Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Will I Get Points On My Licence For This?

roks

As far as I'm aware damage to a car tyre can result in a fine of up to £2,500 per tyre and possibly penalty points. So the answer is, you MAY have penalty points added to your licence.

Oooops .... how did you do that, kerbing ?

Do you mean you have been stopped by the police about it ?

If not and carrying on driving like that and you are stopped you could claim its just happened or you did not know about it, but thats still no defence.

As its sidewall damage, no one will repair it, so its a replacement tyre - have you not got a spare in the boot well ?

Would not drive on it myself, looks like you could have a total blowout any time, and thats also a lot more expensive than a new tyre !

This site and similar sites might enlighten you.

http://www.nopenaltypoints.co.uk/defectivetyres.html

Hey Frosty,

Sure Roks won't might me just changing the subject. but notice you have a 2012 Auris, new style I assume ?

Just wondered how you rate it vs my old 2006 Corolla, partic in the comfort and ride department; ie easy on the lumps and bumps as my old bones need cosseting these days !

No problem old codger. During a 3 point turn in a residential parking bay it caught the edge of the hinge on those folding bars.

I was in a hurry, I thought I was clear......

I think I've done about couple of hundred miles or so...mix of local traffic and 40-55mph A roads.

After reading talking to colleague about it he told about the points so I was a bit worried. ....now even more after reading both of your response.....waiting for daylight to go to tyre shop.

I am thinking of changing both fronts as the other has 2 puncture repairs done.

Can I mix the brands as the Goodyear is slightly cheaper and better rating for gap and lower noise.

Also, some say new tyres go on the rear, what's your thoughts on this.

Thanks

Can I mix the brands as the Goodyear is slightly cheaper and better rating for gap and lower noise.

Also, some say new tyres go on the rear, what's your thoughts on this.

I've been told you can mix tyres on the same axle as long as they are the same type, eg cross ply or radial, though not many buy cross ply these days.

Check with your tyre fitter to be sure though.

I always used to go for Michellin Energys but last time I went for the Goodyear EfficientGrips but to my mind they produce more annoying road roar on certain surfaces, back to Mich next time.

Yes, they say new ones to the rear, though must confess I don't always do that. - think its a case of the more worn the remaining 2 are, then the more relevant the new ones go to the back.

You can mix brands if you want but it's a good idea (not essential tho) to have them match on each axle, ie two goodyears on the front and two Michelins on the back is perfectly acceptable.

The reason they recommend new tyres go on the rear is that rear tyres don't usually wear as quick as the fronts, so they are often unchanged for years. They can get cracks and become unfit for use without you really knowing, since they've still got lots of tread so they look ok. If you always put the new ones on the rear then you're rotating the "old" ones before they get cracks. That's according to the tyre guy at my work.

Ok, where to place new tyre is sorted.

When you say cracks are you talking about this?

Is that safe or mot failure?

post-123867-0-41540600-1440851077_thumb.

post-123867-0-14174700-1440851128_thumb.

Yes that's the cracks I referred to, usually just due to their age. Probably not bad enough for an MOT failure but personally I'd put them on the front and let them wear out. If the MOT tester deems them unsafe he can fail the car but IMHO he's more likely to give you an advisory.

They are in the front now.....hopefully I'll have a new set by next mot....June 2016.

Thanks guys for you help, much appreciated.

a 2012 Auris, new style I assume ?

Just wondered how you rate it vs my old 2006 Corolla, partic in the comfort and ride department; ie easy on the lumps and bumps?

I'm not sure which new style Auris you mean, the latest shape is 2013 on IIRC. We have a 2011 Auris and it soaks up the bumps just nicely, it's pretty well padded and insulated and generally a nice serene place to be.

I'm not sure which new style Auris you mean, the latest shape is 2013 on IIRC. We have a 2011 Auris and it soaks up the bumps just nicely, it's pretty well padded and insulated and generally a nice serene place to be.

Hi,

Thought it was 2012 that the newer/facelifted version came out and then another facelift for 2015.

The pre 2012, original model, is the one I did not like, sounds daft , but it was that very high silver centre dash/console that put me off straight away.

The late 2012 onwards model looks better inside, looks very much like the Corolla under the skin.

a 2012 Auris, new style I assume ?

Just wondered how you rate it vs my old 2006 Corolla, partic in the comfort and ride department; ie easy on the lumps and bumps?

My second Auris is a first generation facelift (bought new in October 2012). See post 236 of the following (photoshoot was done when the car was about 15 months old) - http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/topic/88558-introducing-my-auris/page-24

The second generation Auris was a re-working of the first generation, rather than a new model. and retained the Type Approval from 2007. Production of the second generation began in October 2012, and went on sale in the UK from the start of December 2012.

I swopped my 2006 Corolla 1.4 for a new Auris 1.33 in 2009. Found it noticeably roomier in the cabin, not much difference in terms of performance, and more relaxed cruising due to the 6th gear. The stop/start system is welcome in traffic - live in Birmingham and my daily commute of 6.5 miles used to take between 30 minutes and an hour.

Yes its the second generation that looks better to me and would probably also go for the 1.33 vvti engine rather than the 1.2 Turbo.

Know too many of my mates who have needed new turbos all too often on their other makes of cars.

The sixth gear is what my 1.6 always feels like it needs, though being low geared does mean it really can accelerate.

Like the side and bumper moulding you have on yours, essential protection for me.

Something you might know being a mod /long time member - around Derby there are a few toyota dealers but wondered if some of them are more like a Toyota 'factory outlet' than a typical dealer , with better than average offers on s/hand cars ?

Not sure whether the Derbyshire dealers have better links with the factory.

I've used Inchcape at Burton for my last three Toyota purchases, after disappointing test drive and sales experiences with the Birmingham dealer (I wouldn't go back to the Birmingham dealer). Toyota GB was part of the Inchcape Group from 1978 to 2000, when Toyota assumed control, so there is a long history between Inchcape and Toyota. Certainly the supply of vehicles seems no problem - the longest I've had to wait to take delivery of a new car is two weeks.