.

I have a choice of either ATM.

I've always driven manual cars before I got the Sera, my first Auto.

Manuals are great...but with traffic levels increasing on the roads, and the stop start drive to work and back, the auto is much more appreciated.

As far as driving a manual smoothly goes, no two cars have the same clutch biting point, so unless you've been brought up on manuals, or drive them regularly, it's a bit jerky on setting off and changing gear. It's like most things though.....it's just a case of practice. Manual change isn't hard, it's just not automatic. :thumbsup:

Rich

I personally don't know anyone in the UK who drives a auto and i think a manual is so much more fun. Boro - I can see your point with traffic and the manual is more awkward but I'm not gonna give it up for anything!

Last year I done about 2k miles in the states while on holiday with an auto car and it was ok and definetly made life much easier on those long highways and driving on the other side of the road but given the choice I still wouldn't buy one.

i was driving a ford - and i kept stalling my yaris when i started driving it - you need more revs with a petrol than diesel... and the biting point is different too

I had a turbo diesel 306 once as a company car and starting off was easier but the problem was just as it got going I ran out of revs! I like my high(er) reving petrol cars! :D

I'm off to LA in a couple of weeks with work, I've not seen a manual yet in the States! Ever...

And for you Yanks, get this... you have to take your test in a manual car here and in most of Europe. If you don't, you only get a second-grade "Auto-only" driving license.... and you're a Loser! :P

...only get a second-grade "Auto-only" driving license.... and you're a Loser! :P

:lol::lol: Sooo true!

My dad has a Previa auto and goes on about how it beats cars off the lights coz the gear change is quicker then a manual.. did you know he has to change his brake disc's every X miles coz the auto uses them more.

A car should be driven and for that it has to be an manual..

The feeling when you drop a cog and floor it!

CVT?

Contiuously Variable Transmission

The gear ratio changes gradually, instead of having several split ratios. It's pretty slick... but not widely available. Only cars that come to mind are some Honda Civics and the Toyota Prius.

i actually hate autos and concider them the work of the devil!

they do have their advantages and i have been at the helm of so many autos, that they do not appeal to me one bit!

driving just becomes sooooooooooo dull! theres nothing like knocking the stick through the gates from cog to cog!

I also have CVT but since I passed my test in an auto, me thinks I will stick with auto. Coz anything else would be illegal :ph34r: .

My dad has a Previa auto and goes on about how it beats cars off the lights coz the gear change is quicker then a manual.. did you know he has to change his brake disc's every X miles coz the auto uses them more.

It's true, that an automatic will beat a car of the same or similar engine size every time from a standing start.

I've been driving automatics for the last 16 years. I would love to have a go at driving a manual so as to be able to compare the two, but my disability means that someone would have to change the gears for me which some how beats trying to compare them.

As for the changing of the break disc's more frequently on an automatic, this is incorrect. I think your dad must be heavy on the breaking, as I have recently had my brake disc's changed after doing a staggering 95,000 miles on them. The chap who has serviced the car for the last 8 years said that they still had some ware in them, but felt that after 8 years they needed changing even though I could have got a lot more miles out of them.

OK... an auto isn't necessarily any better than a manual from a standing start. No way, not unless it's a relatively high-powered car with a rubbish clutch in the manual spec! A proper driver will always beat an auto with a manual. It's about moving that ton of metal from ZERO to 20mph using as much BHP as you can, without losing it through wheelspin or backing-off/bogging-down and thus not applying the most power you could have. An auto allows immediately good results for anybody from Schuey to my baby sister . But the best will be from a manual and a 'kin good driver.

And autos needing more brake overhauls is probably due to their lack of engine braking when compared to manuals. It's still there, but harder to take advantage of, hence more brakes. Anybody who drives carefully and conservatively can make brake discs last forever - regardless of gearbox.

As my mechanic neighbour says: "Screw engine braking! Takes me ten minutes to change brake pads, but more like ten hours for an engine, gearbox and clutch."

I'd never have an auto unless it was some throbbing torque monster, where I could balance between traction and spin purely on throttle. Even then, you'd still lose out on the joy of heel'n'toe in to the corners...

my 2p ;)

I would only have an auto if I lived in the centre of a busy city and wasnt allowed to leave!

Targa top Supras are only available in automatic.. that could be a good reason to get one!

I drove my m8's Alpha 157 (i think) and it had sequential gearing, so not automatic or real manual. Was nice to drive tho. Altthough u could rag **** out it, or acc fast at standstill

:thumbsup:

cheers, never driven one of those

I think it also depends on the type of car you drive. If you drive a sports or performance car then it has to be manual. If you drive an exec' or limo' then it must be auto. Shopping trollies in my opinion should be CVT or auto.

id go manual everytime, they are just so much more fun :thumbsup:

I've chosen manual - but I have never driven an auto so I have nothing to compare it to! :D

Did for a second consider an auto Yaris but then saw the price and I was like "Ahhh no thanks!"

I'm happy enough in my ickle 1.3 manual! :D

A proper driver will always beat an auto with a manual. It's about moving that ton of metal from ZERO to 20mph using as much BHP as you can, without losing it through wheelspin or backing-off/bogging-down and thus not applying the most power you could have. An auto allows immediately good results for anybody from Schuey to my baby sister . But the best will be from a manual and a 'kin good driver.

Can't be many 'kin good drivers about on the roads then, just lots that think they are as me and my auto beat manual cars of a similar engine size from a standing start 99 times out of 100.

Anybody who drives carefully and conservatively can make brake discs last forever - regardless of gearbox.

That's me, i'm always reading the road a head and in some cases behind me and adjust my speed accordingly :thumbsup:

I learnt to drive in a manual last year and have only every driven manual since..the clutch doesnt scare me and I think manuals are better all round compared to auto's IMHO