Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Mark 2 Brake Pipe Replacement

redlew

I got a MOT advisory "Nearside front (to rear) brake pipe slightly corroded" and " Offside front (to rear) brake pipe slightly corroded". Mr T wants £605.09 to do job saying that the job requires removal of the fuel tank. I'll shop around but can it be done without removing the tank?

Anyone else had this done and if so what did you pay , please?

Thanks

As your motor did not fail the test I would suspect that this is just surface corrosion which could be arrested by a coating of grease

Have you had a look at the brake pipes yourself You are right to maybe go to an indie for a second opinion on this to check if the garage is touting for some work, it has been known!!!

Del

If it feels like touting for work consider it's described as 'slight' and it's on a 10 year old car. I suspect after a decade most of us will have slight surface corrosion but it shouldn't impact the functionality of the pipe. Why not have a look yourself, see what it's like and next time round use a different test station - ideally one that only does testing so has no interest in the outcome as they won't do the work.

Either way i'd be in no hurry to hand over £600+ at this stage.

I got a MOT advisory "Nearside front (to rear) brake pipe slightly corroded" and " Offside front (to rear) brake pipe slightly corroded". Mr T wants £605.09 to do job saying that the job requires removal of the fuel tank. I'll shop around but can it be done without removing the tank?

Anyone else had this done and if so what did you pay , please?

Thanks

I would suggest wire brushing the pipes and cover in grease end to end of car using a paint brush.

Thanks -it is going to a local independent for some other work so I'll get a second opinion. If it does need doing , is it a tank off job, please?

Update -Indie says petrol tank does not need to be removed and will do the whole job for £126 -but that cars have such advisories for years. Ho hum

If it's impairing function, safety or performance it gets done. If it's got minor cosmetic surface corrosion surely you can find better things to do with the money?

No it is not being done -as the Indie said, it could be an advisory for years without needing it.

Just coat them is grease then :)

As someone else mentioned, I'd be looking to replace the brake pipes non a 10 year old vehicle - remember, just about every brake pipe that starts leaking through corrosion was probably once an advisory item on an MOT. I've known even plastic coated pipes to be badly corroded under the fairleads or clamps where the coating has been split and since they don't remove wheels or other components during the MOT there could be areas that are worse than those visible.

Another thing about getting the dealer to replace them, at least you'll know they are the genuine article (probably Kunifer alloy pipes) and they'll be the proper shape. There's a lot of cheap piping comes out of China these days and it gets supplied either in coils or as kits supposedly custom made for your vehicle. I've seen some horror forming and fitting of brake pipes, pipes flattened around bend lines, excess length of piping doubled around axle casings and leaky unions dripping fluid due to incorrect flaring.

I thought garages bought a job lot of piping rather than pipes being supplied cut to size by a manufacturer. Is 10 years a sensible point to replace regardless of cost?

Reputable pipework (which if original will be) has for the size thick walls so will stand a bit of rust on them without rupturing

There would be many factors that would affect life expectancy like the conditions in which it is operated.

Do you for instance live on the coast exposing the car to salt water and or put it in a garage straight after it has been driven in the rain

Oh to live in a climate which is mainly dry and warm eh ??

Del

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links