Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Why Oh ...

scrooged

.... why am I so indicisive :ermm:.....

Manual or automatic...1.0 or 1.3....one day soon I'll decide...

Think I'm favouring the 1.3, but manual or auto :g: hmmmmm.

Any advice/preference as to Manual v Auto?

The only real way to decide is to test drive both, and see which one you prefer.

• Like 1

mpg is affected by auto thats the reason i went for the manual but i did test the auto 1.0 and the 1.3 in the end decided on the 1.3 due to the amount of motorway driving i do.

• Like 1

A bit hard to answer really. I have the 1.3 manual, the gear change feels perfect. I would only ever consider an automatic if I couldn't physically do a gear change any more. To me you feel more connected to the car via the gear stick.

Frosty has given you the best answer you could hope for and I agree 100% as everyone is different.

• Like 1

I get 50mpg in my auto. I'm 45 and can't be doing with changing gear anymore. Had auto gt86 before my iq.

• Like 1

I have had a 1.3 manual from new. I chose a manual because it saved me £1000 and I have been driving for 40 years and have always had a manual. It is a lovely super smooth 6 speed box. I learnt to drive on my father's 3 speed Ford Prefect and things have certainly improved since then! This 6 speed box is very slick. In addition on holidays in Europe it is easier to get manual hire cars at the moment so I like to keep in practice with a manual.

However if you are buying second hand and the price difference between a manual and an auto is not so big then try them both and see which you prefer!

The only disadvantage of a manual to me is it misses kick down. In an automatic if you want the car to accelerate in an emergency you just floor the throttle and it selects the best gear to accelerate in for you. In a manual you have to figure out which is the best gear to change down to for yourself. This is not a problem for an overtaking manoeuvre thought about in advance but is a problem if it is some situation where you suddenly decide you want to accelerate quickly.

• Like 1

Cheers for the replies guys :thumbsup: ....yup, think Frosty is right about a test drive.....still interesting to see different views too.

Sparrow, it depends on how many gears you drop down. For example, doing 40mph in 6th or 4th gear she is quite happy to drop straight down in to 2nd. You are then instantly in the power band and the VVTI has kicked in, she really does fly then if you keep you foot down to 6000rpm.

(only if road conditions and speed restrictions allow of course)

• Like 1

I opted for a 1.3 manual, and now wish I had tried an auto. I am forever finding I am in the wrong gear (the slightest slope means a need to change down one and sometimes 2 gears to keep up momentum) Having come from a Yaris Tsport which went every and anywhere in top gear it is a bit annoying. I am appreciating the cheap running costs however. £30 tax against £180 and up to 59.7 mpg (best fuelly to date) against 47.7 so mine is a love hate relationship. Does anyone out there have an immaculate 5dr Thunder grey yaris Tsport they want to swap for my silver 2010 Iq3 ??? I am missing the old girl so much even though I Im loving the running costs and refinement of the Iq. Cheers Colin

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I opted for a 1.3 manual, and now wish I had tried an auto. I am forever finding I am in the wrong gear (the slightest slope means a need to change down one and sometimes 2 gears to keep up momentum) Having come from a Yaris Tsport which went every and anywhere in top gear it is a bit annoying. I am appreciating the cheap running costs however. £30 tax against £180 and up to 59.7 mpg (best fuelly to date) against 47.7 so mine is a love hate relationship. Does anyone out there have an immaculate 5dr Thunder grey yaris Tsport they want to swap for my silver 2010 Iq3 ??? I am missing the old girl so much even though I Im loving the running costs and refinement of the Iq. Cheers Colin

It's just a matter of getting used to it; Just remember, these are *japanese* petrol engines - They're supposed to be revved to the moon to get them going! :lol:

I know what you mean tho'; I have the same thing with my Yaris D4D - It's go so much torque for a small car I can drive in 4th/5th practically everywhere. I always get a shock when I have to drive a petrol of even vaguely similar mpg rating and I get flashbacks of the horrible gutless Corsa I learned to drive in :sick: (What do you mean I need to use 2nd gear during normal driving?! :eek::lol:)

With all that's going on I'm dreading the day when I'm forced to part with my Yaris D4D :crybaby:

I am just praying that someone brings out a small electric car with 400+ miles of range that I can afford before that happens! (With a central digital-dash, sunroof+AC, lots of cubbies, sliding rear seats... :D)