Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Autoexpress 2015 All-season Tyre Test

Heidfirst

With Autumn upon us & Winter looming on the horizon ...

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/accessories-tyres/92863/all-season-tyres-test-2015-top-all-weather-tyres-tested

Includes the new Nokian Weatherproof & Pirelli All Season vs summer & winter control tyres.

But of an odd review that; When I first read it I thought that the Nokian was pretty damned impressive, within 5% of a summer tyre in e.g. dry braking, but on reading further the 95% it achieved in the dry braking is vs a 110% for the summer tyre so the results are a bit misleading.

I still don't think winter or all-season tyres are worth it down here where we get snow maybe one week a year tops (We didn't get any last year!!), but it's good to see the all-season tyres are getting better.

They just need to figure out a way to make them bite better under braking and understeer less in summer!

On a slight tangent, I'm in the market for some new tyres as I'm now well and ready to get shot of these awful Cooper CS2's.

My default choice is to go back to the lovely Conti PC2e's I put on my first Yaris but if anyone has any other suggestions they'd be welcome!

I also need to decide whether to put puncturesafe in them again; The high speed transitional vibration is really not nice, but OTOH being able to drive through roads with debris and sharp stones with total confidence is a really nice feeling :S

I think winter tyres are worth it for the peace of mind, don't forget its not just snow they perform in, they perform much better than all season and summer tyres under 7 degrees in wet conditions and also when there is black ice on the roads in the mornings. I put them on generally from November to April.

Yeah, that's been my beef with all-season tyres in the past; Effectively you were getting a tyre that performs like a budget summer tyre in summer and a budget winter tyre in winter :lol:

But they have gotten a lot better, and these days the line between an all-season tyre and a winter-tyre is very narrow. Continental don't even sell an all-season tyre, as their winter tyre is just as good as an all-season tyre in summer anyway!