Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Upgraded Upgraded Interior Lights By Tarquin

en8wall

Like many on here I've bemoaned the shockingly bad interior lighting on the IQ.

This weekend Tarquin (David) paid me a visit to work his wonders on my IQ2 lighting. I opted for the upgraded front dome and also rear LED lights in the headlining but I believe I'm the first along with David to have new mini dome LED'S he has discovered that screw into the roof lining rather than LEDs being stuck on.

Without over doing the outcome, the results are simply astounding. The difference in lighting is total....the car lights up like a football floodlight has been put in the roof (slight exaggeration). The job David has done is totally professional in its outcome and i've attached some pics. The pics I took at night don't do the change justice. If you're thinking about upgrading your interior lights don't delay and get it done with the dark nights coming.

Thanks again to David.

post-123592-144156741333_thumb.jpg

post-123592-144156744602_thumb.jpg

post-123592-144156746262_thumb.jpg

post-123592-144156748238_thumb.jpg

post-123592-144156749907_thumb.jpg

post-123592-144156751427_thumb.jpg

post-123592-144156752793_thumb.jpg

post-123592-144156754749_thumb.jpg

post-123592-144156755928_thumb.jpg

post-123592-144156757853_thumb.jpg

post-123592-144156759243_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Nicely done. The original interior light is really annoying.

I was going to swap my white side mirror covers with the chrome ones but looking at the black ones in the picture above is making in it extra hard to choose

It's really worth while having the interior light upgraded, message Tarquin for details. Very easy upgrade.

The door mirrors aren't painted black...i had my white ones wrapped in gloss black by vehicle wrapper. Gives me the option of peeling it off if I want at a later date.

It unclipped so easily it's frightening. Simply slip thin object between roof lining and right hand side of light and it lifts off. Couldn't believe it was so simple.

It's really worth while having the interior light upgraded, message Tarquin for details. Very easy upgrade.

The door mirrors aren't painted black...i had my white ones wrapped in gloss black by vehicle wrapper. Gives me the option of peeling it off if I want at a later date.

Does it have any impact on the Battery? My understanding is that the IQ's Battery is small

Nope, no affect on Battery at all. Tarquin upgrades unit completely, including resistors and bulb location, watched him do mine. Clever guy.

I did my own upgrade fitting more LED's and fitting footwell lights as well but the current drawn by LED's is so small it really doesn't make a difference.

I'm no electronics expert, more of a mechanical engineer but, the time the interior light would take to drain the iQ Battery is probably measured in weeks rather than hours.

Craig.

I did my own upgrade fitting more LED's and fitting footwell lights as well but the current drawn by LED's is so small it really doesn't make a difference.

I'm no electronics expert, more of a mechanical engineer but, the time the interior light would take to drain the iQ battery is probably measured in weeks rather than hours.

Craig.

Good to hear this, thanks :)

For people querying the rear light installation. Its done with ease by first removing the Dome light which takes about 10 sec, then peeling off the top of the rubber on tbe passenger side and using stiff wire as a "mouse" pulling through my custom cable indide the roof lining.Then peeling off the rubber at the top of the rear hatch opening and then feeding the "mouse" to the rear avoiding snagging the Airbags on the way in the same manor as the front. The Dome would have been already modified and incorporate a floating socket to accept the rear custom cable. In the rear, the mini domes are marked out on the strip of roof lining just in from the hatch opening. Small holes in tbe roof lining are made to occomodate the thread of the mini domes and they sre threaded in and finished off with a securing nut. Connection is made with Wago latchable connectors. The door surrounds are easily restored

David

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Tarquin, can you message the cost of the mods to me please? I am seriously considering it.

Thanks,

Mark

• 3 weeks later...

The interior light on the IQ is really shocking, I am wondering how it passed QC.

David, I have sent you a PM.

Slight change in thread direction; I'm in the process of installing new interior footwell and rear LEDs, and am speaking to David about his modified dome, but I'd also like to install some night time accent LEDs in useful locations (under 12v socket, cup holders, aux input), as I find inside the IQ really very dark at night!

These are just faint 12v 3mm single LEDs in plastic housings, and I'd like them to be on whenever the headlights are on. I'm going to make up a wiring loom for all of them, but need to find a source to power them.  Can anyone recommend where I can connect into the wiring loom? Somewhere near the centre console or passenger footwell would be ideal as I've already got to route wiring through there?

Cheers, Oli

Hi oli

i have sent you a mail to your premierengineering account outlining info on Dome

for your 12v feed for the 3mm accent leds you can take it from the led feed on the back of the traction control button on the consul near the 12v aux socket. I have done this on other illuminated switches i have installed for switching my rear camera ans HUD on

David

• 2 weeks later...

David came to my house today and fitted the interior light kit.

Great job and a we had a lovely chat about the IQ and things various.

Thanks David.

DSC_0156.JPG

DSC_0154.JPG

DSC_0164.JPG

DSC_0163.JPG

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

I fitted the lights today after getting them back from David on Monday, at first it was a bit difficult to do on my own but with some perseverance, I got there in the end and had the lights in place after 45 minutes.

The effect is a massive improvement and I am quite happy with it all.

DSC_0028.JPG

• Like 1

This upgrade is fantastic.

David did my car a month ago.

Every time I get in the car when it is dark it makes me smile......

Well done David

• Like 1

Hey David, would very much like to get my lights done too if you have some free time :)