Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Key/remote Help For New Purchase.

northernmonkeyz

Hi.

I just bought a 2003 Celica 140 7 gen and all it came with is the valet key and a remote with the key blade snapped off (I still have the snapped blade).

The remote part still works to lock and unlock and the valet key starts it up fine (although it wont open the door).

I have bought a replacement case for the remote to swap the electronics into.

I have been looking to get a second key as a back up and looked at this -

Will this key work to open the doors and start the car once cut and programmed using the programming guides?

If it does, will opening the door/starting the engine set off the alarm if I don't have the 2 button remote?

I don't suppose you know where I can also get a remote to programme to keep as a spare?

I have looked on eBay but have no idea what I am buying!

Cheers,

Al

I think from what you've said that a trip to your friendly Toyota dealer is unavoidable. :(

Neil

I just bought a 2003 Celica 140 7 gen and all it came with is the valet key and a remote with the key blade snapped off (I still have the snapped blade).
The remote part still works to lock and unlock and the valet key starts it up fine (although it wont open the door).
I have bought a replacement case for the remote to swap the electronics into.
I have been looking to get a second key as a back up and looked at this -
Will this key work to open the doors and start the car once cut and programmed using the programming guides?
If it does, will opening the door/starting the engine set off the alarm if I don't have the 2 button remote?
I don't suppose you know where I can also get a remote to programme to keep as a spare?
I have looked on eBay but have no idea what I am buying!

You need to figure out what you have at the moment.

Compare the broken blade with the valet key - if the "cuts" match there's a fair chance the ignition barrel hasn't been changed.

Check if the valet key works the passenger door and boot. If it does there's a fair chance you just have a seized lock.

If the key doesn't work in any lock try freeing one off with WD40 and working it. Or remove it and leave in a puddle of oil overnight and work it. Usually if you can get it to turn even a slight bit you can work them free with a bit of care.

If they won't free off they'll need repaced (or at least one will) so you can enter the car if you get a flat Battery etc. Your options are: Buy a lock set and matching key from a breaker (which won't work the ignition unless you also swap it); Buy a new lock from Toyota using your chassis number (and hope you were right about the valet key being the original); Buy a new set and key combo from Toyota.

I don't know which new key would work with your car but the alarm would almost definitely go off if you unlock with a key and open the door. To test this... open a window, lock the car with the remote, leave for a couple of mins to settle, lean in the window and unlock the door, open the door from the outside, insert the valet key into ignition and turn it... and see where along this process the alarm goes off and stops.

The programming could be tricky - sometimes the key has a chip imbedded in the head which the ignition barrel reads thus allowing it to start. I don't know whether your particular car has this or not but it might be an idea to speak to a car locksmith and see what they could do for you. And would they still do it if you sourced the necessary parts yourself.

Hi

Thanks for the reply.

Both blades are the same and work.

I tried the driver door again with the valet key and it works but as you guessed the alarm went off.

The blade from the remote is in tact just the plastic snapped so its no longer on the remote. A replacement for the remote case is on its way,

So I have a working valet key and a working remote key.,

What I want is a spare remote key in case I lose the original,

Will this have to be done with the dealer or a different way and will it cost a bomb?

A video on youtube shows you can programme one. I typed remote fob programming celica into google and it was the first hit.

Hi,

Thanks for everyone’s comments so far.

I got my replacement remote case with a blank blade and then
got the blade cut off the snapped master key.

When I try the new blade in the lock it won’t turn and when
I try it in the ignition it won’t turn.

Could this be a security thing or a wrongly cut key?

Just trying to save a small fortune!

Al

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

hi

it say it comes with chip if it dose all you need to cut the blade and reprogram it .

you will only be able to start the car and lock and unlock door manually.

check other e bay item which comes with remote control(fob) and chip and blade after reprogram it you will have keyless entry and also start the car.

hope it would help

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links