Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Yorkshire Newbie: Hi - What To Look For When Buying A Yaris?

Wayne2015

Hi everyone

Looking for my first ever Yaris :driving:

My budget will stretch to a Mk2

Prefer manual 1.3 - but unsure which model???

I have seen the 1.3 SR and 1.3 TR/3 etc?

What are the main difference and pros/cons?

Most important what should I look for on inspection?

Is there a CAR FOR SALE section on here? :help:

Many thanks in advance

Hello Wayne - welcome to Toyota Owners Club

The Honest John review will be a reasonable place to start as regards model differences (model history) and problem areas (Good & Bad) - http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/toyota/yaris-2006/

There is a For Sale section on Toyota Owners Club which covers cars for sale as well as accessories, etc - http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/forum/23-for-sale/

• Like 1

Hello Wayne - welcome to Toyota Owners Club

The Honest John review will be a reasonable place to start as regards model differences (model history) and problem areas (Good & Bad) - http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/toyota/yaris-2006/

There is a For Sale section on Toyota Owners Club which covers cars for sale as well as accessories, etc - http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/forum/23-for-sale/

Cheers Frosty :)

Already checked out HJ - is the D4-D that worrying?

Plus never knew the Yaris would have a ventilation drain issues too - is it easy to unblock daily?

2008 1.3 SR is what I am looking at now - interesting to read £500 wiring loom replacement - argggh!

And 2009 models had no air-con to bring down emissions :(

Also, is the later models start/stop technology came about in 2009?

Are they reliable?

Thanks again :)

I've had two Auris with the stop/start system - a 2009 and a 2012 - which uses the same engine, transmission, etc. Not had an issue with either. With the stop/start system there are a few variables which dictate whether or not the system operates (ambient temperature, electrical load on the car, etc) - just be aware of these rather than expecting the system to operate all the time.

Think the only second generation Yaris to be wary of is the 'automatic option' - Multi Mode Transmission (MMT) - which is a manual gearbox with an automated clutch. As with most of this type of transmission, these can be expensive to repair if faults occur.

I've had two Auris with the stop/start system - a 2009 and a 2012 - which uses the same engine, transmission, etc. Not had an issue with either. With the stop/start system there are a few variables which dictate whether or not the system operates (ambient temperature, electrical load on the car, etc) - just be aware of these rather than expecting the system to operate all the time.

Think the only second generation Yaris to be wary of is the 'automatic option' - Multi Mode Transmission (MMT) - which is a manual gearbox with an automated clutch. As with most of this type of transmission, these can be expensive to repair if faults occur.

Thanks again, bud!

I have already discounted the auto version.

And also the diesel due to problems (plus not a fan of diesels).

Just need to finalise which model of the 1.33 petrol to go for...

Then start the mad shopping :-)

We have two Yaris 1.4 D4-D, my wife and myself 58 plate and 59 plate. Been really good cars, returning 57-62 mpg regularly. And now diesel is cheaper then petrol, the way it should have been for years. The torque on a diesel makes it an easier car to drive then a petrol, and the acceleration is extremely good - check out the 0-62 figure.

• Like 1

The D4D diesel actually has very few problems except ones caused by it being used only for short/urban journeys (EGR/throttle body soot, etc.). It's been the most bullet-proof of the Toyota diesel engines so far.

IMHO it's easily the nicest engine in the range - The strong torque makes it very easy and pleasant to drive and it has a surprisingly wide rev-range for a diesel. The fact that the engine design is a good 10+ years old, yet can still match or even beat modern hybrids is a testament to its design. I love the mid-range acceleration on my Mk1; Want to overtake? Just floor it and I jump from 63 to 70 in a second. That variable turbo is awesome :D

That said, it is probably the least refined engine of the diesels of that era; Very clattery. So if you don't like diesel clatter, that will annoy you.

I will say this engine made me a diesel convert; Before that I'd ever have considered a diesel, but now that I have one it's hard to go back (Petrol engines feel soooo gutless when you're used to driving a diesel engine! The only thing that can save me is a hybrid or electric but... they're all automatic... :sick: )

The 1.3's are pretty nice too tho'; They are pretty close to the diesel, just without the high mpgs. Also tend to be a good chunk cheaper to buy which is a nice plus. One caveat - The 1.33 has better mpg, but from what people have said here it's not as nice an engine as the 1.3 and apparently feels less powerful, so check that.
The 1.0 is also a very capable engine; I wouldn't recommend it so much if you're going to be on fast roads a lot, but for purely urban driving it's a nippy little unit and is up there with the D4D for economy.

Both the petrol options are super reliable too.

• Like 1

The D4D diesel actually has very few problems except ones caused by it being used only for short/urban journeys (EGR/throttle body soot, etc.). It's been the most bullet-proof of the Toyota diesel engines so far.

IMHO it's easily the nicest engine in the range - The strong torque makes it very easy and pleasant to drive and it has a surprisingly wide rev-range for a diesel. The fact that the engine design is a good 10+ years old, yet can still match or even beat modern hybrids is a testament to its design. I love the mid-range acceleration on my Mk1; Want to overtake? Just floor it and I jump from 63 to 70 in a second. That variable turbo is awesome :D

That said, it is probably the least refined engine of the diesels of that era; Very clattery. So if you don't like diesel clatter, that will annoy you.

I will say this engine made me a diesel convert; Before that I'd ever have considered a diesel, but now that I have one it's hard to go back (Petrol engines feel soooo gutless when you're used to driving a diesel engine! The only thing that can save me is a hybrid or electric but... they're all automatic... :sick: )

The 1.3's are pretty nice too tho'; They are pretty close to the diesel, just without the high mpgs. Also tend to be a good chunk cheaper to buy which is a nice plus. One caveat - The 1.33 has better mpg, but from what people have said here it's not as nice an engine as the 1.3 and apparently feels less powerful, so check that.

The 1.0 is also a very capable engine; I wouldn't recommend it so much if you're going to be on fast roads a lot, but for purely urban driving it's a nippy little unit and is up there with the D4D for economy.

Both the petrol options are super reliable too.

Cheers Cyker

I do prefer the diesel for financial reasons - but I do really really hate the clatter.

Had a Skoda DSG - and didn't even like that, considering the DSG auto is suppose to be very good,

Cool - Will do more research on the 1.3 vs 1.333

I didn't know there was a 1.3 and a 1.333 - thought they were the same engine???

If you found the Skoda diesel clatter annoying, the D4D probably won't be for you. It's not only clattery at idle but is also very sensitive to fuel; I normally use sainsburys diesel (Closest, cheapest) and it's clattery. Occasionally I put in V-Power diesel which is a lot quieter and smoother, but once I put in Esso diesel and the engine was so clattery even my mates were commenting and making tractor jokes :lol:

Yeah, the 1.3 vs 1.33 thing is a bit weird. I'm hoping a few members who've had both can chip in with some differences. IIRC the main way to tell which one the car has is the 1.3 has 5 gears while the 1.33 has 6?

• Like 1

The original 1.3 engine (86bhp) was carried over from the first generation Yaris.

In the second generation Yaris this engine was replaced from February 2009 with the new 1.33 (1329cc - 100bhp) engine, which also incorporated Toyota's Optimal Drive enhancements - including the stop/start system and a six speed gearbox.

The third generation Yaris of 2011 onwards retained the 1.33 engine, but Toyota discontinued the stop/start system on the Yaris due to cost.

• Like 1

The original 1.3 engine (86bhp) was carried over from the first generation Yaris.

In the second generation Yaris this engine was replaced from February 2009 with the new 1.33 (1329cc - 100bhp) engine, which also incorporated Toyota's Optimal Drive enhancements - including the stop/start system and a six speed gearbox.

The third generation Yaris of 2011 onwards retained the 1.33 engine, but Toyota discontinued the stop/start system on the Yaris due to cost.

I like the sound of 100bhp

Unfortunately I think my budget will not stretch to 2009 years :(

I was told it was due to customer feedback and people not liking it (can't see cost issues if it were already in the previous gen), but then I was surprised to find SS in the 2014 Auris I've just been given as a courtesy car this morning...... So who knows.

When stop/start was introduced in the second generation Yaris, think it was the only mainstream supermini to have it, aside from economy versions (eg Bluemotion, etc). When the third generation Yaris came out, Toyota did cite cost as the reason behind dropping stop/start from the new range.

However the Auris 1.33 has always had stop/start as standard and I think the new 1.2T continues the same theme - though don't know whether it is the same system.

• Like 1

Thanks for all the replies, folks :)

Had a state of panic due to HJs pros/cons and started to look at the Mazda2 instead....

But didn't like the Mazda2 clutch ...so back on the Yaris now :)

Up my budget to consider 2009+ models...

So ref FrostyBalls comments with Mk3 with no start/stop -

Does that mean the Mk3 s are less efficient (mpg) and more tax (road) than the Mk2 s (or start/stop) versions???

Rather than going by the official EU consumption figures, which aren't real world, have a look at Honest John's Real mpg pages -

http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/realmpg/toyota/yaris-2006

http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/realmpg/toyota/yaris-and-yaris-hybrid-2011

According to Parkers the VED bands for the Yaris 1.3/1.33 are:

2nd generation 1.3 - band F

2nd generation 1.33 - band C

3rd generation 1.33 (2011/13) - band D

• Like 1

Rather than going by the official EU consumption figures, which aren't real world, have a look at Honest John's Real mpg pages -

Tbh the honest john MPG I'd take with a pinch of salt, it'll be as good or bad as people make it up to be.

Fuelly.com however is a better bet IMO, as although there is some rubbish on there, you can actually look at individual fuel ups to see how accurate and believable a vehicles MPG actually is.

I can't say that any of that is typical of our 2014 1.33 Yaris Trend. So unless things have changed it might just be some bloke having regrets and just venting about it.

Equally if coming from a high powered car then it's going to feel underpowered etc.

They equally wouldn't be selling as well as they are if this is a real issue across the board 😉

• Like 1

Tbh the honest john MPG I'd take with a pinch of salt, it'll be as good or bad as people make it up to be.

Fuelly.com however is a better bet IMO, as although there is some rubbish on there, you can actually look at individual fuel ups to see how accurate and believable a vehicles MPG actually is.

With any site that is reliant on owner input, the information is only as accurate as the data provided. Either site will probably give a better impression of fuel consumption rather than just relying on the official EU consumption figures, and given the variances in how people drive, typical journeys, etc, an impression is all that can be obtained.

• Like 1

OK

Seen a nice 1.33 petrol manual with start/stop.

Will arrange test drive and report back.

If not like I think I moving back to the Mazda2 1.5....

There s a cheap 2012 mk3 on AT now...but that's waaay past even my new budget :( :( :(

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201505063220039?atcide=emc-cars-DEC004

Can anyone confirm when Toyota started to offer 5 years warranty?

And to how many miles?

Thanks

Can anyone confirm when Toyota started to offer 5 years warranty?

And to how many miles?

Thanks

I'd just advise checking the toyota UK website. It's all on there and changed a fair bit at different times over about 2 years from memory regarding age and mileage limits.

• Like 1

The Toyota five year/100,000 mile new car warranty was introduced by Toyota GB on cars first registered on or after 1st June 2010. Other European countries retained the Toyota 3 year/100,000km new car warranty.

• Like 1

OK

There s a cheap 2012 mk3 on AT now...but that's waaay past even my new budget :( :( :(

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201505063220039?atcide=emc-cars-DEC004

Cheaper (I think) http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201508166104519?model=yaris&make=toyota&search-target=usedcars&onesearchad=used%2Cnearlynew%2Cnew&keywords=1.33&postcode=ss93bs&sort=default&radius=1500&page=1&channel=cars&maximum-age=up_to_4_years_old&logcode=p and a private seller so negotiate ??

• Like 1

Nice one!

Just need to find another few £1k s :(

Would a mk3 with £110 tax and 52mpg outweigh a cheaper mk2 with start/stop £30 tax + 54mpg?

What would others go for???

OK

There s a cheap 2012 mk3 on AT now...but that's waaay past even my new budget :( :( :(http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201505063220039?atcide=emc-cars-DEC004

Cheaper (I think) http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201508166104519?model=yaris&make=toyota&search-target=usedcars&onesearchad=used,nearlynew,new&keywords=1.33&postcode=ss93bs&sort=default&radius=1500&page=1&channel=cars&maximum-age=up_to_4_years_old&logcode=p and a private seller so negotiate ??

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links