Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Toyota Corolla Peeling Its Paint?

kr236rk

Hi,

Noticed a small amount of peeling 'Toyota Silver' paint on the hood of my grey-silver GS. Can I - or how can I - carry out a DIY repair please?

Many thanks

;)

Silver is said to be one of the worst colours to match.

You can do it yourself ,but as you have no experience of spray painting I doubt you will be happy with the results.

Obviously a paint shop will do it, but at a price; one of the mobile paint and dent services might be able to do it cheaper.

However , would suggest you first get it assessed, as 'peeling' paint makes me think it might have been resprayed without proper preparation, so you might have a problem bigger than the patch you can currently see.

I had a similar problem with my bumper /valance where the paint came off in sheets when going though a car wash - and that had been done by the insurance company repairers after a crash !!

Don't want to alarm you, but you have checked the vin numbers with the dvla and mot forms , wrong milage and peeling paint - the car is genuine ?

You did a HPI or similar check ?

Edit - can you post a pic of the peeling paint - difficult to know exactly what its really like - no signs of rust ?

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks. I inherited the car from new. I did pick up a repair kit but have lost it in a recent move, probably in a packing case in the garage somewhere. Will post a picture of the bonnet. I don't mind what it looks like so much as, I want to get in there before Mr Rust decides to take a hand! ;)

• 4 weeks later...

here's the flaking bonnet

Toyota%20Corolla%20paint%20flaking_zpskv

I have a repair kit from Halfords but I have no idea if the 'Toyota Silver Steel Metallic' matches the silver of my Corolla. It's a kit with 3 retouch bottles in it. Halfords said if I forward them the paint code for this car they could mix up a match on site. I found an aluminium plaque under the bonnet which had this code on it.

Please advise.

On the plaque under the bonnet or , as on mine, on the passenger door pillar, you will see something like the pic shows, where the paint colour code is clearly shown.

For that size of damage a standard touch up kit should be all thats required, no need to have a large can mixed up.

The catch is that touching up silver panels ,even with the correct colour, can look rather messy, but its the lesser of two evils, as you say you do not want rust to set in.

If there are lots of patches, and possibly the problem is more underlying than stone chips, then the long term solution is to have the bonnet prepared and resprayed, but thats a costly exercise.

post-95973-0-26592400-1443601005_thumb.j

Thanks, what do you suggest then please - carry on with the retouch kit or ask for a (small?) colour match from Halfords? As I say, I have located the colour code on that plaque.

Thanks, what do you suggest then please - carry on with the retouch kit or ask for a (small?) colour match from Halfords? As I say, I have located the colour code on that plaque.

Bit puzzled by your reply there ?

1. The key information is what is the actual paint code on your Toyota plate ?

eg 040 = White,, 3N8 = Red metalic, etc etc

2. For that size repair a touch up kit is all your need, a paint tin or spray can is not suitable for such small areas.

3. Just to confuse things, you say you have got the Halfords 'Toyota Silver Steel Metallic' touch up kit, however if I look on their web site under that colour they say Silver Steel is code 1C0 , which its not .

Why, because my car is 1C0 , " silver metalic " and not the blue /steel of what your car looks like.

Thats why you must go by that Toyota code,

To avoid any problem simply take that paint code to your Toyota Dealer or the online store ( under car care ) and get thier touch up paint kit.

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/ToyotaOfficialStore/Car-Care-Cleaning-/_i.html?rt=nc&_fsub=4563076012&_sid=1173390832&_trksid=p4634.c0.m14.l1581&_pgn=3

4. Have to ask, looking at your photo of the painted area, there does not seem to be any "gloss" to the paint, it looks almost like a flat paint before the laquer is applied or is it just an effect of your camera ??

Edit -

Not exactly a pantone match, but this photo shows my 1C0 silver metalic.

post-95973-0-19906100-1443635292_thumb.j

Thanks,

This looks like the colour code? '199'.

colour-code-low-OK_zpsecprpv9a.jpg

Picked up the Halfords retouch kit several years ago but never had the time to use it. At that time Halfords had discontinued their paint matching service so I came away with the 'off the peg' kit. They've obviously started that service again but as you say, i don't need a gallon of paint for that small area.

How does my 199 match up to the information you have please? It's not a gloss-shiny silver, more a sheen-grey silver.

Thanks again :)

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links