Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Toyota Service Plan And Main Dealer Servicing

sammoj

but after going down a very long steep hill, like some found in Scotland for example, and the battery maxes out, it reverts to normal braking which is a good time to select "B" mode on the transmission

The hybrid system will automatically engage B mode when the HV Battery is maxed out.

Ah, thanks for the update. I've only experienced a maxed out Battery in a Gen 1 Prius (some 10 years ago) and it certainly didn't then.

I've never experienced a full HV Battery in any of the Gen 2 or 3 Prius I've driven (yet!).

I would have thought hybrids would be able to use friction on the rear when using regen on the front.

They can, in conjunction with the front.

But regain along will be used when it can be, as this recovers the most conettic energy possible rather than letting it just waste away as heat like most cars do.

Rather than blaming Toyota, blame the garage. I'd be seriously looking to take it elsewhere even if it is 50 miles away.

At the least, find a local independent to check the rear brakes. It should be something they can look at even though it is a hybrid (the brake system operation is different to normal and requires the brake system to be configured for servicing via the ECU).

The biggest problem with brakes on hybrids is the infrequency they are used. It seems it is a good idea to do some heavy braking occasionally to get the brakes working. On my Yaris, it is quite noticeable when the hydraulic brakes apply (there is a sudden yet slight increase in deceleration - I can also hear the pump operating).

Try some firm stops from 60 MPH by braking hard enough that you feel the hydraulic brakes apply. I suggest doing this two or three times in succession in order to get some heat into them. Beware other traffic, find a quiet road with good surface, etc. etc... Drive the car normally after this to cool off the brakes. Check the discs. They should be a nice silver color, looking fairly uniform across the disc surface.

Using the foot/parking brake to clean the rear discs on the Prius seems like a dodgy thing to do....

When depressing the pedal the click-detente engages, and doesnt release until you depress compeletely, and then it releases.

Creating one of those crazy STOPSSSS that another member was relating