Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Yorkshire Newbie: Hi - What To Look For When Buying A Yaris?

Wayne2015

Well the MPG is only 2 different, and tax is a general vehicle running cost, £80 a year difference, but then a SS Battery is about 4 times the cost of a normal Battery usually when replacement is required.

Over all the mk3 will be better on fuel I'd have said as its only 2 worse without SS, yet a car with SS doing a journey where it doesn't need to kick in will I'd have thought be using more fuel over the same journey (not sure if any of that makes sense).

The other thing you need to consider is that the mk2 and mk3 are very different cars, so I'd choose upon what you prefer. We've got a mk3, but budget permitted. If my budget was mk2 teritory but I tried to push for the cheapest mk3 I think I'd be disappointed.

Personally I'd go for the newest T-spirit mk2 you can afford.

Cheers bud :)

I have stretched my initial budget from £2k (mk1) to just over £3k (mk2) now.

Don't really want to over stretch anymore...

But a mk3 £4.5k with park sensor/nav is very tempting!!!!

What is SS?

Kick in????

Well the MPG is only 2 different, and tax is a general vehicle running cost, £80 a year difference, but then a SS battery is about 4 times the cost of a normal battery usually when replacement is required.

Over all the mk3 will be better on fuel I'd have said as its only 2 worse without SS, yet a car with SS doing a journey where it doesn't need to kick in will I'd have thought be using more fuel over the same journey (not sure if any of that makes sense).

The other thing you need to consider is that the mk2 and mk3 are very different cars, so I'd choose upon what you prefer. We've got a mk3, but budget permitted. If my budget was mk2 teritory but I tried to push for the cheapest mk3 I think I'd be disappointed.

Personally I'd go for the newest T-spirit mk2 you can afford.

Prior to purchasing our MK3 Yaris last year, my wife had a 2003 T3 1.0ltr for 9+ years and if the truth be told she'd still be happy to have that now.

Now I know your budget a MK3 is well out of it... Drive a Mk1 and a MK2 and decide from there.

SS - Start/Stop

Cool

I looking at a mk2 with SS already

How much are they?

And mk3 more reliable than Mk2 (as mk2 NOT as reliable as mk1 :( )???

No wonder didn't spot this earlier....

....it's only 3 doors :(

OK

Seen a nice 1.33 petrol manual with start/stop.

Will arrange test drive and report back.

If not like I think I moving back to the Mazda2 1.5....

There s a cheap 2012 mk3 on AT now...but that's waaay past even my new budget :( :( :(http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201505063220039?atcide=emc-cars-DEC004

Cheaper (I think) http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201508166104519?model=yaris&make=toyota&search-target=usedcars&onesearchad=used,nearlynew,new&keywords=1.33&postcode=ss93bs&sort=default&radius=1500&page=1&channel=cars&maximum-age=up_to_4_years_old&logcode=p and a private seller so negotiate ??

Right found the ideal car - ticked all the boxes...

2011 Mk2

T-spirit 1.33

Start/Stop

6 speed

Petrol

Manual

SatNav

Parking sensors

Will test drive tomorrow and see if a deal could be struck...

Does anyone know anything about how to upgrade the satnav maps?

- CD? USB?

- Dealer /eBay?

- Costs?

- Latest version?

Thanks all :thumbsup:

Thats why i dont look for a car with built in sat nav - costs too much to upgrade.

You can buy a quality TomTom/Garmin for less then £100 with life time map upgrades free (4 a year in the case of TomTom), and you can take it out of the car and walk around with it when you visiting a city you not been to before.

Thats why i dont look for a car with built in sat nav - costs too much to upgrade.

You can buy a quality TomTom/Garmin for less then £100 with life time map upgrades free (4 a year in the case of TomTom), and you can take it out of the car and walk around with it when you visiting a city you not been to before.

I agree

But I am just too old skool (or too naive) and prefer the built-in ones instead.

No need to phaff around with wiring etc or using the mobile phone satnav which is too small to read...

Having said that I think the built-in one in the Yaris I seeing is the SMALLER screen one :eek::fear::crybaby:

Right

Had my test drive!

TomTom screen is teeny isn't it in the dash - and quality of map resolution is so-so :eek:

Yaris was nice - lots of rusty bolts and bits though... :jawdrop::jawdrop:

Air con not cold

Couldn't work out if start/stop was on or off (ECO OFF on dash stayed lit) - so couldn't test the common HIGH REVs when changing gear

Gear box notchy/crutchy in first and 2nd ... :crutchy:

I walked away...

Thing to bear in mind with the stop/start system that Toyota offer, is that there are a number of variables that affect operation - so it may not operate at times one expects.

These include the engine being sufficiently warmed up, the Battery having sufficient charge, there not being a high electrical load on the car's system (eg. air conditioning being used to bring down a high interior temperature, heated rear window and heater being used to demist the car), etc.

Could the salesperson have pressed the ECO switch to disable the stop/start system during the test drive?

Thing to bear in mind with the stop/start system that Toyota offer, is that there are a number of variables that affect operation - so it may not operate at times one expects.

These include the engine being sufficiently warmed up, the battery having sufficient charge, there not being a high electrical load on the car's system (eg. air conditioning being used to bring down a high interior temperature, heated rear window and heater being used to demist the car), etc.

Could the salesperson have pressed the ECO switch to disable the stop/start system during the test drive?

Salesman didn't know neither - lol

Pressed start/stop button (by handbrake) - ECO OFF stayed on.

We stop, restart car - stayed on ECHO OFF.....then it went off :)

Car was warm (after 30mins test drive).

Stopped car, engine went dead and rev at 0 :)

Then tried it again and rev stayed at 500rpm.....

Air con was off - as not working (not cold).

I guess maybe u right, maybe other factors affected it.

I wasn't that bother as still got 8months Toyota warranty on it :)

But notchy gear change and wouldn't budge from asking price killed it .....

Funny thing I couldn't tell difference between driving this 1.33 and a 1.0 I drove last week - eek!

Back to Sq 1 for me then......

Go for the 1.4 diesel is my advice. Its not noisy at all, its very smooth in fact. Sure you may get a bit noisier on startup from cold but as soon as you drive away its no problem. Plenty of pull in the diesel too. If you not driven one go and have a test drive. I would stick to a 59 plate six speed box, plenty of low down torque, very nippy, fuel efficient, diesel cheaper then petrol at the moment, £20 road tax with the 6 speed box on 59 plate.

• Like 1

Thanks for all help / advice past couple of weeks...

I may now consider a Kia Pacanto instead as with similar money to a private seller of mk3 YARIS - I get a dealer Pacanto AND 5 years Kia remaining warranty.

Screenshot_2015-08-24-14-02-43_zpsa3xemn

But...never say no, as the YARIS is still the best car driven ref the clutch! :)

I am back! :)

Not sure about the Picanto now as many said KIA repair/servicing is rubbish :(

OK

Looks dodgy?

Seller needs to emigrate???

Screenshot_2015-08-28-10-57-33_zpswgz6rt

Does seem a bit cheap, although it could be a genuine bargain, they do exist (occasionally).

Needs a full HPi check though.

• Like 1

Will see thanks :)

Budget up to £6k now.
Stretched to mk3 - but deffo NOT going any further! Eeek!

Quite a few 6k T-spirit on the market now :)

Shall I buy now?
Or wait til Sept?

What's the best colour?

Realised mk2 spirit tom-tom not to my liking.
So mk3 6.1" satnav better :) easy to update maps?

Mk3 came with standard Bluetooth/dab/rear camera /6.1 touch screen

T-spirit came with sat nav?
- glass roof?
- contactless door entry?
- push start?
- heated front windscreen?

Does the rear camera also have sensors that beep at u???

Is it worth joining the Toyota Dealer Club?

Can anyone buy Toyota Dealers Breakdown Recovery and how much?

Cheers

Thanks all

The Picanto would have been a fair bit smaller than the Yaris - being in the city car class, it's Toyota equivalent would be the Aygo.

Toyota Roadside Assistance is priced at £68 (annual direct debit), £72 (credit/debit card) or £6 per month (monthly direct debit), and is a Which? Best Buy - see: https://www.toyota.co.uk/caring-for-your-toyota/owners/roadside-assistance.json

• Like 1

Confused!

1. Posted today and lost the post (ref breakdown - but looking above Frosty has replied ref breakdown, so where has my post gone too)?

2. Tried to re-post ref breakdown, then my laptop died

3. Now back again and .....

The Picanto would have been a fair bit smaller than the Yaris - being in the city car class, it's Toyota equivalent would be the Aygo.

Toyota Roadside Assistance is priced at £68 (annual direct debit), £72 (credit/debit card) or £6 per month (monthly direct debit), and is a Which? Best Buy - see: https://www.toyota.co.uk/caring-for-your-toyota/owners/roadside-assistance.json

So any UK Toyota eligible?

Thats bloody cheap - so does everyone on here with a Toyota joined that scheme???

So any UK Toyota eligible?

Thats !Removed! cheap - so does everyone on here with a Toyota joined that scheme???

First time I see a auto-filtering of naughty words :gora:

Wait....

Ah I see - Frosty merged my last 3 replies????

OK :)

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links