Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Front Pad Shape

Ben565

Hi,

After the main dealer quoted me £500 for discs and pads all round on a 2012 Avensis 2.2 I decided to have a look at doing them myself. Last time I did discs and pads was on a Mk2 Golf.

I contacted MTEC for a quote on discs and pads, and they have given me two alternatives for the front pads which I'm a bit confused about

http://www.apecbraking.co.uk/catalogue/frictionview/item/friction-274448

or

http://www.apecbraking.co.uk/catalogue/frictionview/item/friction-274454

The second link looks like they are for drum brakes, on the front !? Any idea's? I would say I need the ones in the first link.

They're both coming up as a Horizon 1978 on my screen.

edit...also note Toyota fixed price repairs quote front discs and pads at £240 plus rears at £220

• Like 1

Oh yeah, well that's not filling me with confidence that MTEC know anything at all.

do the research your self

http://www.apecbraking.co.uk/catalogue/frictionParts/range/friction-2667 (I believe apec are budgets)

http://www.brakebook.com (go for mintex or pagid)

or buy from www.eurocarparts.com (go for pagid)

have you tried ringing your local toyota parts department and asking just to buy the discs and pads or for a discount try lindop toyota (partsking) on here.

I have dealt with lexus birmingham in the past who can get hold of toyota parts

I've already done the research myself, I already looked online and at ECP. Besides recommendations on discs and pads and where to get them from is not really what I was asking for either !?

Threads resolved, MTEC sent me the wrong links.

I've already done the research myself, I already looked online and at ECP. Besides recommendations on discs and pads and where to get them from is not really what I was asking for either !?

Threads resolved, MTEC sent me the wrong links.

I think the reply 'I' gave you was quite reasonable & helpful, had you bothered to read properly your response from MTEC in the first place you would have seen it was the wrong information as 'I' and I did, and had you done that there would have been no reason to post any comment at all! glad you have got it sorted tho'

• Like 1

I'm sure "I" is quite capable of standing up for himself.

Have you never missed something blindingly obvious in a manual or diagram ?

I tried to help that is all

It seems Ben is looking for an argument. I have no more time for him or his questions.

do the research your self

http://www.apecbraking.co.uk/catalogue/frictionParts/range/friction-2667 (I believe apec are budgets)

http://www.brakebook.com (go for mintex or pagid)

or buy from www.eurocarparts.com (go for pagid)

have you tried ringing your local toyota parts department and asking just to buy the discs and pads or for a discount try lindop toyota (partsking) on here.

I have dealt with lexus birmingham in the past who can get hold of toyota parts

"I" , two years ago I changed my discs and pads to ADL Blueprint and they warped after a time. I replaced them with a set from Eurocarparts and they warped after a short while. The got Apec brakes which I had used with no problem before, and so far fine.

The mating surfaces are always clean, plus I changed the brake fluid. The callipers and pistons are working fine. The brakes have been good so far.

My experience with my car has been good with Apec, and the Blueprint stuff surprised me with the brake judder. The Eicher stuff did not impress me at all. The build quality was far lower than the other brands, and the pads kept clicking.

They all were roughly the same price with the Eichers the cheapest. If you go to Euro car parts, get the Pagid as the minimum.

• Like 1

It didn't seem you had time for me or my questions in the first place when you told me to go do the research myself. Implying I hadn't bothered to look up which pads and discs to buy, when in fact I had. I was simply unsure which of the front pads was the correct shape as there are two depending on which calipers you might have. As it turns out I had missed something obvious in the mtec info.

I don't see how I am looking for an argument, when someone asks a simple question replying and saying go look it up yourself is only going to get peoples backs up.

Perhaps I interpreted your reply incorrectly? in which case I apologise if you found my response rather terse and argumentative.

Ben, What ever brakes you buy, it will be far cheaper than the dealers and more satisfying fitting yourself.

I responded to "I" about my experience of brakes to my car.

It is great that you do the research, whilst asking the forum.

The problem I have noticed, is that the people who have the answers, are either away for various reasons, or not members of the forum.

That is why I post my experiences have with my car. Somebody like you may need an answer in the future.

PS: The car must be used a lot in 3 years.

Yeah def cheaper than having it done at the dealers, although I gather the rears are main dealer only due to the electric handbrake, unless you buy a tool to plug in.

It's done about 32,000 miles and it's the first set of pads it's needed. Dealer may be being a bit fussy about discs, said they were excessivly lipped.

• Like 1

Yeah def cheaper than having it done at the dealers, although I gather the rears are main dealer only due to the electric handbrake, unless you buy a tool to plug in.

It's done about 32,000 miles and it's the first set of pads it's needed. Dealer may be being a bit fussy about discs, said they were excessivly lipped.

If the lip is minimal, then there should be no problems, apart from a slight bedding in period. I would be more concerned if the discs were scored.

There is a minimal thickness for the discs, that is quoted in the specs.

I now tend to change the discs with pads, because they are well scored/grooved and normally do about 5 years. The wear rate seems low on my MK1 T22.

Not a fan of the EPB and apart from the known reliability issue on some, the simple job changing the rears is out of the window. Bring back the simple cable!

Fixed price pads change at Toyota isn't too bad priced.

good pads will cost 40>70 to buy.. discs around 30£ > 40 per corner

and then the fitting.. especially the rears on the T27..