Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Rearside Passenger Window Falling Down Overnight / Randomly

jono987

Hey everyone, i have a problem with my rearside passenger door window and was wondering if anyone could help.

A while ago someone hit the left rearside of my car and it needed a new door etc. The bloke who did it got a second hand door i believe and fitted it / resprayed etc. Afterwards it looked as good as new however the door never opened from the inside. The electric windows all worked fine.

Recently when getting into my car for work in a morning the window has been down. Sometimes its all the way down, sometimes half way and this morning only a little. Also while driving to work the window randomly went down on the motorway, it sounded as if someone had used the electric controls to lower the window.

The window still raises and lowers fine with the controls from the front. Does this sound like an expensive fix / new door? It was quite a while since i had the work done so i guess ill have to pay again :/

It sounds like some wires are shorting and causing the window motor to run or it could also be an internal fault to the motor/regulator circuits.

Sound like a job for an auto electrician if you are not into that kind of thing.

As its a rear window do you actually use it much ( a car full of kids ? ) , if not you could simply disconnect the motor, ensuring there is no loose/bare wires around causing the problem.

The door card comes off with some gentle prising with a screwdriver after unscrewing the handles etc.

The Haynes manuall from Halfords etc details how to get into the door and motor assembly.

Hi thanks for the reply! To be honest no the window is not used a lot and that sounds like a perfect fix for the time being.

I will take the door off tomorrow and have a look.

I wonder if this could be linked to the fact that the door does not open from the inside? I always assumed it would be some child lock setting and never bothered to investigate it.

You only have to take the door cover /card off, not the whole door :)

The Toyota Handbook shows you the child proof lock details, typically a small metal lever on the rear inside edge of the door.

If you disconnect the electric connections and it is not dropping then it could be a faulty connection or maybe the wires could be earthing? keep your door card off till you find the problem save pulling on and off.

Thanks guys will take it off tomorrow and have a look!

A good way to check if parts are faulty is to take ones that you know are working from the other side, only you won't be able to screw them to the door just leave loose or tape up. It will let you check the parts with out having to buy parts you don't need good luck.

Just a thought - when the door was replaced, was the plastic membrane between the door card and the door damaged or cut, which could be letting damp onto the window controls and shorting them.

Have you also tried applying the window lock switch located on the driver's door (which should isolate the other windows and prevent them from being opened) during your journeys and overnight to see whether this prevents the problem.

The horizontal trim on the door actually fell off yesterday, after looking at it it dosent look perfect and is coming away a bit in places. I will go out and isolate the windows now and report back, thank you.

Have just isolated the windows from the front. Its actually going into the garage tomorrow for a service which i forgot about so im going to ask the garage to take a quick look.

The horizontal plastic trim under the window is still not on correctly, it comes up at one side. It was a second hand door that was put on and not a brand new one

Hi all, took it to my local family used garage. They had it for a while, managed to fix the door for me (faulty child lock wire) but couldnt find a problem with the door. Not sure if the same faulty wire may have caused it. Have had the windows isolated since and the window has stayed up, thanks for the help :)

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links