Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Engine Won't Start - Please Help

vanessaevans

Hi

I have a 2000 Toyota Celica vvti 1.8. Today I drove it 80 mile round trip - no problem. I parked and went to drive it again and the door would not open with fob. I opened with the key but the engine would not start. I have finally got the fob sort of locking and unlocking (except it doesn't seem to lock the drivers door) but the engine will not start. It makes clicking sounds and the dashboard lights flash - both indicators, the Battery, engine management, oil light. It clicks rapidly. Then stops. Then clicks normally. Lights, etc. not working.

Is this just a Battery. I don't have any money right now to spend on a mechanic but as you can probably tell I'm not that mechanically gifted.

I've read lots of things about batteries in fobs (i'm not sure mine has one but I can't get it apart anyway) and opening, closing, opening, closing doors etc. but nothing makes sense.

Can someone please tell me what to try or advise if this is the normal dead Battery thing. Is it usual for it to go like a boeing one minute and just not start the next?

Any advice will be gratefully received.

Kind regards,

Vanessa

Hi Vanessa,

It's probably just the Battery in the car but it could be the starter solenoid itself. Do you know anybody that can give you a jump start to check?

If it is just the Battery then you will need to work out why it went flat - is it just old & failing to hold a charge or has the vehicle's charging system (alternator) developed a fault?

thank you for the reply.

I'll try get a jump start. I guess if this fails it will be the alternator or the starter solenoid? (assuming these are different things :-)

are these expensive repairs? problem is i can't drive it anywhere and, as luck would have it, I actually cancelled my breakdown cover just last week :-(

if the jump start fails (i.e. you still get just the clicking) it's probably the starter solenoid.

If it starts OK then it will be that the Battery went flat & you then have to work out whether it's the Battery itself or the charging system (alternator probably) that failed. When (if ever) was the car's Battery last replaced?

Sounds very much like your Battery has had it.!!...so it should be straight replacement.

..about £50-70...quickest bet would probably be your local Halfords or similar ...who will fit it for you if you need them to.

Neil

Thanks for that. I don't know if the Battery was changed. I bought the car in July. The Battery does look newish but then I am no expert. It doesn't have factory markign on it - just has sticker with varta DE. The connections are good and not corroded. I've just been outside and tried turning it when I checked the Battery and in addition to flashing dash lights and clicking it has beep beep beep noise now.

It is a typical sign of a failed Battery...modern batteries can fail in an instant and without any previous "warning" signs.

Try some jump leads...if it starts then you'll know for sure...if it still won't start then you'll need to look deeper.

If the Battery has simply lost charge then you need to check things like the boot light etc..to make sure nothing is being left on after you've locked the car, and draining the Battery.

Process of elimination I'm afraid.

Neil

Thank you. I'm going to try the jump leads and keep my fingers crossed that this is all it is. You were spot on with the price. It is around £47 and I can get it delivered and just "pop it in" (or rope someone in to do it!)

Sounds like a plan....if you do it yourself, take the NEGATIVE terminal off FIRST..and put it back LAST...even better if you can get someone else to do it.. ;)

Neil

Hi everyone

Right so I got the car Battery charged. Everything going good. I drove to Halfords who checked the Battery and said it has 11.9V on Battery but the alternator is showing an excessive ripple. Battery was actually fitted in 2009 :-0

I'm guessing that its pointless replacing the battery till I sort out the spiking. Is this a major problem? Is an altenerator an OK part to buy from salvage?

Has the Battery held it's new charge.?...and 6 years old.?..I'd still be suspicious of it tbh.

A used alternator would be ok...provided it's sold as tested and working of course.

Neil

The Battery has held its charge really well. I do have spare Battery from my old peugeot 1.8 but it is a more powerful one apparently. the man from Halfords said not to change Battery till i've repaired the alternator. i guess that makes sense. i found a used one on eBay for £50 so will order it and hope for the best.

Fair enough...hope it sorts the problem for you.

Neil

Hi the car battery how old is it possible the cells have collapsed try jump start if she starts with the jump renew battery.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Welcome...but do keep up, Billy.. :laughing: see previous posts... ;)

Neil

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links