Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Help: 'check Vsc System' & 'check Parking Brake' T

Shaz96

My Toyota avensis d4d 2.0 tr business edition developed a fault where it displays 'Check Vsc System' & 'Check Parking Brake', These faults used to happen intermittent however now the lights on the dash are permanent feature.. Very disappointed in Toyota as the vehicle has just gone over the 100,000 mile warranty limit and was just wondering if anyone else has this fault any ideas what it can be?

P.s, just spoke to one of my friends who also has a 2010 toyota avensis t4 - His vehicle has just developed this fault and the lights come on about 3 times a week and stay there for the whole day.. seems like it is a common fault, he advised they started to appear soon after he changed his brake pads.

Toyota are saying that it is highly likely it is the brake actuator which has corroded possibly due to jet washing the wheels :(

Please need some advice as toyota quoted £1200+

I thought Toyota's are meant to be reliable!!!

Has the car given much trouble in it's 100,000 miles plus? Moved to the Avensis club.

"P.s, just spoke to one of my friends who also has a 2010 toyota avensis t4 - His vehicle has just developed this fault and the lights come on about 3 times a week and stay there for the whole day.. seems like it is a common fault, he advised they started to appear soon after he changed his brake pads."

who did the work & are they oem pads? Iirc you are meant to recalibrate the system (connect laptop) when you do this, perhaps he/they didn't?

"Toyota are saying that it is highly likely it is the brake actuator which has corroded possibly due to jet washing the wheels :(
Please need some advice as toyota quoted £1200+

I thought Toyota's are meant to be reliable!!!"

Tbh it seems par for the course with EPB actuators & water ingress, I think that you will find VAG group are worse. There was something similar with an Audi (iirc) on HonestJohn recently. Unfortunately all mass market manufacturers are moving towards EPB.

• Like 1

Can't read any of that??except the last bit from heidfirst.i guess it's about the silly parking brake?I guess it's made to break so the stealers can make more money from us!

Hi have you checked your brake lights to see if they are working?,this happened to me a few weeks ago and it was the brake light switch.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

@Deakin sometimes the brake lights work and sometimes they don't. If it is the switch how much are we looking?

Hi again this is quite a cheap fix £25 for the part of Toyota and £20 to have it fitted,nit bad but the first time I have ever had to do this on a toyota.

• 1 month later...

hi guy new member shaz96 have your egv clean out and this will do the job .don:t forget to disconect the Battery to reset the lights on your dash

hi guy new member shaz96 have your egv clean out and this will do the job .don:t forget to disconect the battery to reset the lights on your dash

What's this about cleaning out ur egr valve,have u found some sort of cleaning products?

@dave16 how would i clean the egr valve as a mechanic has said he will have to replace it at a cost over £360???? is it a job i can do my self . Also it would seem the car has lost the majority of its power been parked up for a few months...

• 1 month later...

These lights came on on my d4d recently after driving thru a rain storm. Unfortunately they were accompanied by an engine noise and loss of power. Had to be lifted off the motorway. The car is in the shop now for over 4 weeks. All injectors replaced...still no joy....now looking at "the 5th injector ??", whatever that is..Any ideas .

D-CATs have a 5th injector. Not sure about other DPF equipped cars.

13 hours ago, Deakin said:

Never ever heard of a car having a 5th injector.

I had a 5 cylinder Jeep Grand Cherokee that had a 5th injector. Number 5 cylinder wouldn't have worked without it!  :biggrin:

• Like 1

• 3 years later...

Hi there mate i had the exact same thing , check parking brake system and also says check VSC system its a toyota avensis 2.2 D-CAT TR auto. Took it to the garage had a scan and the DPF code came up, mechanic told me i had a choice whether to buy the whold dpf which was pretty expensive or just clean it out which was called regeneration regenerating the fuel or whatnot and ive been driving it now with no problems id definitely check that first if thats the problem. If anyone needs any information , can reach me on this email. Asa48457@gmail.com

• Thanks 1

Asa656, welcome to TOC 🙂

You do realise that the last post on this thread was 3 years ago though?

• 2 years later...
On 1/28/2016 at 1:06 AM, Deakin said:

Never ever heard of a car having a 5th injector.

Yes toyota avensis diesel d4d has 5th injector in exhaust

On 5/18/2021 at 10:17 PM, Aj. S said:

Yes toyota avensis diesel d4d has 5th injector in exhaust

hi there quick question i have a Autel MAXIDIAG ELITE MD802 ALL System Diagnostic Scan Tool well i was looking threw it and i think this can regen the dpf filter to clean it i never tried as well didnt want to break something has anyone got this scan tool and tried it by chance